INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver for Android Dolby Vision works but needs more tweaking, also suggestions.  (Read 639 times)

Ekpen

• Citizen of the Universe

Greetings:
Here is a report on my recent encounter with Dolby Vision playback on the new Chromecast tv, and Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro.
I installed JRiver for Android on both the new Chromecast and also the Shield Pro.

My intent was to see if JRiver for android will playback on the new chromecast.
I fired up Transformer 1, Transformer 2 and Transformer 3, and Alita battle Angel, GI Joe rise of cobra, and G.I Joe Retaliation.

On the new Cast.   all movies played the Dolby vision with a   little flaw.
I also tested these tittles on Shield Pro.
The Bravia tv in use was a Sony 2019.
These titles play with the exception of G.I Joe Rise of Cobra.
The flaws I noticed during each playback was probable  with MC 27.0.35 itself.
From opening screen, I noticed 20-25 secs pause, then the movies will start to play by itself without any user intervention.

Sony Bravia indicated that the contents being played are indeed "Dolby Vision"
This "pause and go" behavior leads me to write this  on the forum, maybe the developer will have to take a look at MC 27.0.35 itself.
I thought the cpu will offload data to the graphics cards to help relief the cpu.
My Cpu on this Amd 64 server is Intel 6950X, memory 128 gig, MC installed on Samsung SSD. I am running Ubuntu 20.10.

the GPU a pair of Nvidia rtx 2080ti with nvlink.
Why the stop and go behavior ?
If another family member had logged in to watch a movie, the whole system would have crashed. I thought multiple users login in to the server are feasible, but it does not look like it.
The take away from this observation is JRiver for Android, installed on the new Chromecast tv and The Shield Pro can detect and play Dolby Vision.
In the case of the Shield, it may also need to have a custom Exoplayer installed, assuming you are not going to load JRiver for Android.
The next issue I want to write about is a request. I have asked for this request before.
Look at this scenario. I have over 2800 titles. I want to play let us say "Yanni".
I have to use my finger to thumb down from the top to where Yanni is. This is cumbersome.
Any way a search button or icon be placed at the top of the screen to help navigate ?
 Also, can we have media info for audio and video. At this moment JRiver has no feature like this.

I have also complained about color bleeding. We need background and foreground color selection. It looks muddy as of now. We could use a little color scheme borrowed for JRemote and Jremote2.
I did complain about "Recent" both for audio and video views. It is ugly to have to view contents in a single horizontal lines. Info should fill the screen.
Knowing that JRiver for Android has hidden potentials, I ask that the feature and interface be improved.
The testing of Dolby Vision playback will continue.
MC regardless of platform needs to play videos without pausing and continues.
Maybe a need to revisit Hardware acceleration, and multi user logins.

Thanks JRiver Developers.

George Omoregie.

rec head

Are your DoVi sources discs or rips? If they are rips what format? I quickly tried ripping War of the Worlds with MakeMKV 1.15.3 and it didn't play as DoVi on my Shield.

Ekpen

I am sorry for the late reply, medical problems.
My rips are all mkvs   1.53.
The chromecast dongle returned to Best buy.
The stop and go I experienced is a no no.
If hardware gets updated,  I will purchase  and test.
Thanks.
George.
Pages: [1]   Go Up