INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 192khz Multichannel in Exclusive Mode  (Read 980 times)

jarrod2750

• Recent member
192khz Multichannel in Exclusive Mode
« on: November 24, 2020, 03:23:55 pm »

Hi newbie here to JMC 27.  So far so good except for the playing back of 192khz files that are more than two channels.  When in exclusive mode, JRiver will fold it down to two channels, but plays fine in direct sound mode. 

I know exclusive mode is supposed to eliminate all other programs from using the sound board, but is there any workaround to get 192khz multichannel to work in exclusive mode?  Or is the sound difference between direct and exclusive (wasapi) negligible?

I’m using a Nvidia 1030gt card with hdmi into a Marantz av8805

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: 192khz Multichannel in Exclusive Mode
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 04:28:15 pm »

Welcome to the forums...

There is no workaround needed. MC does multichannel at high sampling rates just fine. I do it every day.

DirectSound resamples audio. It's not what you want. WASAPI is better.

This is probably a configuration issue. Please post screenshots of your MC audio settings, and the output format module of DSP studio. Also a screenshot of audio path when you're playing the file.

jarrod2750

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 05:22:53 pm »

I think I might of figured it out.  The first two pictures show how I originally had it set up for wasapi,with channels selected as “source number of channels”.  I changed it to 7.1 channels (third picture) and 192khz multichannel seems to work.

I was stumped because my Marantz was showing a 5.1 signal but sound was only coming out in 2.1.  If there are any other recommendations that you have for me to make to allow the sound to be better, I am all ears.  On the first screen should I be checking the box to maximize the device output volume?

Thanks,

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 05:53:29 pm »

source number of channels is correct.   i have that set and it works fine. 

you also need to go into your windows sound control panel and configure your audio output device to the number of channels you have.  assuming you are using hdmi. 

for me, i have it set to 7.1 in the windows sound control panel for my nvidia audio output device.   i am connected via hdmi to a marantz processor.  works same for my usb dac, though that is asio and not set in the windows sound control panel
TV: LG OLED C1 83"
3D: LG OLED C6 65" (two) - madVR MVC->SBS
3D: Valve Index (using Media Center+MadVR) + Virtual Home Theater (Steam)
HTPC: Core i7, Win11, nVidia 3090RTX
Storage: 500TB Snapraid via SMB to Ubuntu 18 LTS server
Audio: exaSound e68 Multichannel USB DAC, Sonus Faber Speakers, REL Subx2
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp
Cables: Shotgun Interconnects, AudioQuest Cinnamon 48GB HDMI cables

wer

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2020, 06:03:57 pm »

Source number of channels sometimes doesn't work with some devices, so setting it manually to the max number of channels your hardware supports is usually a good thing.

You didn't show a screenshot of your audio path, so I can't be certain what your file is.  Google jriver audio path to see how to access it if you don't know.

I can tell you one thing for certain: if your 8805 said it was receiving a 5.1 signal, but was only outputting 2 channel sound, that is a Marantz problem. You might have had a sound field active. Marantz units can apply different sound processing settings based on the type of input signal, even on the same input. In other words, the 8805 could apply different settings to a 5.1 audio stream from MC than it does to a 7.1 or 2.0 stream.  It sounds like you might have some of that going on, so you might want to check your settings on the 8805.

You should download a 5.1 or 7.1 test file that lets you ID your speakers, to ensure all that is working properly.

If you are always going to control volume with the Marantz, then you can max device volume, and even disable the MC internal volume.  You might want to insert a 5dB cut in parametric eq to allow headroom for intersample peaks and other processing if also playing videos. That will prevent unnecessary clip protection.

jarrod2750

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 06:28:57 pm »

source number of channels is correct.   i have that set and it works fine. 

you also need to go into your windows sound control panel and configure your audio output device to the number of channels you have.  assuming you are using hdmi. 

for me, i have it set to 7.1 in the windows sound control panel for my nvidia audio output device.   i am connected via hdmi to a marantz processor.  works same for my usb dac, though that is asio and not set in the windows sound control panel

Yes, I am using hdmi and have set the output of windows to 7.1.  Thank you for your help.

jarrod2750

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 06:35:05 pm »

Source number of channels sometimes doesn't work with some devices, so setting it manually to the max number of channels your hardware supports is usually a good thing.

You didn't show a screenshot of your audio path, so I can't be certain what your file is.  Google jriver audio path to see how to access it if you don't know. 

I can tell you one thing for certain: if your 8805 said it was receiving a 5.1 signal, but was only outputting 2 channel sound, that is a Marantz problem. You might have had a sound field active. Marantz units can apply different sound processing settings based on the type of input signal, even on the same input. In other words, the 8805 could apply different settings to a 5.1 audio stream from MC than it does to a 7.1 or 2.0 stream.  It sounds like you might have some of that going on, so you might want to check your settings on the 8805.

You should download a 5.1 or 7.1 test file that lets you ID your speakers, to ensure all that is working properly.

If you are always going to control volume with the Marantz, then you can max device volume, and even disable the MC internal volume.  You might want to insert a 5dB cut in parametric eq to allow headroom for intersample peaks and other processing if also playing videos. That will prevent unnecessary clip protection.

I’m not sure where to take a screenshot but the audio path is via hdmi, but the Nvidia 1030gt card to the Marantz av8805.  The file I was using was a rip of a doobie brothers Blu-ray Quad Audio at 192khz.  The channels appeared to be correct when compared to what I heard in direct mode, except it sounded better.

