INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Want to edit "Season" and "Episode" numbers in the "To Be Recorded" window  (Read 1131 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe

I have a subscription set up to record the TV show "NOVA". I'm using an OTA tuner. The OTA program guide always gets the Episode number wrong. Then JRiver program scrapes the wrong episode data and cover art.

Can you give us the ability to edit the Season and Episode numbers that are in the "To Be Recorded" window - so I can enter the correct episode number before the program is recorded? Once the show is recorded and the program info scraping is done, it's a lot more work to correct it. It would be nice if I could fix this proactively.

In example, I have the NOVA program "Colosseum - Roman Death Trap" set to record. It shows as "Season 2015" and "Episode 4206". It is actually "Season 42, Episode 04" per TVdb and IMDb.  So I already know the description and episode art will be wrong as soon as the recording is finished.

Thanks

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!

To Be Recorded view shows TV guide entries that are to be recorded.  Since guide entries are updated automatically daily, and most fields are overwritten during the update, it is difficult to manage even if we provide you with the ability. 

Having said that, you can edit the fields of a guide program in a smartlist.  You just need to do the editing on the day of recording, after EPG updates are done.

The rule for TV guide entries is

Code: [Select]
"Media Type" is "TV"

with modification

"Limit database to" "Television guide"

Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

G'Day CB.

Are the Season and Episode always wrong in the same way? i.e. Does the Season always get the year, and the Episode the [Season][Episode]?

If so, you may be able to fix that automatically using the Recording Rule tagging functionality. Set two tags, in this sequence, for the rule:

Season: left([Episode], 2)
Episode: right([Episode], 2)

I'm not positive that will work, but as the fields are already populated from the EPG, it should.

If the Season and Episode aren't always as per your example, provide a few examples of the relevant EPG data that causes the issue. Important fields are:

Series, Season, Episode, Name, Description, Year, Date Recorded.

MC must be getting that data from somewhere, so we would need to work out where it is coming from in order to propose a solution.

The other issue in this situation is that for TV recordings, MC doesn't actually run the "Get Movie & TV Info" function, as that would likely overwrite the possibly more accurate data from the EPG. So in order to get MC to do that lookup, you would need to be running that function manually anyway. Maybe what you are seeing is actually just the incorrect data (Name, Description in addition to Season and Episode) from the EPG, which requires a manual fix anyway. Although it would be easier. You should probably check if the Name and Description are correct, and it is just the Season and Episode that are wrong. Then the real issue is just sorting and identification in MC, which can be fixed just using the tagging rules above.

It would be nice if there was an option, probably in the Recording Rule itself, to tell MC to run the "Get Movie & TV Info" function for a particular program, probably based on rules (expressions) such as whether the required fields are available, and with checkboxes for the fields to be updated, whether to do so if not empty, such as the [Name], [Description], [Image File]. That would have to run as the last step in finalising a recording, so that all tagging rules, file moves, etc. are complete before it is done. Maybe file moves could happen last, as they are a complex thing, but other tags would certainly need to be corrected before the "Get Movie & TV Info" function is run.

There is also another issue. MC is using TheMovieDB now for TV Shows, and I am finding it less reliable than TheTVDB. Even when I check the website to confirm data is available, then do a lookup using MC with the correct Series, Title, Season and Episode, MC still doesn't always complete the lookup, even when it gets to the stage where it says it is downloading the information. It then fails and says no information is available. So, that could change what you want to do.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!

He emphasized that the episode number should be 04, not 06.  So it is wrong not just because it does not separate season and episode, also because it got the episode number wrong.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

Oops. I overlooked that.

But still the same concept. If the Episode number is always two less than the last two digits, an expression can be written to fix it. The main point is whether there is a consistent pattern to the errors.

Of course, the TV broadcaster could be contacted to fix it, if the numbers are just wrong.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

CountryBumkin

Re: Want to edit "Season" and "Episode" numbers in the "To Be Recorded" window
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2020, 06:24:42 am »

Thanks for taking the time to think about my issue and respond.

It sounds like there is nothing much I can do "proactively" to correct a recording before the recoding is made.
I get my OTA data from Schedules Direct (a US subscription service). I doubt anyone is going to fix anything on that end.
Also, I'm not sure if the episode is always "two episodes off" - I never paid attention to that. I just fix the issue when I notice it is wrong (which I usually discover as I'm watching the show). But I'll be looking for that pattern now.

I thought about turning off the "get Movie and TV data" upon import but that would effect all the other subscriptions that work correctly. I wanting this to be as automatic as possible (which it is for all the other shows I record).

So I'll just keep fixing the NOVA program data manually.
Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up