INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pono - JRiver Software  (Read 3571 times)

gregbart76

Pono - JRiver Software
« on: September 21, 2020, 01:47:05 pm »

I just bought the latest version of JRiver for my Pono and when I tried to sync my sd cards they stopped working on the Pono. I would like to sync my JRiver collection with my Pono and a new Sandisk external 256 GB ultra SD card so I can listen to my whole collection on my Pono. Now I can't listen to anything on my old 64GB SD cards my Pono

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Pono - JRiver Software
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 09:56:55 am »

I use MC to sync to a 400GB SD card for my Pono and it works well. I use the card in a USB3 SDCard reader to get the best speed (syncing through the Pono is excruciatingly slow).

If your original 64GB card no longer works without any changes, it's possible your Pono SDCard slot has gone bad, one of our test Pono's did exactly that.

If that's not the case, what are you running MC on (Windows, Mac or linux)?
Did you format the new SDCard before using it? If so, what format did you use?
What file types are you copying to the new Pono SDCard and what are your handheld settings in MC?

gregbart76

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 03:52:48 am »

I do not sync through the Pono for reasons you mention below.

The Pono was working fine with two 64 GB prior to using MC, so not sure the Pono SD slot is the issue.

I am running Windows 8.1.
I did not format the card before using and am copying .flac and mp3 file. I am not sure what settings you are referring to in MC?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 10:59:44 am »

I do not sync through the Pono for reasons you mention below.

The Pono was working fine with two 64 GB prior to using MC, so not sure the Pono SD slot is the issue.

I am running Windows 8.1.
I did not format the card before using and am copying .flac and mp3 file. I am not sure what settings you are referring to in MC?
Ok, that all sounds fine.
There are settings in MC to determine which file types need to be converted for Handheld devices (ie your SDCard).
Since you are using flac and mp3 there shouldn't be any conversions going on.

If you have a spare SDCard, I'd suggest formatting it on windows you could use the industry standard SDCard formatter from
http://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter
Then drag and drop a few mp3 and/or flac files to it from windows explorer then see if it works in your Pono as an easy way to test to see if your SDCard slot has died.

Campaigner8

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2020, 04:05:05 am »

I am running Windows 10. On Media Player 27, I have figured out how to import music from my Cd library on JRiver's media player to my Pono. One problem solved.
My question is as follows as I've read so many Pono posts regarding deleting any or all of my music from my Pono player, without success. I have a relatively new laptop
and want to start fresh with my high def, Flac and AIFF files on my Pono player. Can someone guide me through the steps of how to delete some or all old CD's off of my
Pono player? I am starting new with my Pono on JRiver's media player. I don't want to transfer albums on to the Pono until it is wiped clean.

Thanks for your help,
Campaigner8

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2020, 07:11:18 pm »

I am running Windows 10. On Media Player 27, I have figured out how to import music from my Cd library on JRiver's media player to my Pono. One problem solved.
My question is as follows as I've read so many Pono posts regarding deleting any or all of my music from my Pono player, without success. I have a relatively new laptop
and want to start fresh with my high def, Flac and AIFF files on my Pono player. Can someone guide me through the steps of how to delete some or all old CD's off of my
Pono player? I am starting new with my Pono on JRiver's media player. I don't want to transfer albums on to the Pono until it is wiped clean.

Thanks for your help,
Campaigner8
I would delete everything by:
Removing any SDCard.
Restart the Pono.
In Windows Explorer browse into the Pono internal memory and select all files/dirs.
Hit Shift-Delete to whack them all. MAKE SURE YOU ARE IN THE PONO INTERNAL MEMORY DRIVE!
Wait a long time, it's incredibly slow, especially on the internal memory. When done, don't simply unplug it, eject it from the windows system tray.
Format your SDCard with the utility I referenced in the message above.
Setup that memory card as a handheld device in MC. I rename it to ponoext (for external) with whatever (if any) conversions you use.
Never use the internal memory again.

I do this with a 400GB card, a USB3 SDCard adapter and it works great.

Note that when my card is mostly full it takes the Pono over an hour to catalog it when you start the Pono back up with the card in.

