INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ghosting issues with 4k files  (Read 2192 times)

lello

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Ghosting issues with 4k files
« on: November 30, 2020, 07:49:22 am »

For some time I have been trying to solve a problem that occurs mainly with 4k videos, that is the well-known problem of ghosting.

As a test I use the scene from Acquaman 1:22:15 in which the camera moves from the man eating the apple to the group of people sitting.
In that scene, as in others, that ghosting effect is really annoying. :P
It would be solved with a projector with interpolation frame, but with my Epson TW9400 the interpolation frame is activated only with HD films and not UHD.
I tried SVP SmoothVideo Project, but it barely works with 2k, while with 4k, in addition to using too many resources, madvr tone mappings is not activated.

Does JRiver plan to activate a sort of interpolation frame for 4K too? Or can someone tell me some plugins to use with JRiver?

wer

Re: Ghosting issues with 4k files
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 12:11:14 pm »

It already has it.

If you use Red October HQ as your MC rendering mode, then you can turn on the Smooth Motion feature in MadVR.  You should definitely give it a try.

And in order for MadVR's Smooth Motion feature to work, you will have to increase the display rate for your movie from 24 to 120fps.

And then you will observe that blending 4k frames at high frame rates requires a tremendous amount of processing horsepower, as you have already seen with SVP.

That's why this functionality is built into TVs, so that it can be done in hardware with special ASICs.

If frame interpolation at 60 or 120fps is extremely important to you, you might need to consider a new video card or a new projector.

Good luck...

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 04:12:39 pm »

I tried smooth motion, but things got worse.
One thing I didn't understand. You say to increase the viewing speed of the film: in what way?

wer

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 04:36:25 pm »

Your movie is nativity 24fps.

Frame blending or interpolation must use MORE frames than that to have any effect.

So you must set your display rate for your video card to a higher rate, usually 60 or 120fps for movie playback, and keep it at this rate while playing your movie.

The frame rate MC uses is found in advanced video settings, if you have MC change the display rate. You would have to disable madvr display mode switching to use MC's.

I don't have access to a PC at the moment to give you further screenshots, but a google search can also teach you how to change these settings.  So if you're really interested in pursuing it further, that's what I'd suggest.

But it sounds like your computer has insufficient power for what you want to do.

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 05:26:19 am »

I was able to force the display to go out at 60hz by tweaking MC's screen settings and advanced video settings.
The pc does it (I have an Rx 580) but the problem remains with both smooth motion enabled and disabled.

Should I set something special on the video card panel?

It is a problem that I would like to solve, if possible, because with a screen of more than 3 meters of base, it is quite annoying.

But I can't buy a € 30,000 projector with frame interpolation even with 4k to solve this problem  :o ;D

wer

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2020, 12:47:49 pm »

Have you heard the expression "champagne taste and a beer budget"?

Your projector can't do it. Your PC can't do it either.  If you take a look at the SVP hardware requirements, they indicate your PC is woefully underpowered for what you want to do:
https://www.svp-team.com/wiki/Manual:SVP

They are recommending a 6-core i7 or an 8-core Ryzen7, plus a GPU.

You could try investigating a feature that MAY be available on your graphics card, Fluid Motion. Google it. Apparently it is not available in some driver releases on some cards; you can complain to AMD about that, or try different driver versions. If you have this feature, you could also try it combined with Bluesky Framerate Converter, which is sort of SVP for AMD graphics cards.  I don't use those packages so I won't be able to give you further help in that area. Bluesky is a Directshow filter, but it has very specific requirements, so I don't know if Bluesky is compatible with JRiver. You may get better answers about SVP and Bluesky if you ask on the SVP or Doom9 forums.

But it seems probable your RX580 will not have the power to do what you want. In which case would be back to the options you had before: spend some money on a new faster pc and/or card to address your desires, or learn to live with it.

Good luck.

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2020, 02:33:37 am »

I activated Fluid Motion in the graphics card panel, downloaded Bluesky Framerate Converter, set up and recorded, but as you expected it is not seen by JRiver.

At this point I really think I'll have to learn to live with my little problem :)

wer

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2020, 03:25:25 am »

Google does wonders.  If you google "jriver bluesky" you see there's one guy who says he got it working:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=123165.0

Good luck.

lello

• MC Beta Team
Re: Problemi di ghosting con i file 4k
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2020, 04:21:59 am »

Mah! I did exactly what he did, but the conversion just doesn't happen to me, even with 2k files.

Abandoned idea.
Pages: [1]   Go Up