INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cue file with DTS wav file - problematic cue behavior  (Read 1558 times)

Phil Collins

Cue file with DTS wav file - problematic cue behavior
« on: September 22, 2020, 12:28:11 pm »

I have a 2 year old iMac (Mojave 10.14.6) running MC26 (26.0.107). [WiFi to Oppo BDP-105D; HDMI to Denon AVR-X3500H; HDMI to old Sony TV.]

I don't understand the CUE problem I am encountering. (I think your Mac version is a relatively new venture, so perhaps it's simply a bug I am unaware of?)

I use JRiver Media Center 26 (on a Mac) to play surround music. I have a single, 6-channel wav file - one file that is the entire Bryan Ferry album Boys and Girls, plus the corresponding cue file. It's a 16-bit, 44.1 kHz file. Media Center displays it as such and as "2 channels" - which infers to me that it is actually a DTS-encoded wav file. I did verify that it is DTS by opening it in Audacity and, as expected for a DTS file, it displays as a "flat" single waveform (no varying peaks) and plays as pink noise on this wav editing software.

But my problem is: in Media Center 26, if I click any track from 2 thru 9, the audio that is heard is always the first song. Thus, only the first song plays "properly." Even stranger is, if I click "forward" within the colored moving progress bar at the top center, to say, 2:37 seconds into the track, the song begins again from the start. no matter where in the bar I click, it always starts the track over from the beginning. Otherwise, JRiver Media Center displays the track name & duration of the track I've clicked on to play (and not the first track which is what is heard).

More boring behavior details: If, for example, I double-click below the "All Files" area to play the one-minute-duration 4th song, the first song is heard, but the display shows song four is playing as above. After the one minute elapses, the displayed details at the top center of MC all move to show the next song, and the first song's audio starts again from the beginning.

I did re-import the entire album after triple checking that the wav file's filename exactly matched the filename displayed inside quotes in the CUE file. But the same behavior continues. Mystery. Then I thought, maybe MC doesn't like INDEX 00 lines in the CUE file, so I removed them, but no change after a reimport. All the above playback behavior is for the stereo headphone jack output from MC. (I still have not gotten my Oppo playing surround properly or consistently because I'm a complete virginal newbie. My server settings must be wonky.) Thanks for any suggestions in advance.
Pages: [1]   Go Up