INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [EDIT - BAD CABLES] Does MC only access one tuner or am I doing something wrong?  (Read 823 times)

CZ Eddie

• Junior Woodchuck

[EDIT - BAD CABLES WERE THE ISSUE]

I have MC on two PC's.  One running last week's version of 27 and one running today's new version of 27.
I had the older 27 PC playing live TV.
Then I went to play live TV on the new 27 PC also, but it was unable to lock any channels.

I do have two  tuners, both are configured in both instances of 27.
Am I missing a step or does MC not move to tuner 2 when tuner 1 is already in use somewhere  on a different PC?

I'm using HDHomern network tuner.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Does MC only access one tuner or am I doing something wrong?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 06:21:00 pm »

When you run MC on multiple computers, and do not use client-server setup, there is a potential of conflict as both might try to use the same tuner.  Having said that, however, I believe HDHomeRun (I assume your two tuners are on the same device, like an HDHomeRun Dual) should automatically switch to the tuner available.

Even with HDHomeRun's ability to automatically allocate tuners, it is still advisable to set tuner orders on different computers.  On computer A, set tuner 0 before tuner 1, and on computer B, set tuner 1 before tuner 0.  This will reduce the chance of conflict.

In standard Television view, click Show Status, you can check the status of each tuner as reported by MC on each computer.

Which HDHomeRun are you using?
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

CZ Eddie

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 11:29:02 am »

I haven't researched client/server setup yet, I didn't even know that was a thing.

I'm using the SiliconDust HDHomerun HDHR-US two-tuner.
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/nEsAAOSwD~FfQLCt/s-l1600.jpg

I've used it for many years now with WMC and did not encounter this issue with WMC.

As a test, I configured PC1 for Tuner0 and PC2 for Tuner1.
Then started watching TV on PC2/Tuner1.
Then tried to watch TV on PC1/Tuner0 and got some message like "fatal error" or something like that.  It sounded pretty morbid.  hahah

Then I tried resetting TV settings on PC2/Tuner1 and kicked off a new channel scan on Tuner0 and got the following error:

"The specified tuner is in use and not available"

I'll try to get WMC back up and running on a different PC and make sure the HDHomeRun doesn't have any new issues.
WMC is not running on my current PC's.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 11:58:37 am »

It appears that something was using the tuner.  Even though you were not using WMC to watch anything at the moment, WMC could be using the tuner to perform background tasks.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

CZ Eddie

• Junior Woodchuck

One of the two RG6 going into my HDHR was faulty.
I replaced both cables with new compression fittings and RG6 and MC has no issues connecting on two PC's simultaneously now!

Pages: [1]   Go Up