INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mystery files during device sync?  (Read 1812 times)

macdonjh

• Citizen of the Universe
Mystery files during device sync?
« on: November 16, 2020, 03:56:21 pm »

Recently, during the last two weeks, I have seen these "mystery files" appear in my sync lists.  I noticed them when several files in my sync list showed a status of "File Missing".  It turns out, in every case, these files are .flac copies of .wav files in my library.  Why are these random .flac copies suddenly appearing in the folders containing my library files?

The vast majority of my library is .wav.  I do convert files to .flac when I sync them onto one of my DAPs or an SD card.  In the past, though, those .flac conversions weren't saved, at least not saved into the same folders where my library files are.

Does somebody know what is going on?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
Re: Mystery files during device sync?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2020, 08:34:14 pm »

If you are doing a manual convert from WAV to FLAC, and the FLAC files are ending up in the same folder as the original WAV files, then you have just missed a setting in the Convert Format Options, leaving the setting at "Convert to same folder as original files".

Your reference to "Missing Files" implies you are using Handheld Sync though, and there is no equivalent setting there.

So, more information required.
How are you converting?
Check your File Location settings.
Are you using an Audio Cache, or is that turned off?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

macdonjh

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 09:17:35 pm »

Thank you, RoderickGI.

For purposes of my original question, you are correct, I am using the Sync Handheld function.  Within the Options I am using "Use Specified Audio Format" and specifying .flac. 

I will have to look to remind myself about my file location settings.  I don't know whether or not I'm using and Audio Cache, and don't know where to look to find out.  All that makes me think whatever the default setting is for Audio Cache when MC is installed is what I am using.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2020, 10:22:16 pm »

The Audio Cache location is set under "File Location". You can set it to None. I do.

If you haven't touched it, then it would be on and pointing to the default location.

All that still doesn't really explain why the FLAC files created would be in the same directory with the WAV files. So some more investigation required.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

macdonjh

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2020, 04:58:20 pm »

RoderickGI,

I just looked and those "orphan" .flac files are "located" on the SD cards I use with my handheld/devices.  It's no wonder MC can't find them: the SD cards don't stay connected to my server computer.

I wonder, does MC save the path of files saved in a Playlist in the Library?  I still haven't tried sorting through all my settings, but the only thing I can remember doing differently is creating a Playlist to sync to my handheld/devices. 

Backstory: I generally use a small selection of SmartLists to pick tracks to sync, but I have a couple of DAPs with old user interfaces.  Those old DAPs would play those songs alphabetically by filename, which for me always begins with [artist].  I started taking the tracks I get from updating the SmartLists and adding them to a Playlist and then sorting by [name].  That way the songs would play in alphabetical order by song title on my old DAPs.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2020, 05:44:45 pm »

MC Shouldn't be importing files on the SD card unless Auto Import is set up to do so. You should be able to use Handheld Sync to send files to the SD card, and that's it. The converted files should not be in the Library.

If you were using the Convert Format functionality to manually convert the files, then there is a setting to "Leave original file; add the destination file to library", which could have been selected by mistake. But you are not using Convert Format.

MC saves the path of all files in the Library, but not specifically to Playlists within the Library. Playlists inside MC don't work that way. Of course, when you use Handheld Sync the Playlists used for the transfer are sent to the device as files, and those contain the path of the files on the device. But that won't result in the converted files appearing MC.

Some people have accidentally included the Cache location in Auto Import, which results in copies of all converted files ending up in the Library.

Of course, if you had "Fix broken links" in Auto Import set to "Yes" those missing files on the SD card would be removed from the Library. But that setting has to be used carefully.

Since MC25 Handheld Sync you can specify an "Audio Filename Rule" expression, so you can name the synced files as you wish. If the DAPS just play by filename sequence, you should just be able to select the Smartlists in Handheld Sync to have the files copied across. The Smartlists will be refreshed when the Sync is run. If you are copying the tracks to a Playlist to curate them a bit before syncing, what you are doing makes sense. I guess the sort by [Name] would help with the review process, but wouldn't be required otherwise.

Note that my experience is with the Windows version of MC. You Mac version may work a little differently, particularly in some of the details of Handheld Sync.

macdonjh

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 04:29:44 pm »

Thanks for replying again, RoderickGI.  Your comments mirror my experience.  I, too, was surprised to see .flac files in my Library with a path pointing to an SD card.  I still don't know how or why that happened.

I have converted formats a few time manually so I could e-mail smaller, low resolution files to friends.  I generally delete the low resolution copies, though, so they don't clutter my Library.

I recently reloaded an SD card with new songs.  I used the "convert format" utility within the Sync Handheld function.  After the sync had finished and I'd ejected my SD card I checked my Library and didn't find any .flac files with paths pointing to an SD card.  Maybe it was a gremlin who has since disappeared.

Thanks for the tip about Audio Filename Rule in MC25+.  I'll look for that.  I have two DAPs with old school UI which could benefit from that.  I may re-inherit a third from my son, too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up