INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two-account use on a same system  (Read 1723 times)

vdidenko

• Recent member
Two-account use on a same system
« on: October 04, 2020, 02:05:55 pm »

Now that we work from home I run two accounts (home and work) the Ubintu-based Pop!_OS 20.04 (soon to be 20.10). JRiver is installed on the home account and runs fine in that session. However, the sound cuts off when switching to the work account session (Ctrl-Alt-F? session switcher).

That seems to be a characteristic of the Linux sound system. There are multiple workarounds on the net, which did not work for me.

I have the music in a directory shared between the accounts: /home/music. It is read-writeable for the music group. Both home and work accounts are members of the music group. I can switch the primary group in the JRiver application launcher so that the group ownership of the files is maintained. I can also lock the launcher to a single instance, so that two JRiver instances do not point to the same library running simultaneously by accident.

Few questions:

1. Do JRiver license conditions allow me to install the license in two accounts on the same computer? The license file seems to be tied to a Linux account and JRiver asks for a registration when started on my work account. I did not understand (or missed) how the current license text applies to my setup.

2. May I still run yet another copy on my laptop when out and about?

3. Is there anything else I missed in the setup - is it known to work by any chance?

Regards - and thank you!

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Two-account use on a same system
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 03:03:08 pm »

1. Yes.  Just install the same license file on both installs.

2. Yes. JRiver is very reasonable about the licensing in that regard so don't worry about that.

3. I'll let others who are everyday users of MC on Linux comment.

vdidenko

• Recent member
Re: Two-account use on a same system
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 11:26:30 am »

The shared directory worked, but was too clunky of a setup.

Instead, I ended up sudoing from work to personal account and running mediacenter27 as the personal user.

As a superuser, added the work account to groups audio and pulse_audio. Also added the sudo permission to audio group:

Code: [Select]
%audio ALL=(vlad:vlad) NOPASSWD: SETENV: /usr/bin/mediacenter27
In the work account added the below start script as ~/bin/mc, taking care of Xwindow permissions and environment and then made it executable:

#!/bin/bash
xhost +si:localuser:vlad &>/dev/null
sudo -HEu vlad -g vlad XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/home/vlad /usr/bin/mediacenter27

Finally made the desktop shortcut to run the media center as /home/work/.local/share/applications/mc.desktop:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=MediaCenter
Comment=JRiver MediaCenter
Exec=/home/work/bin/mc &>/dev/null
Icon=audio-headphones-symbolic
Type=Application
Categories=Media;Music;Remote
StartupNotify=true
Keywords=media;music;jriver
Terminal=false

Naturally, change the vlad entries to your personal user's name, group, and directories where appropriate. Similarly for the work entries.
Pages: [1]   Go Up