INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Converting one file flaс with cue to individual flac files  (Read 1939 times)

GB

• Recent member
Converting one file flaс with cue to individual flac files
« on: December 06, 2020, 06:48:19 am »

I'm going to convert my huge flac collection with cue to indivdiual flac files. One hurdle that prevents me from doing it is that I can not make JRiver delete the basic one file flac after splitting. This is substantial to me, because my collection is huge and there is no space left on the hard drive.
The process is the following: I add a cue file to the mc library, highlight all the files appeared in the library, select "convert format", select "FLAC Encoder", in the options I choose "convert to same folder as original files" and "replace the original file on disk and in library", then I press "convert". The conversion is successful, but the original one file flac remains on the hdd. The files are not set for read-only. I've tried this on different files and hard drives.
What am I doing wrong then?

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Converting one file flaс with cue to individual flac files
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 08:10:57 am »

You have selected the one type of conversion, Extracting Multiple Tracks from a Single File, where MC does not automatically delete the Original File for lots of Valid/Obvious Reasons!
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 08:37:49 am »

You have selected the one type of conversion, Extracting Multiple Tracks from a Single File, where MC does not automatically delete the Original File for lots of Valid/Obvious Reasons!
Deleting a source file is always a dangerous operation. That is why it is not done automatically. But, there is an option that the user can select to replace the source file. That should be honored. If  is a particularly dangerous operation, the standard Windows practice of having a popup ask "Are you sure" could be used. But, at some point, doesn't the user get to choose what action he wants taken? That is why the option is there.

GB

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2020, 09:06:34 am »

Is this for for sure that nothing can be done about it? I've tried the process because I got the following answer from "timwtheov" on Interact:
"I saw in your other post you had moved in your big flac files in Explorer and then reimported them into MC after having deleted them prior to the move.

However, why not just break the big flac files down into individual flac tracks using MC's tool "Covert Format?" Wer's suggestion of moving to individual flac files is a very good one, as you'll have all the benefits of tagging (saving tags into the individual flac files, for example), plus since flac is natively gapless, you're not going to lose the gapless quality of the big flac file + cue sheet. Convert Format works pretty quickly too, even if you have a lot of albums stored as cue/big flac: I could get through about 2,000 tracks in about 30-45 minutes with my five-year old PC.

It's real easy to do. Try it on an album or two first and then once you get used to it, try a batch. You will have to put a couple of the cue sheets back into MC (and later all of them if you decide to split them all into tracks), then highlight the tracks, right click, select "Library Tools" and then "Convert Format:"

https://pix01.jriver.com/gallery/134ECAA6-6ED4-4647-81D9-0F261024D80F/CF/

That will bring you to the Convert Format dialogue where you can choose the options you want. You want flac-to-flac, so "Convert [your number of highlighted] files to: FLAC Encoder," and then you can choose the folder options under "Options." I always choose the same directory as the original file, and I also replace the original file "on disk and in library," as I don't want 2 copies of the same album, but obviously all of that is up to you:

https://pix01.jriver.com/gallery/134ECAA6-6ED4-4647-81D9-0F261024D80F/Convert_Format/

Again, try it out with an album or two to start, maybe without replacing the original file in your initial attempt(s), till you're familiar with it."

So if there is no way for JRiver to automate the process of deleting the source file after the conversion, there is no need to reply to this message.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2020, 12:49:59 pm »

It is rather messy, but the following is an idea how you could do it..

- Save a copy your original Flac library
- Use MC to split + convert your Cue + Flac files to a non-Flac format (say Alac)
- Delete the Flac files using wild cards
- Use MC to convert the Alac files to Flac
- Delete the Alac files using wild cards
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

GB

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2020, 12:10:00 am »

Hello,

There are cue editor programs that can be found on the Internet. But are there a cue editor JRiver plugins?

