INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library help, ripped CDs now not reading metadata  (Read 745 times)

Karrma

• Recent member
Library help, ripped CDs now not reading metadata
« on: November 12, 2020, 01:56:00 am »

I am still on Jriver26, although purchased the option for 27. 

I recently ran out of room on my 2 TB hard drive E: where I have my music, which was my oldest hard drive, so rotated a newer 4 TB hard drive F: from backup to my regular hard drive and purchased a new drive for backups. 

I was not able to make a new library for this, even after reading the directions, (I need a JRiver for Dummies), I cleared my old library, and then imported the F:music file into the library. 

Some of the files did not get added properly, like it was not reading all the metadata, so while most of the files were fine, a few albums had some unassigned and some were correct, such as track 2 and 3 of Joni Mitchell's Don Juan's Reckless Daughter, show up correctly with the metadata, and all the other tracks are unassigned, even when they are listed on the data files, and put in an unassigned album.

Today I ripped several new CDs, on another machine, as JRiver also does not recognize a file path for the CD to be ripped on this machine (a Dell Latitude 5530 running Windows 10) ever since I upgraded to 26 from 25.

These files, on my external hard drive, all went to the unassigned album, even though I did the same process that worked in the past, only difference was an updated Jriver26, and I did fill in the data prior to ripping the CDs.  So problems ripping to JRiver started on this computer earlier, and now no metadata. 

Also, a new playlist I made, had some songs get cut off early.  Is this something with the Library path, that I can fix? Or are the computer drivers getting old and dysfunctional?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Library help, ripped CDs now not reading metadata
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 07:34:57 am »

Normally, you would use backup and restore for this.  Please see Moving Files on the wiki.

Check the settings for File Location for ripping.

Start a new thread on the playback being cut off.  Describe your setup, including what you're playing to.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 06:09:09 pm »

Read https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,127546.msg884777.html#msg884777

It sounds like the Controlled Folders issue has existed on your Dell Latitude 5530 since you upgraded to MC26. Possibly Defender started blocking things at that time, and needed to be tamed. Fix this before fixing your Library, metadata, unassigned Albums, etc.

As Jim implied, you shouldn't have re-imported your Library from the F: drive. You should have just updated the Library to point all records to the F: drive, changing it from the E: drive. You use the "Find & Replace" functionality in the "Rename, Move, & Copy Files" function to do that, quickly and easily.

Find a very recent backup, preferably from just before you switched drive.
Turn off Auto Import in MC, or check that it is off if you normally leave it off.
Restore the recent Library.
Run the RM&CF function to change the E: drive to the F: drive in the Library.
Turn Auto Import back on, if that is what you normally do.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Karrma

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 09:56:33 am »

Thank you, I did need to Tame Window Defender first, not sure if it will be all of my problem, but all the slowdown went away with doing https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=114101.0  to Tame Window Defender.  I did find some of my backups where I do back up much of my files, but I can find no backups anywhere for JRiver 26 until the one I did myself, but after the fact.  I tried a couple of times to reinstall a backup from two different backups, but did not change the library back to looking for E: Did that last night, will work on it a bit more tonight. 

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2020, 03:09:18 pm »

Unless they were in a location that you have deleted, the backups should be there.

Search the whole computer for "MC Library Backup *.zip".
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Karrma

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2020, 10:13:19 pm »

I have a Seagate 5 TB drive that I back up my files and music on.  Somehow all the backup library files for JRiver were on there, rather than the C: drive where JRiver is supposed to place the file, per the JRiver app.  So I found a backup from when my files were on the E: drive.  When I take it off auto import in Tools, Options, then restore backup from File , it still says my files are on C: and F: does not bring up the E: files in the left column where the top name is Playing Now.  Did the library backup load properly?

Where is the find and replace and the Rename, Move and Copy Files located?   

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2020, 10:50:41 pm »

it still says my files are on C: and F: does not bring up the E: files in the left column where the top name is Playing Now.

I'm going to need a screenshot to understand what you mean here.

Or you could just look in the default "Files" View under Audio (See image, note I have renamed mine - you should have a View named just "Files"), and see what drives are listed. If you let MC import media files at first installation, you may have some files from several drives. You should see the E: drive listed. Select that, then all files in the View should be updated using Find & Replace. Select a few to learn how to do it, then select them all and do it for all files.

If it just shows the F: drive, and not the E: drive, then the backup may not have been from early enough. Try an earlier one. Just before you changed drives and re-imported.

Did the library backup load properly?

Maybe not.

Where is the find and replace and the Rename, Move and Copy Files located?

Down the bottom. Untick Filename, Directories  and the other checkbox.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_and_Copy_Files#Find_.26_Replace

Karrma

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2020, 01:33:34 pm »

I loaded a backup from April 2020, as I was also concerned about this.  I double-checked today that the new backup drives purchased were from August 2020, so definitely had a backup from prior.  No E: files show up at all when tried to reload this backup from April.  What is really odd is that last night the C: files showed up, and now it does not, and I am sure I did not do anything to change that, so maybe something with the Windows system.  So the backup library did not load as it should have. 

One thing I am wondering, why did the backup migrate over to the 5 Terabyte external drive, Seagate, and not stay on C:?  Is there some of my other files, such as the metadata, that has also moved?  I may have found a problem in naming, as the 5 Terabyte ED is called E: also, I don't remember doing that, but still, the backups should be staying on C: and not going over to E: or F:  according to JRiver. 

My computer recognizes my old music external drive as E: also. 

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2020, 02:33:34 pm »

Automatic backups will be saved as per the settings in "Options > File Location > Program Files > Library Backups". You may have set that to the E: drive at some time.

I am getting a little confused here though.
You had a 2TB external drive that held your music. Drive E:
You had a 4TB external drive for backups. Drive F:
The 2TB got full, so you moved your music to the 4TB drive, Drive E: to Drive F:.
You bought a new 5TB external drive for backups. I assume that you disconnected the 2TB drive and plugged the 5TB drive into the same USB port, and it received the drive letter E:

If that is what happened, that is all okay, as long as you don't let Auto Import run while you are fixing problems, as it may remove Library records and import files it finds on the drives when you don't want it to. Hence, turning off Auto Import before doing the Library Restore.

But then you say "One thing I am wondering, why did the backup migrate over to the 5 Terabyte external drive, Seagate, and not stay on C:", which confusing, because if I am correct above, the 5TB drive is now you general backup drive, and if the E: drive. So, if MC was always saving Library Backups to the old E: drive, then it would save new backups to the new E: drive, but it wouldn't move the old Library Backups to the new 5TB E: drive... unless the backups are really on the C: drive, and when you run your backup software it backs up file from C: to E:, including the MC Library Backups.

I assume that you copied the contents of the 2TB drive to the 4TB drive and left exactly the same directory structure in place? If not, that is a problem. The solution I recommended assumes that files will be found in the same path on the F: drive as they were on the E: drive. i.e.
E:\Music\(Multiple Artists)\The Best Covers of All Time\01 - Sweet Jane (The Velvet Underground).flac
would be found in;
F:\Music\(Multiple Artists)\The Best Covers of All Time\01 - Sweet Jane (The Velvet Underground).flac
after the drive change.

Or maybe the 4TB drive F: backup drive always just had an exact copy of the files on the 2TB drive E: disk, and you just wanted to switch which drive you used as the main music drive?

How did you determine that "No E: files show up at all when tried to reload this backup from April."? Where did you look? Did you use the Files View as I suggested? Or look at the [Filename] field for the files, in any View?

Maybe confirm or correct my assumptions above, and answer the questions. I'm sure can sort it out though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up