INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving music to new base folder  (Read 1822 times)

YankeeInLondon

• Recent member
Moving music to new base folder
« on: September 13, 2020, 06:10:53 pm »

I have 1.2 TB of music on a drive and have recently bought a much faster SSD to put it on. The music has been moved over but now I'm wondering how can I change the libraries references to the new location. Note, the directory structure and files are identical but the entry point is different (aka., /Expando/Music/HD was entry point now it's just /music).

I do try to keep my meta data (which includes custom attributes that I added myself) synced to the files but it's a big library and I'm not sure all of it is there plus in cases where I have a FLAC file representing an album (not an individual song) then some of the meta doesn't make it into these files.

YankeeInLondon

• Recent member
Re: Moving music to new base folder
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 06:11:40 pm »

NOTE: for the moment I am able to mount both entry points but want to reclaim the space on the slower drive soon.

YankeeInLondon

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 06:14:01 pm »

If I DO need to import all the music into a new library (my last resort), is there a simple way to bring the custom properties along to the new library?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 07:18:40 pm »

If I DO need to import all the music into a new library (my last resort)

Absolutely do not re-import. Re-importing is almost never required to fix anything in MC.

This topic has been written about many time on the forum. A search would find lots of threads.

Just use the "Rename, Move and Copy Files" (RM&CF) function, with the "Move all non-imported files...", "Directory" and "Filename" checkboxes unticked, then use the "Find & Replace" function at the bottom of the RM&CF dialogue with:
Find: /Expando/Music/HD
Replace: /music

Backup your Library first, just in case. MC also does automatic backup regularly, but you should do a manual backup before the above just to be sure you have the latest.

The Wiki describes it all.
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Moving_Files (An older article.)
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_and_Copy_Files

More specifically:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_and_Copy_Files#Find_.26_Replace
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Find_and_Replace_Template
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

YankeeInLondon

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 08:10:47 pm »

Well I did search and got nothin ... searched for "move files" ... in general I always try searching first but i find the search to work terribly.

I also figured I mind be able to do something with find and replace but the fact that no options show in Tools => Library Tools until you select files threw me for a bit. Eventually, I looked at the dialog box for moving files and panicked with all the stuff that was going on.

I went through the effort of saying all this because I really love this tool, I really love the community too but for those who know all the tricks please just help ... don't shame with comments like "it's easy to find in search" because ... it isn't.

If there is one thing this tool suffers from is the poor UX combined with the poor search (and therefore accessible institutional knowledge). Even with all the help provided by @RoderickGI I had to double check everything 4-5 times before I was convinced I was doing the right thing.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2020, 08:36:42 pm »

Sorry, the mention of searching wasn't intended to shame. It was intended mostly for other readers just to lift the effort people make before asking questions.

I would estimate about 98% of people who ask questions haven't searched the forum or Wiki. I see a lot of questions repeated again and again.

But I understand that not everyone is familiar with how this forum software works. Some things aren't obvious. For example, from your image, I can see that you were in the "JRiver Media Center 26 for Mac" forum board (specific page) and used the search box at the top right of that forum. That search box will only search the current forum board and not the whole Interact Forum. I almost never use that search box for that reason. I use the SEARCH menu item near the top left of the page, which lets me choose which forums boards to search. See the attached image.

I got 113 hits searching the whole forum for "move files". Adding the word "Drive" reduced that to 32 hits, and the first one led me to a thread with the answer. Again, I'm sharing this so that readers will learn, not to make it sound easy or put anyone down for not knowing it.

There is also a Google search available under the "Support" menu at the top of the forum page, which only searches the JRiver site and can find hard to locate information.

It sounds like you have it fixed though, so great.  :)
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2020, 08:42:47 pm »

Roderick's info is good and correct.  "Rename, Move and Copy Files" will also keep all playlist links in line

I went through this recently.  Backing up first is key.  Then I suggest you do just a few to make sure you have the path and other parts correct.  Do it in batches until you're sure it's all working correctly.

YankeeInLondon

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2020, 12:59:45 pm »

Yes it appears to have worked for me now. Thanks @RoderickGI. Also good to know how to better utilize search. I do really love how helpful this group is ... a power community attached to a power tool.
Pages: [1]   Go Up