GB

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2020, 12:55:04 am »

I'm asking the developers to finally make it clear as to whether it's possible or was possible for JRiver to automatically delete the souce flac file after being converted to individual flac files. I can't fuly take advantage of the MC, because I have a massive amount of flac files with cue. I'm writing this becasue I've just got the following message as regards the matter from a man with a nickname "timwtheov", who is on Interact.

"You know I just tried a conversion of a cue sheeted flac with "Replace original file on disk and in library," and the same thing happened to me, i.e., the original, single large flac file was still there after the conversion. I wonder if they've changed something in one of the newer versions and haven't changed the wording of the Convert Format option. It certainly didn't used to work this way, as I've converted hundreds of cue-flac files over the years and always had the original file get replaced with the individual tracks, as per the wording in the option.
Maybe ask on the forum if something changed or if maybe a bug is there.
The folks that have responded to you are not developers, by the way, at least what I read on the thread you're referencing here. Jim, Matt, Hendrik, Yaobing, and a couple of others are the developers".

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2020, 01:14:58 am »

No

All the plugins for MC can be found here - https://yabb.jriver.com/mediacenter/accessories.php and here https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/board,5.0.html

Caution - Some the plugins listed on those pages may no longer be available or work in MC27
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2020, 05:40:54 am »

If you extract FLAC files from a CUE file, you can delete the CUE files.

There are some FLAC files that act as a container, just like CUE.  Try a Google search to learn more.

The safest way to delete files if you're not sure is to just rename them as .tmp files, for example.  Or move them.

Please stop demanding that JRiver explain.  Experiment carefully.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2020, 06:25:07 am »

JimH - He wants to automatically delete the cue files and associated flacs when checking the Replace box in the convert function. He reports that that does not work.  It seems like this is a function that works for most files but does not work for cue based files. If that is true, is that by design or an oversight?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2020, 07:05:46 am »

CUE files are really a special case and it's not clear what should happen.  The CUE to FLAC "conversion" is really an extraction of the FLAC file.

In any case, he can experiment to see what happens and do some manual cleanup if necessary.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2020, 07:11:23 am »

Of course cue files are a special case. The question remains - is the action that MC takes by design or an oversight that should be fixed?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2020, 07:31:22 am »

Of course cue files are a special case. The question remains - is the action that MC takes by design or an oversight that should be fixed?
As I said, it's not clear what should happen.  We're not going to change it in any case.  It can be handled manually.

mvandyke

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2020, 07:42:21 am »

I use Medieval CUE splitter v1.2 and it works great but does not interface with JRiver

GB

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2020, 07:43:20 am »

Manual cleanup of 10 tb of flac files? Has anyone read my previous message to the end? The man used to convert a lot of one flac files and had them deleted automatically by JRiver.
Yes, the "CUE to FLAC "conversion" is really an extraction of the FLAC file". This this why, I suppose, the source flac file shoud be deleted automatically. I do not cafe about cue files. I can handle them manually afterwards. They weigh peanuts as opposed to flac.

GB

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2020, 07:48:56 am »

I know, but, to the best of my knowledge, it does not automatically delete the source flaс file after the splitting. For me it's a deal breaker.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2020, 07:59:54 am »

You can probably just delete all the CUE files, but you need to experiment carefully.

Better would be to move them, so MC doesn't import them again.

GB

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2020, 08:20:03 am »

If I delete a cue file, add flac to JRiver, convert it, JRiver will duplicate the source flac according to the amount of tracks. Whatever I do, the source flac remains.

GB

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2020, 09:00:08 am »

So, as far as I understand, right now there is neither a cue editor nor an option to automatically delete the source flac based on cue available within JRiver.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2020, 09:59:47 am »

If I delete a cue file, add flac to JRiver, convert it, JRiver will duplicate the source flac according to the amount of tracks. Whatever I do, the source flac remains.
Set up auto import so you're re-importing the original CUE files.

I'm locking this thread now.  You need to find a solution on your own.
Pages: [1]   Go Up