INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pono Player - MC 27 Connecting Pono to Home Stereo - Can I do it as described?  (Read 2104 times)

Campaigner8

• Recent member

Regarding my Pono player;

My home stereo is balanced mode compatible. I have hooked up my amplifier, and CD player using Transparent Music Wave Plus RCA interconnects terminated with banana plugs. I will invest in balanced interconnect cables in the future

The following are my questions and concerns because I don't want to destroy my Pono player irreparably;

My Pono player via default settings is not in balanced mode. I want to plug my Pono player into the USB port on my amplifier and enjoy high definition music. I read somewhere on the Media Center Forum that one must be careful using the Pono player on a balanced capable amplifier and CD player; as there could be some compatibility issues.
The amplifier and CD player are attached via unbalanced interconnects.

With my amplifier and CD player connected as described above, should I not go ahead and connect the Pono Player to the USB  port on my amplifier - using the USB connector cord provided by Pono? - see attachments below.

Attachments - 1. Arcam CD S27 CD Player - front view
                     2. Arcam CD S27 CD Player - rear view
                     3. Rotel RA-1572 Amplifier - rear view
                     4. Rotel RA-1572 Amplifier - front view with USB port
                     5. Transparent MusicWave Plus interconnects - terminated with RCA banana plugs
                     6. Transparent MusicWave Plus speaker cable bi-wired - terminated with RCA banana plugs

Karrma

• Recent member

While I am not very computer literate, I have had a PONO player since the Kick-starter campaign.  The PONO is a DAC, and the audio output is analog.  The USB connection is only to connect to a computer for downloading music files to the microSD cards, or to charge the battery. 
I have only used balanced mode for one of my headphones, and you go to settings, and click on balanced mode, and use them, plugging into both the headphone and regular output audio ports.  I do not have balanced mode for our stereo.  I use an analog cable to connect the PONO player to the stereo, and can get HD output of my HD music files which sound very good without the balanced mode.  I suspect you would have to have some specially made analog cables to plug balanced mode from the analog ports of the PONO to the balanced mode of your stereo amplifier. 
A mono cable plug will also damage the PONO player, make sure the cable plug has two black rings.
Pages: [1]   Go Up