INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which is dominant? MJ or MC?  (Read 3641 times)

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Which is dominant? MJ or MC?
« on: April 10, 2003, 08:19:39 am »

Once MC is released, will you guys revamp the site to focus on MC? Or will MJ remain the dominant product?

Personally, I think MJ has more of a submissive attitude, even though she is older.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Which is dominant? MJ or MC?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2003, 08:42:46 am »

Once MC is released, will you guys revamp the site to focus on MC? Or will MJ remain the dominant product?

That is a good question.

nila

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2003, 08:44:50 am »

My bet's on MC! :)

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2003, 10:02:56 am »

That is a good question.

Maybe you ought to stick them in the bedroom together and see which one winds up with the riding crop in hand...

zevele10

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2003, 10:21:50 am »

Not sure.
But if you want to try to win on the JukeBox front ,just keep MJ as a really important product.

Try to put out a MJ version with ALL the musical features of MC9- at a cheaper price than MC...

I know you are very proud of MC - and yes ,you can be VERY proud-
But , think about people outside of USA , looking for a jukebox and seing MC at $40 because of the TIVO stuff.
They JUST DO NOT KNOW WHAT TIVO IS.
They do not want to pay twice the price of the average jukebox [ MM R1] for features they cannot use..

If today i was looking for a jukebox , as i did when i bought MJ7 , i would by MJ8 ,not spend $40 for a tons of features i do not care about or just cannot use because not avaible where i live.

my 2 gold $$

ChicoSelfs

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2003, 10:33:51 am »

Yup i agree with Zevele, MJ is a must for that only use this kind of software only for music, now you have to include on MJ ASIO support and other updated plugins and more tagging support, for MC keep the more multimedia support: Video, Tv images and others. Keep MJ for audio lovers with all the potential of a powerfull audio jukebox and MC to a more range of multimedia support.
Made in Portugal

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2003, 10:37:51 am »

Are there any plans to just use the MC code and rip out the video & image stuff for MJ?

So instead of MJ8, there's actually and MJ9, that has the integrated File Properties, and CD burning with DSP settings, etc?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2003, 10:39:10 am »

And actually.... can MJ access an MC Media Server?

Is Media Server smart enough to filter out the incompatible file types? Or can MJ do it itself?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2003, 10:47:14 am »

And actually.... can MJ access an MC Media Server?

Is Media Server smart enough to filter out the incompatible file types? Or can MJ do it itself?

MJ and MC servers are different enough that they aren't compatible.

Media Server only serves files that it can stream.

For TiVo, we just introduced on-the-fly conversion, so we may add more to Media Server soon.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2003, 11:22:47 am »

I actually asked this question in another thread, but now I don't remember which thread it was, so I don't know if it's been answered.

Can Media Server now, or will it in the near future, convert formats on the fly when serving other MC clients?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2003, 11:37:43 am »

In theory, yes.  Probably in the next release.

nila

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2003, 12:42:12 pm »

Dont rip out the Video for MJ9, rip out the TIVO and the hairstyle mode.

(everyone's gonna want different things which is why the plugin idea was such a good one).

But Doof's right. I'd never have paid $40 for it.
It's a jukebox for my music and now also some tv series, its a hobby but not worth $40. :(

Thanks for the free upgrade!! :)

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2003, 01:56:39 pm »

I thought this was all resolved months ago ?

I recall reading many threads where JimH & others said there was going to be TWO versions... MC & another audio only player (MJ) without TV, DVD, or Images.

In fact there was also a vote as to if JRiver should offer a "Simple" version for people who only wanted to play music & an "Advanced" version for those who wanted it all.

Am I missing something here???
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2003, 02:07:54 pm »

No, you're not missing anything. This was all decided months ago.

I was just wondering if MJ8 was going to stay the way it was or if they were going to make it the same as MC9, only without the video and image stuff.

Like, if you look at MC9 strictly from an audio point of view, there's still a lot of differences between it and MJ8. So I was curious if they were going to bring MJ8 up to the same level as MC's audio portion.

zevele10

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2003, 02:16:20 pm »

Doof
To make short : to have a MJ9

I do fell that nothing is decided  right now.
Look like they just do not know yet what they will do after MC9.
I would like very much a MJ9. I will use it and not MC9.
To had pay for Mc and use a cheaper - maybe- MJ,not a problem to me.
I just don't care  about few $$$ if i give them to respectable people.

There is a lot of stuff i do not use in MC ,but this stuff is always on my way when using MC as only a jukebox.

