INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help File - Audio Analysis (gain, BMP, etc)  (Read 1825 times)

lise

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Help File - Audio Analysis (gain, BMP, etc)
« on: April 14, 2003, 02:44:37 pm »

Answers to the following will give me an idea of how to write this section of the help file.  Sorry if the title makes it look like I will be giving info on this topic--but I will soon  ;)

To make things simpler for me, I sure would appreciate it if you indicated which number you were replying to.  Thanks to all. --Lise

1.  When do you analyze your files (ie do you do the entire database with 'skip over analyzed files', do you send files to the playlist and analyze them there, do you analyze just as you are burning a cd? or some other way)?

2. What do you select under Adjutment in DSP Studio: Automatic based on current playlist, or fixed.  Why?

3.  BMP and Intensity.  What exactly do these do? You can you a View Scheme based on them, but do you do it?  Why?  Is it mostly for DJ's?  
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

rocketsauce

Re: Help File - Audio Analysis (gain, BMP, etc)
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2003, 06:55:09 pm »

1) I always analyze immediatley after importing new files in to the library.

2) I use fixed, set at +3. I've noticed that when I set it a +6 or Based On Current Playlist there is some clipping or distortion on some tracks.

3) Haven't based a view scheme on BPM because sometimes it's not accurate for a particular track. Not sure what is meant by Intensity, so haven't done anything with it.

Rob

Phydeaux

• World Citizen
  • No comment... ;)
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2003, 11:42:24 pm »

1) I analyse my files mainly during ripping, otherwise when I remember. When I first started off, analysing my 3,000+ tracks, I created a smartlist to limit the number of tracks being analysed to 100 (ie: playlist="Task -- Not yet analysed" ~t=100). Then I did them whenever I could.

2) Fixed. I use it in a restaruant /bar environment and using the "based on playlist" setting can sometimes jump the volume when you change playlist -- and usually the wrong way. Ie: if it's time for some rowdy music, MC will generally play the rowdy playlist a little softer than the "chilled" playlist. So I use a fixed value of about 6dB.

3) As far as I'm aware: BPM is obviously beats per minute (or an approximation thereof) and intensity is a measure of the "loudness" of the music. ie: a rock metal band will be more intense than a Mozart string quartet. I make smartlists in conjunction with genre. Ie: for a chilled atmosphere, my smartlist says "genere=house bpm=<120 intensity=1,2" and for a lively party, my smartlist says "genre=pop,rock bpm=>100 intensity=4,5".

Also, my mother is an aerobics instructor and it's very useful being able to use view schemes to group similarly tempo'd music. ie: for benches you need music between 60 and 70 (actually, I have no idea what music you need, but it's an example anyway!). So I've set up a view scheme which allows her to see what music fits into each category and then make her tapes / burn CD's from there.
"Evil will always triumph over Good because Good is dumb." -- Spaceballs

Harry_The_Hipster

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2003, 02:04:32 am »

1.) On ripping. Otherwise, I make up a playlist, analyze in batches of 200-400. Carryover from when MC was choking on large queues.

2.) Automatic.

3.) Don't use them at all. Not how I categorize files.

HTH

MarkCoutinho

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2003, 03:39:29 am »

1) immediatly after importing
2) fixed
3) I'll use the BPM for mixing-purposes (running queries and use the real c.d.'s for mixing then). Intensity I don't trust. And viewschemes? I'd like to know what I can do with them in this case
Mark Coutinho
Dutch Top 40 collector of lyrics, sleeves and bios

peterH

• Recent member
  • All you need is love
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2003, 08:34:48 am »

1. When it occurs to me usually overnight
2. Usually automatic.
3. Am playing with it to see if I can do "mood" lists
Peter

lee269

• sleep eat sleep eat sleep eat
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2003, 12:00:09 pm »

3. Ive asked this before, but still not sure.

If intensity is what most people (including me) think it is, you could imagine a smartlist consisting of a graph for a party composed of intensity and BPM, a skewed bell curve slowly rising to a peak as people hit the dance floor, and dropping quickly at the end of the evening for the smoochy last dances/late night chill out tunes. Im no DJ, but I could see the fun in this. Something for v10 surely :)

However, even given that intensity and BPM would be an inexact science I cant figure out the relationship between these two and replay gain. Id love to understand it.

zevele10

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2003, 03:10:49 pm »

1-i use ' needs audio analyse' in Auto Smartlist. Who tells me the tracks i have to do.
I have at anytime more than 1000 songs to analyse ,so othernight is the solution

2-fixed- because i do not use playlists. And most of the time i play full albums so i do not use DSP studio

3- i do not care about it ,and do not have it set in any of my left screen.

OT ,but a tip ,i found that using  Equaliser set to Classical makes poor mp3 - like Emusic Xing 128- sound better , at the trebles level first of all
Pages: [1]   Go Up