INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hairstyle on Multiple monitors..  (Read 2514 times)

Smoove_D

• Recent member
  • I fooped in my pants!
Hairstyle on Multiple monitors..
« on: March 27, 2003, 08:13:19 pm »

Is there any way to force hairstyle to display on a second display?  Whenever I go into full screen mode with Hairstyle, it displays on my primary monitor, even if MC is on the second display when full screen is invoked.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Hairstyle on Multiple monitors..
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2003, 04:00:23 am »

What version of MC are you using?  Have you tried the latest?  It's in the first thread here.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2003, 04:23:15 am »

Right click on the display and do a "Configure Display..."

You can pick a full screen monitor from there.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Smoove_D

• Recent member
  • I fooped in my pants!
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2003, 06:56:53 am »

Matt,

Do you mean through the Windows Displays Applet, or through Media Center?  Im running 9.1.134 by the way.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2003, 07:16:22 am »

In MC, right click on the display screen.

sraymond

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2003, 07:41:05 am »

I have an ATI AIW 8500 DV and the latest drivers.

The only choice I've ever had for the "Full Screen:  Monitor:" is  "Display #1 (default)".  I send to the TV by cloning the TV and using the overlay.  This fails me with Hairstyle, because the "hairstyle" doesn't get sent to the overlay - only the video.

Has anyone gotten an ATI to deal with a second choice for "Full Screen:  Monitor:"?  If I'm doing something wrong, I'd LOVE to find out what, as it'd make MC much more usefull for me.

Griff?  Yaobing?

Scott-

Smoove_D

• Recent member
  • I fooped in my pants!
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2003, 07:55:42 am »

Awesome!  Thanks Matt!

Smoove_D

• Recent member
  • I fooped in my pants!
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2003, 07:56:11 am »

I mean Jim.. thanks alot!

Griff

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2003, 10:12:26 am »

Hi Scott

The only choice I've ever had for the "Full Screen:  Monitor:" is  "Display #1 (default

Had not have time to play with this, too busy planting grass.

But:

Display settings/settings/click monitor2/at bottom check "extend my windows desktop onto this monitor".

This will give you the display option #2 in MC9.

Thats all the further I got with it, no time.

If you get any futher, please let me know.

Griff

sraymond

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2003, 01:56:47 pm »

Griff,

Thanks for the pointer...  I do get the Display #2 now in MC, but the only thing that shows up on the TV are the control bars - no video.  But it does appear to be a step in the right direction.

I notice that when I did as you suggested (with the extend my desktop) I had to first choose the "2. Default Monitor on AIW 8500 DV" vice the "1. Gateway FPR1570 on AIW 8500 DV" (which had the two check boxes greyed out).  Upon selecting the "2..." and the "Extend my desktop", I noticed that in the advanced window the dispays (monitor and TV) are now numbered vice the "primary" and "clone" choices I had before.

I'll try to find some time to dig around on www.rage3d.com and figure out the particulars of the "extend my desktop" options.

JRiver:  Any idea why I'm not getting video on the TV when selecting the "monitor #2"?  Again, the control bars show up fine - but there's nothing in between them except my wallpaper design.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2003, 02:09:22 pm »

I'll give you a wild piece of information that may not help but it appears you're desparate.

A few months ago (5?), someone else had a similar problem.  It turned out to be something to do with the way the card was set.  It had some special mode for output to the TV.  I think he disabled it in order to get it to work.

Bear in mind that this comes from a 58 year old memory (mine).  A lot of stuff has passed between these ears.

Griff

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2003, 03:33:21 pm »

Scott

I noticed that in the advanced window the dispays (monitor and TV) are now numbered vice the "primary" and "clone" choices I had before

Did a quick check, mine didnt change.

?

But Im still using Jan or Feb 2003 drivers.

control bars show up fine - but there's nothing in between them except my wallpaper design.

Same here.

Suppose to rain here the next couple of days, will try to play with it again.

JimH

I'll give you a wild piece of information

Thinking on that one.

But Thanks.

Bear in mind that this comes from a 58 year old memory (mine).  

Yes, but its a good one.

Same age as me, huh.

Found a workaround for my .mp2 thumbnail image prob.,

you remember, "First I had some, then I had none".

Going to change the default "?" to your image (Make Hairstyle look better) and then pass out darts to guest.

HA HA HA HA HA

Have a great night

Griff

sraymond

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2003, 09:08:20 pm »

OK...  after a few hours of trying to find a pattern to the madness, I think I'm on to something.  Again, I have an ATI AIW 8500 DV with the latest drivers.

It would seem that once MC goes to full-screen on the 2nd display (the TV), the video must be stopped and restarted.  If the video is not yet "playing now", then starting it while aready in full-screen works fine.  This appears to always fix the problem of nothing on the TV except the control bars.  Is this a bug or a feature?

Griff:  Does this work for you?

On occasion, there is a problem with the hairstyle not activating when the video is full-screen on the second display.  But I can't yet discern a pattern.

