INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem Solving -- The Basics  (Read 5977 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Problem Solving -- The Basics
« on: August 09, 2020, 01:23:11 pm »

I'm starting this thread to provide help to those who are having trouble and can't find an answer.  These are just general methods.

Ask Google
Just type your question into a Google Search and add the word JRiver.  How to Search

Getting Started
Read Getting Started.  You just need to download and install the program, then restore your license.  Don't miss Audio Setup on the wiki.

Licensing
A typo in your license won't work.  Neither will trying to use the license with the wrong version of MC.
License Problems

Forums?
Read This

Remote Control
Read about Media Network and Access Key on the wiki.

Audio Issues
Turn up the volume.  Read about Volume on the wiki.  Try another output (DirectSound, WASAPI, ASIO).  Read about Weird Problems.

Video Issues
Drivers are a constant source of problems.  The newest may not be the best.  Consult the manufacturer of your video hardware.

Weird Problems
Antivirus software (including, but not limited to, Windows Defender) is the most common cause, but there are many other possibilities.
Taming Windows Defender
Weird Problems
Antivirus Problems
Diagnosing Crash Problems

New Problem?
Often, it's a new cause.  If you have a problem that you haven't had before, consider changes you've made with your machine or setup.  OS updates can cause new problems. 

Backup and Restore
MC makes automatic backups as zip files.  You can make them manually if you're about to make a lot of changes.  Backup and Restore are under File > Library.

Network
It's your responsibility, not ours, so make sure you understand it.  You can usually find helpful information on the web site of the manufacturer of your equipment.  Ask Google.  If the terminology is unfamiliar, Ask Google.

Triage
This is a very useful way to diagnose a problem and one we use at JRiver all the time.  Experiment with simple substitutions to see if the problem remains or goes away.  For example, try a different output device (DAC, etc.).  Try a different machine.  Uninstall antivirus.  All of these just to reduce the scope of possible causes so that you can focus in the right place.

Do No Harm
Don't change a lot of things at once.  If you do this and then find a problem, you'll be guessing which change caused it.

Keep a Clean Machine
Don't install a lot of "helpful" (we're looking at you, registry cleaners) software.  If you're not using software, uninstall it.

Search First, Then Ask
Here's how to post.

If You Ask for Help, Give us a Clue
"The sound stopped working" isn't enough.  OS, full version of MC from Help > About.  What are you playing?  To what device?  Across the network?  And so on.  The more information you provide, the more likely it is that you will get a helpful answer.

Frustrated with Your Problem?
Leave the frustration out of your post.  Stick to the facts and focus on solving the problem. Posting in a calm and polite manner encourages people to help you.

Ready to Give Up?
Don't.  We can almost always help you solve your problem if you don't give up.  We won't quit if you don't.

Other Resources
If you have a few minutes, please browse our wiki, and take a look at what's available on this forum.

These are great ways to become more familiar with MC and the great support community.

JimH

• Administrator
Re: Problem Solving -- The Basics
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2020, 01:23:58 pm »

This is a work in progress.  Feel free to add topics and links.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 07:42:08 pm »

A lot of projects have a "form" that you have to fill out to file a bug/make a support request, and it might be helpful to provide a template for folks (either as a suggestion or as a mandatory thing).  Some projects will respond to any non-conforming request by asking folks to post the required info before they'll look at it, which sometimes forces folks to stop and think for a few minutes, which might solve some easy issues.  If nothing else it focuses people's attention on the kinds of things they need to think about and the info they need to provide to get help.

Something like

When making support requests, please fill out the following:

Summary of the Issue:

Steps to Reproduce the Issue:

What You Expect to Happen:

What Actually Happens:

Provide the exact text of error messages received (if any):

Steps You Have Tried to Resolve the Issue:

Other Info

Operating System and Version (i.e. "Windows 10" or "Debian Linux Buster"):

Full Version of JRiver (i.e. 26.0.103):

Sound Card:

Video Card:

You'd probably want more stuff in there, this is just notional.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 08:57:40 pm »

A lot of projects have a "form" that you have to fill out to file a bug/make a support request, and it might be helpful to provide a template for folks (either as a suggestion or as a mandatory thing).  Some projects will respond to any non-conforming request by asking folks to post the required info before they'll look at it, which sometimes forces folks to stop and think for a few minutes, which might solve some easy issues.  If nothing else it focuses people's attention on the kinds of things they need to think about and the info they need to provide to get help.
You're right, of course.  As usual.  But I'm allergic to forms.  They just seem unfriendly.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 09:30:12 pm »

You're right, of course.  As usual.  But I'm allergic to forms.  They just seem unfriendly.

That's certainly fair!  Finding the right tone can be hard in customer service  ;D

DrKNo

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2020, 07:25:39 am »

A lot of projects have a "form" that you have to fill out to file a bug/make a support request, and it might be helpful to provide a template for folks.

So not to get in on the wrong foot: JRiver staff have gone out of their way to help me at all times. However, it did happen that threads just stopped receiving replies, and I honesty don't think it was intentional - once a few answers come in, they go off the radar. If I opened a new topic, the problem that would have been "forgotten" was always solved - so it's obviously not about the intention, but about tracking things. Have you considered using a bug tracker? Many people are used to them these days and modern ones, like github, make linking and cross referencing incredibly easy.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2020, 08:00:51 am »

If you've lost track of your old thread, you can review your posts in your profile.

DrKNo

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2020, 08:12:28 am »

If you've lost track of your old thread, you can review your posts in your profile.

Sorry, that's a misunderstanding. I didn't lose track of my threads, what happened is that staff stopped replying to problem solving threads. Mostly after there was a "cannot reproduce" and I came up with better steps later. What I mean is: I don't think that was intentional and could be avoided with bug tracking and explicit issue opening/closing.

PS: This is an example: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,124700.msg863595.html#msg863595
Pages: [1]   Go Up