INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Handheld - Doesn't Resync if Destination Filename Should Change  (Read 461 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Handheld - Doesn't Resync if Destination Filename Should Change
« on: October 18, 2020, 03:57:12 pm »

Can we get an option for Handheld Syncs that forces MC to re-sync the file if the destination filename should change?

The existing behavior is that Handheld syncs do not re-sync/rename files if the destination file exists, but the filename (on the destination device) itself doesn't match what it should based on the file naming rules in the Handheld's settings. Enabling the Resync if Date Modified option doesn't always help because in some cases, the "cause" of the file name discrepancy is not due to the file itself having changed. For example:
  • If there was previously duplicate tracks in the sync (so one of them gets a (1) suffix at the destination), and you delete the offending duplicate (but happen to pick the one that doesn't currently have that suffix) and re-sync, the file will not be re-synced and remove the (1) suffix.
  • If you change the file naming rules in the Handheld Sync settings, and re-sync, any files already synced won't update (but it is very difficult to search and find these after the fact in many cases).
I have a couple different Handhelds set up in MC where this behavior is extremely undesirable. In one case, it is because the device I'm syncing to only allows browsing by file path. In another case it is because I'm using MCiS to sync to iTunes (and so the iTunesFileKey calculated field has to match the destination location or the file doesn't sync properly). It is very hard to fix these issues currently (aside from blowing away the entire sync destination location and re-syncing from scratch). I've literally spent hours this afternoon trying to find and fix these kinds of issues, and it is very frustrating that I can't just check a box and make MC do it automatically.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Handheld - Doesn't Resync if Destination Filename Should Change
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 01:14:52 pm »

Bump.

Also, I've found that the Handheld Sync Audio Filename rule DOES NOT follow the same "system" as RMCF, and seems to have some special handling built in. For example: If I use the [Name] field in my Audio Filename rule, and the [Name] contains any periods, it truncates the output filename at the first "dot" it encounters. RMCF doesn't. I found a few other oddball behaviors like this.

I was able to beat this into submission by manually replacing periods with underscores, but I'd love to know what special "invisible" rules it has implemented. I assume this is because the filesystems used by some handhelds (or perhaps just FAT) has special rules for filename validity. I'm syncing all of mine to just plain NTFS folders, though, so none of that fancy stuff is needed.

If it would be possible to have a checkbox to turn that stuff off and make it work just like RMCF, that would be fantastic. However, I'd be okay with a listing of things to watch out for. I've had to, up till now, figure it out trial and error style.

Which would be fine if it didn't take almost an hour for my handheld to sync, including 10-20 min of MC being totally hard-locked and frozen.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up