INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Changes to Tagging  (Read 942 times)

daveman

• Galactic Citizen
  • I am still a baby user of JRiver :)
Changes to Tagging
« on: October 09, 2020, 09:23:57 am »

At some point during the MC26, the  tagging feature was changed such that when you modify a tag, the cursor remains in the field as you progress to different entries.  One must then press the ESC key to get out of it.

This approach appears to be inconsistent with any other software I have ever used when editing fields or test.  This has resulted in numerous errors when working as I have ended up changing tags unexpectedly for items that i had no intention on modifying. 

Simply stated, I hate this "feature".  can we have a discussion about reverting back to the true and tried method to editing?

thanks

dave

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Changes to Tagging
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 12:34:27 pm »

Use the arrow keys to move to the next or previous tag.

daveman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2020, 12:46:50 pm »

that is not the issue.  The issue is that after making an issue, the cursor remains in the tag.  after making an edit, one should have to reselect the next tag for entry or if clicking OUTSIDE of the tag (e.g., to a different item) then the tag should be deselected.

Personally this is NOT intuitive

dave

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2020, 12:58:02 pm »

Don't hit enter.  Hit the down or up arrow key.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2020, 01:13:32 pm »

FWIW, I agree with daveman a bit here... It has often bothered me since the change was made as well.

I get why the change was made: so that you can quickly select different files one-at-a-time to edit the same tag over and over. The issue isn't that I don't understand how to use it. It is that it screws with my long-ingrained muscle memory because it doesn't match the behavior of any other application with similar editing functionality that I've used. It feels wrong, and so I screw it up constantly.

The other issue is that the problem the functionality is trying to solve is, for me, exceedingly rare. I really, really try to avoid having to individually hand-tag files like that one at a time. When I do, occasionally, the shortcut to save having to re-enable editing of the field when I select a different track in the listing is handy. But, it comes at the cost of everyday confusion when I don't want that behavior, and that's way more frequent than the former case.

So, I wonder if there isn't a better solution. Maybe you can click/do something when opening a tag-field in the AW to "enable" this mode, instead of it being the default? Shift-click to edit and leave open, or something like that?

In any case: it hasn't bothered me enough to really complain about it, up till now, but I agree.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2020, 01:36:20 pm »

Is it editing a new file keeping editing going that you guys are talking about?

Would you be happy with this change:
Changed: Holding shift while starting a tag window edit will keep the edit from starting again on a new file.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2020, 07:01:54 pm »

I can't figure out now, playing with it, what has confused me in the past.

But I know it has.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

DJLegba

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2020, 07:55:23 pm »

I can't figure out now, playing with it, what has confused me in the past.

But I know it has.

Me too. Tagging moving to the field that it wants to after I hit enter has been really irritating, but I haven't taken the time to document the steps that prevent the irritation. All I can say is it was better - and easier to understand - before some V26 update.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2020, 08:19:44 am »

Me too. Tagging moving to the field that it wants to after I hit enter has been really irritating, but I haven't taken the time to document the steps that prevent the irritation. All I can say is it was better - and easier to understand - before some V26 update.

+1. I find myself almost yelling at the screen on certain tags when I try to "tab" out of them (with a value present). It is very annoying that it is not repeatable either. Some days I can cruise thru my standard tags quickly and efficiently and other days - it's a disaster.

Also find some tags - AFTER being selected - when I hit Tab (to presumably move to the next field) - MC decides that it would be better (instead of moving to the next field) - that the tag editor should move the cursor to the end of the tag field currently highlighted - effectively resulting in a double Tab to actually move the cursor. (over here I have a field called Media Source that does this and so does Genre).

NOTE: this report is on v26 as I have not moved to v27 as of yet.

This was much better in v25 era.

VP

daveman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2020, 07:17:37 am »

Matt,

>Would you be happy with this change:
>Changed: Holding shift while starting a tag window edit will keep the edit from starting again on a new file.

How about the reverse, holding shift Will KEEP the editing ON for additional files.  That way, people are used to the old method and will be able to edit multiple files when pressing on Shift,   I would endorse that!!

Thanks

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up