INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving library to Id and repointing NAS files?  (Read 1307 times)

wig

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Moving library to Id and repointing NAS files?
« on: November 07, 2020, 08:12:50 am »

Hi all,

I have a newly purchased NUC Id. I want to move my Windows JRiver library over there, and re-point all of the media files on my Diskstation NAS so they're accessible.

What's the best way to go about this?

Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Moving library to Id and repointing NAS files?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2020, 12:24:49 pm »

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2020, 03:10:51 pm »

Thanks, Jim. I was able to get my Diskstation mounted with no trouble. I was also able to restore a backup of my library to the Main Library on the Id.

It's the next step that's causing me problems. I'm using the Update Database feature in Rename, Move & Copy Files to change the file location path to the Id mount address. I'm trying to use Find & Replace to update the Filename path, but I'm not able to make it work.

I have filenames like this:

\\DISKSTATION\VOl2\Audio\Cabin\Van Halen\1984\08 - Van Halen - 1984 - Girl Gone Bad.flac

and I want to update them to this

\mnt\music\Audio\Cabin\Van Halen\1984\08 - Van Halen - 1984 - Girl Gone Bad.flac

The trouble I'm having is that when I open up Rename. Move & Copy Files, the filename appears with slashes reversed like this

//DISKSTATION/VOl2/Audio/Cabin/Van Halen/1984/08 - Van Halen - 1984 - Girl Gone Bad.flac

Any suggestions?

My issue is that I have a 15 year old library I'd like to migrate to the Id, and I'm not sure the best way to do it. Two strategies that occur to me.

• Restore a backup of the library to the Main Library on the Id, and then use the
  • Use the Library Sync feature to bring in the library info?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2020, 06:19:27 pm »

Experiment carefully with just a few files.

MC converts slashes automatically when you move from Windows to Linux.

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 11:39:25 am »

Hey Jim,

I keep experimenting but nothing works so far.

I can import and play files from my mounted Diskstation on the Id just fine. The path looks like this

\mnt\music\Audio\Cabin\Van Halen\1984\08 - Van Halen - 1984 - Girl Gone Bad.flac

However, I can't use the Update Database option on the Id to create a similar path for the files already in my library. It won't accept the backslash in the base path, only forward slash.

So I can make this

/mnt/music/Audio/Cabin/Van Halen/1984/08 - Van Halen - 1984 - Girl Gone Bad.flac

but first I get an error message that says "One or more files is going to a name that already exists on the system. It will automatically be renamed. Is this Ok?".

Then when I try to play the file, I get this message:

Something went wrong with playback.

Details: The file could not be opened for read access (error 0). Check permissions, ownership, and that the file is not in use by another program.

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2020, 12:03:36 pm »

Bumping this.

I can't update the filename path after I import my Windows library to the Id. I keep ending up with backslashes instead of forward slashes.

Has anyone successfully moved a library from Windows to Linux?

Pages: [1]   Go Up