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2003, 02:41:54 pm »

I don't really see the point in a MJ9 now. At first, I thought MC was going to throw alot of stuff at me I didn't want. Much to my surprise, the "look and feel" was just like MJ (and now I like the image handling, movie stuff, and ...well... to summarize, I like everything about it). With a little tweaking, I can make MC look nearly identical to MJ8. One thing that would help is to have the setting selected for View Filter permanent until changed (MC loses it on close). Other tweaks like this can "hide" any differences between MC and MJ (for the rookies, or people that want ONLY a jukebox). With the elimination of the MJ code base, maybe MC's price could stay around $35.

10-27

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2003, 02:47:45 pm »

zevele> Yeah, that's what I mean... Take MC9 the way it is, and rip out all of the video and image stuff (that includes the TiVo and TV stuff as well), and you could have MJ9. It's audio only, but it's got the same feature set as MC9 audio-wise.

zevele10

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2003, 03:01:33 pm »

One thing that would help is to have the setting selected for View Filter permanent until changed (MC loses it on close).
-=-=-=-=-=-=

here we are..
yes i  ,as you ,can make MC look like i would like.
But i have to start again everytime i open it.
And i just HATE it.
The other solution can be to neither close MC. In this case there is a need for MC to behave as your settings are set.
Not to pop up - out of the blue- when you put your cd number 56 in the drive and MC is set to NOT react at it.

First keep in mind i do not flame MC. It is just i do strongly feel that there is a need for MJ9.

$ 35 is still MUCH more than MM and RealOne.
For people like us , who  may do not care about $15 more or less ,it is fine. But others and youngs may not react as we react

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2003, 01:00:08 am »

I also vote for a MJ9...

I use the best tool for the job... Thats why I am here... I firmly believe MJ / MC is the best tool as an audio app... Thats what I want it for...

I run MC9 as MJ still does not have ASIO (why not its the audio side right ??) I do remember a lot of discussion about people 'not being forced to upgrade to MC9' when complaints about pricing etc came up... Thats not really fair when it appears like development to MJ is very quiet with even bugs not being fixed (its a month or so sine I upgraded my MJ8 version but the minimized problems were all still there)... Now I know alot of effort is being made to get MC9 out the door but I am wary of a diection that only allows new users to come into MC at a $40 price point...

I think the crown jewels here is the audio tools... That should be on offer to get people interested with all the MC features and look expect the TIVO / Video stuff... HairStyle etc all could do wonders for the audio control end...  
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

nila

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2003, 08:00:09 am »

I agree that the focus needs to be on audio.

You can manage images now which is great, but if worry about this too much it's going to really distract.
MC cant compete with ACDSee, CompuPic Pro etc as they are designed mainly for images and browsing images and have tools that reflect that including tools to fix the colour of pics quickly, red eye removal tools, etc. etc.

MC's strength is in Audio and as a database for managing the files :)
Keep the focus, keep the force, feel the force within :)
lol.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2003, 08:26:14 am »

I just want to extend my apologies to the guys at JRiver and to the rest of the board for being an unwitting catalyst in the rebirth of this debate.

All I wanted to know was if we could expect the logo in the top-left corner of the web site to change. I swear that was all.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2003, 08:32:09 am »

I just want to extend my apologies to the guys at JRiver and to the rest of the board for being an unwitting catalyst in the rebirth of this debate.

All I wanted to know was if we could expect the logo in the top-left corner of the web site to change. I swear that was all.

Funny!  So now what?  You have the full power of Moderator.  Delete?  Edit?  Lock?  It's a little awesome to think about, isn't it?  You can shape your own world.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2003, 08:45:05 am »

You're right. I do have that power. Sometimes I forget... of course that's what happens when you have a (generally) well behaved group of people.

So what to do? Hijacked threads are very common around here and other boards. I'm sure I've done it on numerous occasions, so I'm hardly one to complain. If the natural flow of conversation means we talk about stuff that, as far as I know, has already been decided upon by the only people that have the power to make that decision (meaning - nobody currently participating in this debate), then who am I to stop them? Nobody's being abusive or anything.

So, I guess I'll take what's behind door number 3... ignore this thread and wait and see what happens to the site. Maybe I'll ask again in another thread. Or maybe I'll just try and not-so-subtly steer this conversation back to its original intent... :P

nila

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2003, 01:16:03 pm »

lol.
Go on Doof, be the diplomat :)

I think this is one of those points that will go on for ages.
The plugin idea would solve what people did or didn't want as they'd paid for exactly the features they wanted but would mean a lot of re-coding work for MC and might not be worth it.

I think time is gonna be the only thing that shapes this one really :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up