Campaigner8

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2020, 01:52:42 am »

Removing any SDCard.
Restart the Pono.
In Windows Explorer browse into the Pono internal memory and select all files/dirs.
Hit Shift-Delete to whack them all. MAKE SURE YOU ARE IN THE PONO INTERNAL MEMORY DRIVE!
Wait a long time, it's incredibly slow, especially on the internal memory. When done, don't simply unplug it, eject it from the windows system tray.
Setup that memory card as a handheld device in MC. I rename it to ponoext (for external) with whatever (if any) conversions you use.

Note that when my card is mostly full it takes the Pono over an hour to catalog it when you start the Pono back up with the card in.

Removing any SDCard.
Restart the Pono.

Hi Bob,

I understand nearly everything except for this step:

"In Windows Explorer browse into the Pono internal memory and select all files/dirs"

Do you mean Windows Explorer, as in the browser? Could you help me with a semi step by step on how to find and whack them?

Also, you say "MAKE SURE YOU ARE IN THE PONO INTERNAL MEMORY DRIVE!". How do I ensure that? I know the memory card is removed, so the only choice. That makes sense.

I am still using the original memory card that came with the Pono I secured through the Kickstarter campaign. I have over 1800 Cd's
that I want to play on my home audio equipment (balanced). Time for a new memory card I assume? Even if I transfer about 800 of those Cd's on to my Pono, what size memory card should I purchase? Will my original memory card still work temporarily until I get a new memory card?

Lastly, once fixed, is drag and drop of music files on to my Pono acceptable?

Thanks Again,

Campaigner8

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2020, 03:12:13 am »

Bob meant Windows Explorer, not Internet Explorer, which is the Browser. Windows Explorer is the software you use to look at directories/folders and files in Windows.

With the Pono connected to your new laptop via a USB cable, the internal storage and SD Card on your Pono will look a bit like the storage in my Android phone, where "Disk" is the SD Card, and "Internal Shared Storage" is the memory hardware installed in the Pono, which in your case is called the "Pono Internal Memory Drive" by the sound of it. See the first attached image for what my Android device looks like.

So with the SD Card removed, select the "Pono Internal Memory Drive", select all the data in it, and press Shift+Delete to delete all the files and folders.

If you want to know how much space your high def, Flac and AIFF files will take up, and hence whether they will fit on your existing or new SD Card, open the "Audio > Files" View in MC, as per the second attached image, then click on the "flac" file type, then Ctrl+Click on the AIFF file type. Then at the bottom of MC in the center you will see how many files are selected, how long it would take to play them all, and how much space they take up. If all your files take up less than 64GB, then they would all fit on your old SD Card. If you can get that working again by formatting it then you may not need a new SD Card. Of course, a new SD Card may be faster.

MC wouldn't have broken the two 64GB cards you have, so they should still work. But maybe the way you worked out to transfer the high def files to the cards was the problem. You can just copy files to the SD Card using Windows Explorer with Copy/Paste or Drag & Drop, or you can use the Handheld Sync functionality in MC. The latter is more complicated, but it would allow you to transfer Playlists to the Pono as well if it supports them.

How did you try to "import music from my Cd library on JRiver's media player to my Pono"? Describe the process you used.

Bob assumed that you had an SD Card Reader that you can use with your SD Cards and the laptop. That is by far faster than transferring using a USB connection to the Pono. Do you have an SD Card Reader?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Campaigner8

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2020, 05:38:50 pm »

Let me state my questions correctly:

Is this the type of cable I would need to connect my amplifier balanced outputs to my Pono player in balanced mode? (see picture)

When I am running the player in balanced mode, do I also need a balanced pair of headphones to listen to the Pono player?

If I leave my Pono in the unbalanced mode without an unbalanced interconnect, can I plug my Pono into the USB port on the front of my amplifier with the cord provided to use my Pono player on my home stereo?

Karrma

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2020, 12:22:51 am »

Those would be the cables to plug the PONO in to the amplifier in balanced mode.  Use the PONO as a DAC, and in settings, have a fixed sound output at maximum, and plug it into the preamp, and use the stereo to control the volume.  Also adjust the setting to balanced mode.
Pages: [1]   Go Up