INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Allow Bookmark Field to be an Expression  (Read 449 times)

datdude

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Allow Bookmark Field to be an Expression
« on: November 14, 2020, 11:28:13 am »

I've been looking for a way to automatically reset the bookmark field so that my movies don't prompt to resume after a certain amount of time, say 30 days. This is the one behavior in MC that kills me!

Could you allow the bookmark field to be an expression so that if the file hasn't been played in X number of days, the field is cleared, but if it's within that time frame, the bookmark is set normally?

The other way to solve for this problem is to make the showtime feature automatically play the movie from the beginning since I would assume that's what all users would want. If you just select 'watch' then MC would use the bookmark if one is set.

Thanks
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

datdude

• MC Beta Team
Re: Allow Bookmark Field to be an Expression
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2020, 04:40:10 pm »

Another option would be to add a MCC 'play' command that bypasses the bookmark and truly starts from the beginning of the track no matter what. I can then program this to a button on my remote, and then if I want to resume I just press Watch' in theater view.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2020, 12:17:51 am »

The Bookmark field could never be a calculated field, as it is a standard field and has a lot of coding associated with it. Clearing it after a certain time would be difficult as well I think. MC doesn't really allow that sort of field update by separate expressions.

Did you know that pressing Stop twice clears the Bookmark? So if you played a move and it started from a Bookmark, just press Stop twice, then Play again, and MC will start from the beginning.

The Showtime functionality could perhaps be modified to always start a movie from the beginning. That sort of makes sense as a user who wanted to go through the Showtime feature before the movie is likely into the whole "Show me everything" mindset.

The next easiest solution I think is the idea in your second post. There is an MCC 10001, which is just called "MCC_PLAY", but I think it starts playing from the beginning of a file.

There is a table at the bottom of the page I linked to that calls the operation of 10001 "Play track from start". Test it and see. It may or may not play from the start for a video file.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2020, 10:41:00 am »

Thanks for the suggesions.

I had already tried both of those commands and the bookmark prompt still kicks in. Yes, I already have my remote programmed to stop twice with a separate stop button. Still annoying to have to do that when it could be automated.

You may be right about the bookmark field, just an idea. There was a very old thread from many years ago when they first introduced bookmarking that indicated they would look into automating a way to clear the field after a certain amount of time, so I think it is possible...

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2020, 03:10:06 pm »

There was a very old thread from many years ago when they first introduced bookmarking that indicated they would look into automating a way to clear the field after a certain amount of time, so I think it is possible...

Well, anything can be done in code. It would require a setting to turn it off, or set the length of time. It would also have to be initiated by a background process, much like the TV processes, or maybe when the file was viewed in MC. It is a bit corner case though.

I haven't seen that thread. Maybe it resulted in the double Stop being added?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up