INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Synchronizing iTunes XML file instead of import only?  (Read 626 times)

Teejoo

• Recent member
Synchronizing iTunes XML file instead of import only?
« on: December 13, 2020, 12:59:24 pm »

Hi, I'm testing MC27 at the moment. I will use it with my Trinnov Altitude.

I installed in on a windows 10 headless PC that I use as a server. Also bought the IOS app.

- I need MC to run as a windows service. I couldn't find the option, so have to use Always Up for that task. Is it correct that that's the only way to do this?
- I managed to import my iTunes playlists. I'm wondering if the iTunes XML file is watched so it synchronizes changes automatically like Sonos does for an instance?

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Thinking of buying JRiver, but have a few questions
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 01:21:37 pm »

- I need MC to run as a windows server. I couldn't find the option, so have to use Always Up for that task. Is it correct that that's the only way to do this?

If you're going to ask for a specific thing, you should use specific language. Do you mean "run as a windows SERVICE"?
If so, no you are not correct about "Always Up"; this functionality is built in to MC.  Look here: Options->Startup->Windows Startup->Run on Windows Startup: Media Server
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Startup_Settings

- I managed to import my iTunes playlists. I'm wondering if the iTunes XML file is watched so it synchronizes changes automatically like Sonos does for an instance?

No.  But you can configure Auto-Import to automatically watch for the presence of actual media files.
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Auto-Import

Good luck...

Teejoo

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2020, 02:31:07 pm »

If you're going to ask for a specific thing, you should use specific language. Do you mean "run as a windows SERVICE"?
If so, no you are not correct about "Always Up"; this functionality is built in to MC.  Look here: Options->Startup->Windows Startup->Run on Windows Startup: Media Server
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Startup_Settings

No.  But you can configure Auto-Import to automatically watch for the presence of actual media files.
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Auto-Import

Good luck...
You are right, I mean as a Windows Service. But what you say does only work when you login to Windows. That’s not what I mean. I want to start the media server without logging on. So hence the service request that starts when the pc is powered up.

I will check the auto import, but it needs to update playlists too.

wer

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2020, 02:41:57 pm »

I miscommunicated a bit myself. If you want to run without login, as a true service, then yes you have to use something else, like SC, to enable that. The MC startup options will cause Media Server to run without the GUI, but it still requires login.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/sc-create

Teejoo

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2020, 09:55:43 am »

I have the Windows Service request solved with Always up and this runs very stable.

So my only problem is how to get the iTunes XML synchonized with MC. I read there used to be a program called MC & iTunes Synchronizer, but this doesn't work anymore.

But I am wondering since the iTunes database import works perfect now why there can't be a sort of auto import from the XML database just like with a regular folder. Other programs like Sonos or Linn Kazoo are able to do that by checking the changes in that file.

Teejoo

• Recent member
Re: Synchronizing iTunes XML file instead of import only?
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2020, 07:19:13 am »

I've changed the title of this topic into the only remaining question: Is it possible to make MC synchronize with the iTunes XML file?

The import works great for the initial import, but if you re-run the import it simply adds the same playlists with the latest changes. What we need is only to check for changes and change them in MC.

It feels to me MC should be able to do this as it works with the 'watched' folders, and MC is able to read the XML file.

The workaround is to delete all iTunes playlist and make a new XML import.

wer

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2020, 12:43:03 pm »

I've changed the title of this topic into the only remaining question: Is it possible to make MC synchronize with the iTunes XML file?

That's not a remaining question. It's been answered.

Teejoo

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2020, 05:03:12 pm »

That's not a remaining question. It's been answered.
Ok, but why can't this be implemented? It doesn't make sense.

I was under the impression that the developers also watched this forum.

wer

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2020, 06:06:59 pm »

I'm just a user like you. So I can't answer "why not" questions on behalf of JRiver.

MC doesn't implement continuous synchronization with iTunes playlists.  The developers do watch the forums, but whether they comment on a question like this is another matter.

You can import iTunes playlists whenever you want, and MC can automatically watch for new music files.

Good luck...

Pages: [1]   Go Up