INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: non HDR video too dark  (Read 4302 times)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
non HDR video too dark
« on: December 01, 2020, 11:13:40 am »

Could someone help me with this?

I've been setting up a new HTPC with Madvr for 4K and HDR. Most videos play fine and non-hdr material generally plays fine too.

However, some uhd bluray rips (not my own) play waay too dark and I dont know how to fix that. Turning up brightness on the TV simply washes out the image and doesnt actually correct the issue.

Ive been going over setttings and tried things with madvr hdr settings but nothing seems to do anything.  Disabling hdr in madvr makes it even darker.

Popping up the context menu in display mode (right click playing a video) to access directshow / madvr settings brightens the screen temporarily (does it exit exclusive mode maybe thats why).

Any ideas please? Thanks!

tij

• MC Beta Team
Re: non HDR video too dark
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 06:22:01 am »

In MadVR, you passing HDR to TV or tone mapping with MadVR (does HDR logk pops up on your TV)?

Also ... what movie? ... it might be intentionally set dark
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

Manfred

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 10:10:34 am »

Do you have RGB setup in all participating devices (like in my attached picture)?

I had the same problem in the past - I had the wrong set-up in my OLED TV.
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 02:06:31 am »

Thanks for the suggestions.

I've been at it over the weekend, I checked the steps from the jpg, I found that on avs forums too with a lot of discussions about configs and suggestions. I tried most suggestions and config examples there too. The only thing I hadn't done is the nvidia output in 8-bit. To confuse things a little, that was with my laptop with nvidia card, I sold the laptop over the weekend and I am back to the latest generation i5 NUC. It has the same issue so it must be my TV somehow.

Its definitely not the movie thats intentionally being too dark. Its immediately visible, from the intro paramount mountain top or that gold theater intro. Some have that bad robot intro, its really obvious and just waaay too dark with absolutely no details whatsoever in the dark parts, its completely crushed. Also, those movies would look washed out, they look dull and dimmed and low on contrast in bright colorful scenes. Its really not a matter of the scenes being intentionally dark.

Whatever I try to get proper HDR ouput, the screen remains too dark for almost all HDR material. Its all the movies that are too dark, they are all 4k/UHD with HDR, but some/most maybe all HD/SDR series come out too dark as well (havent tested everything). On the other hand, one series would play fine which was also 4k HDR. Just one, so I wonder if it has anything to do with how they are encoded that my tv doesn't handle? Maybe in the hdr metadata? I have no idea really.

Anyway, I did find a working solution and that is to disable HDR completely, in Windows settings, and configure Madvr to do tone mapping to 100 lut and output in SDR. The hdr logo no longer pops up obviously, I increase gamma on the tv to 2.4, set black level high and play with brightness to get black to be black (which is around 54). This gives me the best detail in dark scenes but in the test screens (blinking black and white bars) the last 2 or 3 white bars are clipping. I'm not sure if I can get that right somehow, but black is more important to me than 2 shades of white clipping.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2020, 08:27:58 am »

Its possible your PC outputting full level (0-255) ... while your TV is set on limited range (16-255) ... in this case you loose dark details (crushed blacks)

Not sure about your TV ... but on mine i have to set HDMI input on my TV that connects to PC to "PC mode" to set it to full range
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2020, 05:31:25 am »

Its possible your PC outputting full level (0-255) ... while your TV is set on limited range (16-255) ... in this case you loose dark details (crushed blacks)

Not sure about your TV ... but on mine i have to set HDMI input on my TV that connects to PC to "PC mode" to set it to full range

Correct, I have wide, extended (or was it enhanced?) and limited. I have no idea what the difference is between wide and extended/enhanced but I cant see a difference.

Everything is going to change. The NUC wasn't fast enough for what I wanted, so I tested madvr with my Game laptop with GTX 1070 a few weeks back. This worked reasonably well but I was able to sell the laptop for a good price. With that money I bought a RTX3070 and Razer-x eGPU via thunderbolt 3 to connect it to the NUC. The razer-x is compatible with the 30x0 series, but Intel / tb3 / 300x0 series is a no-go. Only drama, just doesn't work right. So I temporarily used my son's 1080Ti which works reasonably well, but still issues due to the nuc preferring its internal gpu, going dual screen with an invisible screen left of the tv where are dialog boxes are going), even though there's nothing connected to the internal hdmi. Coincidentally, a colleague was looking for a SFF pc and he bought the nuc so I got rid of that. All I have to sell now is the Razer-x and I'll be getting myself a homebuilt pc again with amd 3600xt / pci-e 4.0 and that 3070. I have a usb rc-6 receiver for the mc remote.

Bumpy road, minimal losses financially just a lot of time and frustration.
Pages: [1]   Go Up