INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple instances of files imported into Library  (Read 1565 times)

marcerickson

• Recent member
Multiple instances of files imported into Library
« on: November 11, 2020, 07:44:12 pm »

When importing a folder into the Library, I get multiple instances of the same file.  The directory shown has 15 files - there appears to be 15 instances of each file in the Library.  When played, the first instance listed plays as the title listed.  The following instances appear to sequentially play the tracks in the album - but the title listed is as in the first instance of the track.

I had previously imported this folder into the Library with these 15 files plus a .flac single file of the album and a .cue sheet.  The 15 files were split from the .flac single file using fmedia.  When the import finished and I saw the multiple instances of the same file, I deleted the folder from the Library, moved the .flac single file and the .cue sheet to another folder, and tried reimporting.  The result was the same.

I'm running Ubuntu Server 20.04 with an xubuntu GUI.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Multiple instances of files imported into Library
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 09:52:38 pm »

I don't use or have samples of FLAC files that use CUE files, so I'm not coming from actual experience here, but...

The CUE file was applied to all FLAC files in the directory, setting up multiple playback ranges for each real file. After moving the original (large) FLAC and CUE files, you have 15 files, each with 15 playback ranges defined, and so MC thinks it has 225 tracks. You will probably find that playback doesn't work on most, or any, of those Library records. Or doesn't work correctly, playing the correct tracks.

In MC terms, I think you have created Particles for each track, in each file, even though they wouldn't work properly. See https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Particles
Also see https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Cue_Files
Also read the links to threads in the forum, and search the forum.

Check the [Playback Range] field in MC for all those files. If the field contains data, deleted it, then run "Update tags (from library)", then close MC. If there are any "pfile" or other unnecessary files in the directory (I don't know if there will be), delete those now as well. Then restart MC.

If that doesn't fix the issue, delete the files from the MC Library and reimport them again. Post again if that still doesn't fix the issue, as you need to do some more cleanup of the "Removed Database". Or search the forum from discussion on that topic.

Also check the [Playback Info] field for anything unusual.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

marcerickson

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 12:01:27 am »

"You will probably find that playback doesn't work on most, or any, of those Library records. Or doesn't work correctly, playing the correct tracks."

Yes.  That's what happened.

I'll try your solutions in a day or two.  I'm relaxing now.   ;)

Thank you.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2020, 12:34:04 am »

Relaxing is a good idea.  8)

Just for my own education, I ripped a CD to a single FLAC file plus a CUE file using MC. That worked fine and all tracks showed up in MC and played correctly. Each file had just one [Playback Range] value. The CUE file created is shown below.

I then used the MC "Convert Format" function on all those tracks, converting from FLAC to FLAC, which splits the large FLAC into individual FLAC files for each track. I saved the files created to the same directory as the large FLAC file and the CUE file. That all worked correctly, resulting in two copies of each track in MC. One from the CUE plus large FLAC file, and one from the individual files. The individual FLAC files had no [Playback Range] values.

So maybe use MC to do the splitting in future, and do it after importing the large FLAC and CUE file into MC. You can then remove the Tracks associated with the large FLAC and CUE files from MC, if you wished.

It does seem that MC has applied the CUE file to all FLAC files in the directory, but that could have been because of the data in the CUE file. Hard to say without looking at it. Basically, when using a large FLAC file and a CUE file, they should be placed into their own directory by themselves for importing into MC. Other software requires the same thing. If you already have individual FLAC files for each track, only import those, and not the large FLAC and CUE files.

TITLE "Night And Day"
PERFORMER "Marc Hunter"
FILE "Marc Hunter - Night And Day.flac" WAVE
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "Walk On By"
    PERFORMER "Marc Hunter"
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    TITLE "Moonlight In Vermont"
    PERFORMER "Marc Hunter"
    INDEX 01 04:13:17
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    TITLE "Slow Hot Wind"
    PERFORMER "Marc Hunter"
    INDEX 01 08:44:15
  TRACK 04 AUDIO
    TITLE "Laura"
    PERFORMER "Marc Hunter"
    INDEX 01 12:35:17
  TRACK 05 AUDIO
    TITLE "Night And Day"
    PERFORMER "Marc Hunter"
    INDEX 01 17:06:50
  TRACK 06 AUDIO
    TITLE "Cry Me A River"
    PERFORMER "Marc Hunter"
    INDEX 01 20:47:35
  TRACK 07 AUDIO
    TITLE "Meditation"
    PERFORMER "Marc Hunter"
    INDEX 01 25:58:10
  TRACK 08 AUDIO
    TITLE "You Only Live Twice"
    PERFORMER "Marc Hunter"
    INDEX 01 29:14:32
  TRACK 09 AUDIO
    TITLE "You Don't Know Me"
    PERFORMER "Marc Hunter"
    INDEX 01 33:24:07
  TRACK 10 AUDIO
    TITLE "Our Love Is Here To Stay"
    PERFORMER "Marc Hunter"
    INDEX 01 37:00:12
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up