INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with folders with " or *  (Read 542 times)

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
Problem with folders with " or *
« on: November 05, 2020, 01:29:47 am »

There is one issue that happens since I am using MC.
An example:
I have  a file, named Mahler_Symphony6_Abbado_CSO1977_1.
That's in the folder Mahler_Symphony6_Abbado_CSO1977 and that's in a folder called Symphony No. 6 "Tragic".
I rename the file in MC to Mahler_Symphony6_Abbado_CSO1977_1 Allegro energico, ma non troppo.
I use F6 to rename the file in the folder. But the file afterwards doesn't remain in its original folder but MC creates a new one on the disc called Symphony No. 6 _Tragic_
That's MC specific, too, and happens with no there program on my Mac.

Frank

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Problem with folders with " or *
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 01:43:22 am »

Untick the "Directories" and "Find & Replace" boxes and just use the "Filename" box, if you haven't done that already See if that fixes the issue.

Also, the RM&CF function shows you what it is going to do, so check that before you click OK.

But the Double Quote is an illegal character for filenames in Windows, so it sounds like MC may be applying the same rule for Macs, and replacing " with _. I don't know if MC always did that, or if that has changed since MC added more portability between OSX and Windows.

https://www.mtu.edu/umc/services/digital/writing/characters-avoid/
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 04:06:36 pm »

As I already wrote in another post: there are too many things where MC for the Mac version after all these years still is mainly a Windows program and not fully transferred to the Mac. These includes special characters, the behaviour of snap areas or keyboard buttons, the short cuts, the change of sample rates and many other things.
BUT, and a big but: it's a great program and the best of it's kind that one can have even on a Mac - and if it one day will become and feel as a real Mac program I would be even more happy....

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2020, 04:13:58 pm »

I am using the function quite often. The boxes you mentioned are unticked and as you already wrote it's probably a Windows behaviour.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 07:38:45 pm »

All true, but as per the recommendations on the web page I linked to, JRiver is probably taking the conservative approach when it comes to file naming, so that all files can be used on all platforms.

I doubt that would change, just so that cross-platform compatibility is maximised.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2020, 12:55:58 am »

Ok, that speaks for itself. How does iTunes work on a Windows system - like a Mac program with Mac rules?
Pages: [1]   Go Up