INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Base Path"  (Read 780 times)

drhogan

• Recent member
"Base Path"
« on: November 21, 2020, 06:14:19 pm »

Need to rip about 500 CDs  to a NAS. I have various versions of JR  (19-27) installed on various laptops, etc. over the years. For some reason, I cannot figure out how to specify where to store the ripped files, regardless of the version  In researching the issue I have come across the phrase 'base path' many times.  However I cannot find a location to specify a 'base path' for ripping or other functions.  What am I missing?
David Hogan

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: "Base Path"
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 06:45:08 pm »

Options->File Location->Audio

The base path is what's specified right there. The base path is the part of the path that does not change, regardless of the ripped content.

To specify the same place, regardless of which MC installation you use, then use a UNC convention, like:
\\nas\volume1\FLAC

The next line in the options, Folder rule, specifies how your files will be organized under the base path, according to their metadata.

drhogan

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 08:40:15 pm »

So there is not a setting labeled "Base Path" but, instead, this is simply an adopted phrase?
David Hogan

wer

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 09:38:03 pm »

"Base path" is a generally understood term in the technology industry.

It is evidently unfamiliar to you. "Path" is a sequence through a directory structure. "Base path" means the foundational part of the path; the implication is that in context there is a variable portion of the path, or a variable structure under an invariant foundation.

This is not an "adopted phrase" in the sense it is in any way specific to JRiver.  Anyone with significant experience wih computer data storage systems would use this terminology normally in the appropriate context.

MC does have a field in the Rename Move & Copy Files dialog where the user can input a base path, and the entry box is labeled as such.  However, that dialog box has no relevance when ripping tracks, and you are asking about ripping tracks, and where the ripped tracks are placed on the filesystem. The RMCF dialog is only used when moving files around that are already in the MC library. So don't be confused.

I hope this clarifies for you.

drhogan

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 02:04:28 pm »

Almost 10 years of programming experience (admittedly pre-Windows) followed by 20+ years as the in-house IT guy for my company and I had never run across this term in this context.  File path - sure, but base path ? Called a programmer friend with UPS and he was not familiar with it either.  I guess that's what we get for living in KY - the home of the Louisville Slugger - where base path means the straight line between 1st and 2nd. :))
Regardless, thanks for the response.
David Hogan

wer

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2020, 04:32:06 pm »

I find that all very surprising. Equivalent experience myself (a few more years actually) and after all this time, if someone mentions the word "path" my mind immediately associates it with a filespec, not a trail on the ground or the line between the bases. Strange how the mind adapts.

But if you were a programmer, then you would have to be familiar with the concept of a "base address" or base addressing (you know, base+offset, as would be used for example in memory mapped i/o).  What we're talking about is no different, just applied to the filesystem, so I would have thought the wording alone would have triggered the right synapses for you.  Oh well...

Anyway glad everything makes sense to you now.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2020, 04:42:14 pm »

We also make up some of the stuff we use.  Play Doctor, Carnac, Hairstyle, etc.  They seem to acquire meaning over time.

wer

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2020, 05:56:08 pm »

You didn't make up Carnac. That was ripped off from Carson.

DJLegba

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2020, 06:57:56 pm »

You didn't make up Carnac. That was ripped off from Carson.

He did make up anti-virus though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up