INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Id vs. Media Server  (Read 1412 times)

MajorCyco

• Junior Woodchuck
Id vs. Media Server
« on: September 30, 2020, 09:05:06 am »

I am a Mac user.  When Catalina came out, I could no longer synch my iPhone to music collection.  Long story but it couldn't be fixed.  I began using iMazing to synch my music to my iPhone.  I then moved my music collection of about 30k files, to JRiver.  I have loved all that JRiver offers, but want to take more advantage of its capabilities.

Currently my music collection is on an external drive connected to my Mac.  My wife and I can access the music through JRemote across the WiFi when my Mac is turned on.  The two things I want to be able to do is to be able to access our collection when my Mac is offline and to be able to stream beyond the range of our WiFi.

I have been reading about the JRiver Id, and while it looks to solve my first goal, after reading the forum and Googling, it does not appear that it will meet the second.  I wanted to ask the community for their thoughts and recommendations.  Will an Id work for me or will I need to invest in a media server.  Thank you in advance.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Id vs. Media Server
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 04:12:16 pm »

In principle, there's no reason that I can think of that an Id or IdPi would not address your plan. What you describe is the sort of application that it was conceived for. I work in a Windows / Android world, so I can't vouch from personal experience.

Given that an IdPi is relatively cheap, you could try it out and see how it works.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Id vs. Media Server
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 06:16:14 pm »

I used to use an IdPi for my music server. Some notes here.
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,120622.msg833990.html#msg833990

It is best to use the pi with ethernet. I haven't tried my Pi4 as a server yet but I imagine it will be much better with its 4GB of ram. It runs stupid hot though. I would be hesitant to leave it running without active cooling. Mine is in an aluminum case on a block of aluminum in a tray of water. So it is water cooled.

I don't know what you mean by "be able to stream beyond the range of our WiFi" so I can't help with that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up