I wasn’t running any sound fields and just ran it in direct mode, which means the Marantz doesn’t up/down mix or add any processing.  It only plays what is sent to it unaltered.  It does have the capability to support up to 13.1.

I appreciate the advice on the volume control.  Right now I am primarily using JMC for audio, so it sounds like it would make sense that I maximize the volume.

wer

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2020, 07:15:35 pm »

You don't know that "Audio Path" is a JRiver diagnostic function. That's why I suggested you google it.  If you had, you would have found this article:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Path

Take a look at it.

You will need to learn how to take a screenshot to get good help on the forum.  Windows has a built in utility called Snipping Tool.

jarrod2750

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2020, 07:57:56 pm »

Sorry I missed your mention of looking at the audio path- thanks for calling that out.  I had to wait to get access to the TV to take a picture of the screen, but here it is.

I did notice that it saying it outputting at 16 bits, instead of 24 so looks like something else I need to fine-tune.  Based on what I am readings since I am hooked up via HDMI and the Marantz can process up to 32 bit, I should probably turn bit streaming on.  The windows audio driver is already setup for 24 bit 192 kHz processing

wer

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2020, 09:38:06 pm »

No, you do not need or want bitstreaming for this.

HDMI supports 24bit audio, and so does the Marantz, but there may be issues with your audio driver.

Try different settings for bit depth in audio settings (switch away from automatic) and consult audio path after each change. You have to stop playback, make the change and OK it, and then start playback and look at audio path.

Some audio drivers have issues with the automatic setting.

I recommend you learn how to use Snipping Tool to take proper screenshots, instead of photographing your TV. It's easy.

jarrod2750

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2020, 09:46:51 am »

Thanks for the help.  I found 24 bit depth folded into 32 worked.  I also had to create two separate playback profiles.  One for 99% of my files and then a different one for any quad 4 channel files. I had to change the dsp settings for those files to be 4channel only otherwise they wouldn’t play correctly.

I run my setup as a headless PC so they few times I will play those files will require me to turn on the TV since JRemote doesn’t appear to allow you to change your dsp profile.  I did try to search for the solution and couldn’t find one.

wer

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2020, 12:39:51 pm »

I don't know why you would think you need to do that. You've described only in very vague terms, not specifically, what you've done in creating "two separate playback profiles" and wihout good screenshots I'm not going to try guessing. So I'll just give you a couple of pieces of general advice.

It is not necessary to do that, either via Zones or via DSP Presets, to playback various types of audio files in your situation. The settings that allow playback of multichannel or 4-channel will allow playback of stereo as well.  If 24bit in a 32bit wrapper is what your driver required, it will work for all audio types, unless there is something very wrong with your driver.

If one actually did need multiple zones, one can use Zoneswitch to automatically switch zones/configurations based on what is being played.  To learn about that, read here: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=76605.0   It is not necessary to turn on your TV to manually do anything.

Running headless with HDMI is crucial information. I wish you had mentioned it earlier. One problem you could also be having, is if your PC's behavior is different with the TV off thna with it on, then you are having an HDMI handshaking problem with the Marantz. This is not uncommon, but I can't be sure unless you are a lot more clear and explicit about what you are doing and what happens. You seem to sometimes make assumptions and draw conclusions that are not warranted. HDMI handshaking problems can be resolved with a device called "Dr HDMI".    But I can't diagnose further with what you've given me to go on.

Good luck...

jarrod2750

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2020, 01:03:05 pm »

I am not drawing any conclusions , just spending a lot of good invested time researching an issue and trying to resolve it while being a newbie.  JMC operates the same whether headless or with use with a monitor.  Actually, any program on the PC behaves the same whether used in headless mode or not.

This is not a hdmi handshake issue, but an issue with quadio 4 channel 192khz files. The same issue exist when I also try to play via Roon. Newly released  Quadio 4 channel 192khz recordings might introduce code that is new to both platforms.  I have no issue in exclusive mode playing my other files which range from 2 channel 44khz, up to 7.1 96khz and Stereo 192khz.  I’ve ran many headless PCs in the past (vortexbox) without any hdmi issues.

I apologize if I couldn’t figure out the answers right away and came to this forum for help, but spent hours researching on my own.  I also apologize if my screen shots aren’t good enough but they appear to be very clear and readable at the same time.

To be objective, have you tried playing back quadio 4 channel 192 kHz files in an exclusive environment on JMC 27 so your feedback is not based on assumptions and what it might be?  I believe based on your “feedback” to me, that is a fair critique to ask of you.

I’ve got it from here.  Best.

wer

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2020, 02:13:19 pm »

FYI I'm not JRiver staff. I'm another user spending my own time trying to do you a favor.

I play 4-channel audio all the time, in exclusive mode, and I've been doing it for years. But I'm not here to audition for you: you're the one asking for help.  You refer to "Quadio" files:more new information. That's a brand, not a file format.  But it doesn't matter. I was obviously way off base in thinking you were making assumptions. Your mastery of the concepts and software is evident and you're doing everything perfectly.

I'm glad the bit depth tip solved part of your problem, but since you have a handle on everything now I'll just say you're welcome and wish you luck with your approach.

jarrod2750

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2020, 09:01:18 pm »

The issue appears to be the need to add a 5th silent channel to these files and a limitation of Denon/marantzs to decode true 4 channel quad audio files.
Pages: [1]   Go Up