INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 9.1 audio  (Read 932 times)

SMU2027

• Recent member
9.1 audio
« on: September 17, 2020, 04:22:19 pm »

Long time user of JRiver. I just purchased a 9.1 Marantz Avr. Under the dap studio channel settings 7.1 is a choice, but not 9.1. Was wondering if there are any 9.1 audio fans here who know a workaround or if It over could implement a 9.1 setting. 

Thanks in advance.

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: 9.1 audio
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 05:24:52 pm »

What's your source of audio with more than 7.1 channels, and how are you desiring to output it? (discrete channels, encoded, etc).  MC can bitstream Atmos content.  Bluray discs are limited to 8 channels.

rec head

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2020, 06:14:44 am »

To expand on Wer's response. A 9.1 channel AVR is a 7.1 AVR with 2 extra channels that can be used for height or wide channels. These extra channels can be used by either being fed Atmos or DTS:X formats or upmixing to them. If you don't plan on adding the extra speakers then set to 7.1 and you are done.

To feed the AVR DTS:X or Atmos you must set MC to bitstream.

To upmix anything that is not DTS:X or Atmos to use the speakers you need to choose an upmixer to do it. The upmixers are either Dolby Surround or DTS Neural:X.

Now here is the problem and it is fairly easy to get around. If you want DTS:X or Atmos you need to bitstream, if you want any DSP by MC you can't bitstream. MC has a solution: Zones and Zone Switch. It is not hard to setup. It is what I and many others have done. You create 2 zones, one for DTS:X and Atmos and one for everything else. Then you set up a Zone Switch rule that will switch between them.

SMU2027

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2020, 04:05:14 am »

Thanks to you both. It helped my understanding a lot!
Pages: [1]   Go Up