INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSD MULTICHANNEL  (Read 2150 times)

mblovati

• Recent member
DSD MULTICHANNEL
« on: January 08, 2021, 03:30:15 am »

I have an old JRiver version, the MC19, which I use with an old MAC, a TEAC 501 DAC and vintage amplifiers such as Electrocompaniet, McIntosh 2105, CROWN DC300 II and a quadraphonic Galactron MK16. All connected to 4 speakers.
The result is very good.
Now I am considering switching to the new JRiver MC 27 version and a new MAC.
I have a huge collection of HD files, 15/20 TB, many of them in multichannel format (2.1, 3.0, 4.0, 5.0, 5.1) flac and mostly DSD.
I tried to set JRiver MC 19 with the multichannel output, however the system stops with an error.
My question is whether it is necessary to connect a multichannel DAC (eg OKTO DAC8PRO), or whether it is possible to use 2 TEAC DACs in parallel to obtain the quadraphonic effect.
Do you have any suggestions for enjoying the DSD quadriphony?
In this regard, is the functionality of JRiver MC 19 and MC 27 the same?
Thanks for your time.
Marco

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: DSD MULTICHANNEL
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 04:28:33 pm »

I have an old JRiver version, the MC19, which I use with an old MAC, a TEAC 501 DAC and vintage amplifiers such as Electrocompaniet, McIntosh 2105, CROWN DC300 II and a quadraphonic Galactron MK16. All connected to 4 speakers.
The result is very good.
Now I am considering switching to the new JRiver MC 27 version and a new MAC.
I have a huge collection of HD files, 15/20 TB, many of them in multichannel format (2.1, 3.0, 4.0, 5.0, 5.1) flac and mostly DSD.
I tried to set JRiver MC 19 with the multichannel output, however the system stops with an error.
My question is whether it is necessary to connect a multichannel DAC (eg OKTO DAC8PRO), or whether it is possible to use 2 TEAC DACs in parallel to obtain the quadraphonic effect.
Do you have any suggestions for enjoying the DSD quadriphony?
In this regard, is the functionality of JRiver MC 19 and MC 27 the same?
Thanks for your time.
Marco
There is no capability of routing the signal to multiple DACS.
The OKTO DAC8PRO looks interesting, does it support multichannel DSD over USB?
With a Mac that is what you'd need to play DSD without MC converting it to PCM first.
I don't think MC19 had DSD support on the Mac. MC27 does however Mac's only support DoP DSD so make sure whatever you are looking at does so as well.

iansr

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2021, 05:25:36 pm »

There is no capability of routing the signal to multiple DACS.
The OKTO DAC8PRO looks interesting, does it support multichannel DSD over USB?
With a Mac that is what you'd need to play DSD without MC converting it to PCM first.
I don't think MC19 had DSD support on the Mac. MC27 does however Mac's only support DoP DSD so make sure whatever you are looking at does so as well.
MC may not have that functionality but my understanding is that Mac’s do have though a facility called Aggregate Device.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2021, 08:20:58 am »

MC may not have that functionality but my understanding is that Mac’s do have though a facility called Aggregate Device.
I've not tried that with MC until now but it does seem to work.

Pretty certain you won't be able to do DSD that way and I'm not sure about how well the tuning of the latency between channels will work but ideally if you have 3 identical USB stereo devices you should be able to do 5+1 PCM cleanly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up