So...  I have a question:  A few months ago I asked about getting the hairstyle on TV Out - to no avail.  Now it seems that using the full-screen on a 2nd monitor (i.e. TV Out) seems to be one solution (excepting the occasional refusal to toggle to the hairstyle, as mentioned above).  Is there anyone that has gotten hairstyle using the overlay/theater mode?  All told, the theater mode seems cleaner for applications other than MC (but I'm hoping I can quickly stop using other apps!)   And there's a problem with using full-screen on a second monitor:  doing so prevents me from seeing the video on the 1st monitor.  This has proven a hassle when trying to do a photo slideshow.

Can anyone else provide some guidance?

Thanks!

Scott-

Griff

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2003, 05:20:49 pm »

Hi Scott

Didnt forget about  the prob.

Ordered the cd off ATI for the new dvd and MMC8.1.

When I get it then Ill play with it some more.

MMC8.5 will be out in the next couple of mts.

It will have Easylook for us HT people.

Seen in another thread, that your screen went to half size again, on the TV.

Griff

akak718

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2003, 07:20:30 pm »

Sounds like you guys are confused about what overlay is. It is actually Video Overlay and will only work on a video window. I don't think hairstyle will ever do that. It is an app window that has a video window inside of it.

When you extend your desktop onto the second monitor, turn off the video overlay option. I think you're problem is that the two setting are conflicting with each other.

-Lou

sraymond

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2003, 07:55:43 pm »

Lou,

You wrote:
Sounds like you guys are confused about what overlay is. It is actually Video Overlay and will only work on a video window. I don't think hairstyle will ever do that. It is an app window that has a video window inside of it.

When you extend your desktop onto the second monitor, turn off the video overlay option. I think you're problem is that the two setting are conflicting with each other.

I thought I'd a pretty good handle on what the overlay is and ATI's implementation of theater mode.  

When you "Extend my Windows desktop" onto the second monitor (TV), there's no need to deactivate the overlay - the overlay tab is present but no longer controllable.  This would make sense as there's no longer a place to play the overlay.

I distinctly remember playing with some program that displayed more than just the video window on the overlay (i.e. control bars, if I remember correctly), but for the life of me I can't recall the specific application.

What I'm looking for is a way to see the Hairstyle on the TV (which I can do using full-screen on the second display) while still able to see the Hairstyle on the first display (which I can do by cloning to the TV and using the overlay's theater mode).  I just can't do *both*.  Well, that's not exactly true.  If I assign both displays to primary (vice cloning the TV), it works - but using the same frequency causes problems with the LCD.

Any advice?

Scott-

sraymond

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2003, 08:10:44 pm »

Griff,

What does Easylook do for us?  I could find no mention of it on http://www.rage3d.com and googling didn't give anything of interest.

I was thinking about trying MMC 7.9 or 8.1, but I'm not sure why I need MMC any longer.  MC seems to be doing a pretty good job with the TV, so I'm quite happy.  Well, not totally happy, as I still am bothered by the inability to automatically (or by remote or hotkey) change format between NTSC and PAL - but I can hardly blame MC for that!

Scott-

akak718

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2003, 02:22:42 pm »

I distinctly remember playing with some program that displayed more than just the video window on the overlay (i.e. control bars, if I remember correctly), but for the life of me I can't recall the specific application.

What I'm looking for is a way to see the Hairstyle on the TV (which I can do using full-screen on the second display) while still able to see the Hairstyle on the first display (which I can do by cloning to the TV and using the overlay's theater mode).  I just can't do *both*.  Well, that's not exactly true.  If I assign both displays to primary (vice cloning the TV), it works - but using the same frequency causes problems with the LCD.

Scott,

I don't know what to tell you.  I was taking my best guess from what I've seen before, but my card is NVIDIA so it works a little different. It understands that the second monitor is a tv and allows me to clone to the tv with different refresh settings for the tv and my main monitor.

-Lou

sraymond

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2003, 05:06:43 pm »

Lou,

Yeah...  using clone mode, all is well because ATI allows two different refresh rates.  But then I guess I'd need to turn off theater mode and go with video full screen on the monitor - which means I can't use my computer for other things while my son is watching his crazy cartoons (hopefully something more educational!)

I'm wanting my cake and to eat it too.  Thanks for the perspective.

Scott-

Griff

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2003, 06:03:19 pm »

Hi Scott

What does Easylook do for us?

Not much info. on it.

The new AIW 9800 will have it.

Thats why I bought the 8.1 dvd.

Its prob. going to be a pre req. for MMC8.5.(but dont take my word for it.)

Easylook looks like a "Front end" for ATI apps., for HT people.

A front end is like MC and Showshifter.

I have been trying to buy some time befor playing with this.

Because DX9 and DX9a has memory release probs.

I cant be here 24/7 but I do look for Video peoples problems.(Well not so much since someone did some trashing when I solved one of Docs prob.)

Hey, got a new toy.

And it looks good so far.

Email me for info.

akak718

Thanks for trying to help.

But:
Sounds like you guys are confused

I dont think so.

but my card is NVIDIA

No, no quite. You have a Nvidia chip.

But, Wellcome to the Forum.

We need all the Video people we can get.

Then maybe someone will listen to us.

Griff

Pages: [1]   Go Up