INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: automatic Library backup  (Read 2949 times)

Ferro

automatic Library backup
« on: November 10, 2020, 03:10:14 pm »

my jriver doesn't make an automatic library backup anymore.
Manual is no problem
Any idea is welcome

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: automatic Library backup
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 05:00:47 pm »

I'm sure it does.

Automatic Library Backups are saved to the location set in "Options > File Location > Program Files > Library Backups". Check that is set correctly and is still valid.

Manual Backups will be saved in the location you select, and MC will remember where you stored Manual Library backups so that next time you do one it points to the same location. MC also uses that location when you try to run a Library Restore.

So, automatic Library Backups could be saved in one location, and a Library Restore could show you backups in another location, making it look like there are no automatic Library Backups. But they will be there, in the location as per Options.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

akhunaton

• World Citizen
  • I Love Music
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 12:43:27 pm »

I am having the same problem. I am using the latest version 27. I have not had an automatic backup since last June. The folder settings are correct. I have it set to another hard drive. Been that way for over a decade.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 01:19:01 pm »

One "gotcha" is if your MC instance is a client of another instance of MC (acting as a library server), the client will stop making automatic backups as long as it remains a client.  Some of my clients haven't made an automatic backup in six months or more (which isn't a huge deal except for local playback settings). 

Are any of the folks seeing this issue using MC as a library client?  If so, no auto backups is expected behavior. 

Otherwise, Roderick's advice is the way to go.

akhunaton

• World Citizen
  • I Love Music
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 01:47:48 pm »

I am running a server with 27 which has the problem. My wife runs a server with 26 with no problem. I am going to create a new backup folder and see if that fixes it.

wer

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2021, 02:24:59 pm »

It would be helpful if you showed us a screenshot of the File Location panel in MC Options.

Make sure the location specified is not read-only, that the account MC is running under has permission to write there.

If you manually activate the backup system, by selecting File->Library->Backup Library   or File->Library->Restore Library from the MC menu, it will display a dialog box showing you exactly where the file will be written/read.  The dialogs can remember different locations, as Rod said. Create a library backup, and then if it is successful, check the location to ensure the file is there. That will demonstrate backup creation can work properly.

Mwillems admonished you about working in a client server mode with MC.  You say "server" in your post. If you actually are running an MC server with a separate client, then the instructions I gave you above must be run using the copy of MC actually on the server, not a client on a separate PC.

MusicBringer

• Galactic Citizen
  • MC32.0.87 x64bit
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2021, 11:57:59 am »

"Automatic Library Backups are saved to the location set in Options."

How often does MC do this❓
How can I specify how often Automatic Library Backups are saved.
thanks,
Caesar adsum jam forte. Brutus aderat. Caesar sic in omnibus. Brutus sic inat.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2021, 03:23:22 pm »

How often does MC do this❓

As often as it needs to. It does what it does. Check the zip file dates and times in the target location to see how often it has run on your system.

How can I specify how often Automatic Library Backups are saved.

Set up a task using the MC Scheduler to run the MCC Command "MC27.exe /MCC 20011,1" at a time and frequency you want. That is what I have done on one of my systems.

Of course, MC must be running for an automatic or scheduled backup to run. If you want backups to run even if MC isn't running, set up a Scheduled Task in Windows, to run the same command as above. You may wish to have the task start MC, run the backup, then close MC in that case.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

MusicBringer

• Galactic Citizen
  • MC32.0.87 x64bit
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2021, 04:55:16 am »

Thanks for this.
Had enormous trouble finding MC Scheduler, but eventually found it.
Media Scheduler is now only accessible through Media Center.
To launch it, you must go to Tree > Services & Plug-ins > Scheduler.
Now I cannot get it to work.
Tested with my normal manual Backup to verify folder location - works fine.
Also Library Backup task just sits there looking at me, doing nothing.
What settings do I specify and where,
thanks,

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2021, 03:48:54 pm »

It could be because you are running "Media Center 27.exe" instead of "MC27.exe".
It could be because you are running a Once Off instance of the task, instead of a recurring task. I assume the time you have set is in the future, so the Once Off should work, but I haven't tried that.

I've not tried running the "Library Backup" task rather than using a "Command Line" task to achieve the same result.

Either task should show a countdown to the time it will run under the Status column in the Scheduler, as per my image. Does yours show a countdown?

Okay, I just ran a Once Off Library Backup task, and it worked fine, reporting "Finished" in the Status column once it was done. Once I set up and saved the task I could watch the countdown to execution. I checked and the backup file was there.

So I guess what is happening on the Scheduler pane for the task will be a hint as to what is happening, or not, for you.

MusicBringer

• Galactic Citizen
  • MC32.0.87 x64bit
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2021, 05:58:21 pm »

All sorted now.
It was the Argument had : MC27.exe /MCC 20011,1 rather than :  /MCC 20011,1.
Thank you very much for your help.
 :)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2021, 04:41:31 am »

So it did. I overlooked that.

akhunaton

• World Citizen
  • I Love Music
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2021, 12:53:46 pm »

Setting up the scheduler worked for me to get the backups rolling again however the normal backup still does not work. using MC 27.0.43.

Like I said before the normal auto backups stopped working back in June 2020. At least I have a workaround for now. thanks.

lmurawski

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2021, 03:25:21 pm »

I have noticed the same, automatic backups are no longer happening.  Currently running 27.0.43.

milsdrewbulch

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2022, 12:03:25 am »

Feature request:

I have 4 instances of MC running as clients. These all load a music library from a 5th PC on the network where the music files are stored.

In each of the 4 client instances there are vast arrays of Parametric EQ filters and other settings that occasionally get changed.

There is no automatic scheduled back-up done on "client" instances of MC to save those settings, so one has to do manual back-ups to archive them. This requires loading of the local "empty" library and a manual back-up, then re-loading of the library from the 5th PC. It is cumbersome.

Can MC please be updated so that the settings in the local libraries are backed-up on a regular basis even though those libraries aren't "loaded"?
Pages: [1]   Go Up