INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote2 for Android - Audio Transcoding Question (and my Answer)  (Read 551 times)

dennismf

• Recent member

Yesterday I configured JRemote2. It is working well but I am puzzled by the Transcoding message that sometimes appears at the bottom right of the Playing Now panel.

Almost all of my library has been encoded as FLAC files. Most are 44.1khz at 16 bit. I have a few that are at higher bit rates, typically 96khz 24 bit.

When played via JRemote2 on my Android phone, most of my FLAC files play with the message "Transcoding 320Kbps MP3" but some do not show the transcoding message. Instead they show something like "96kHz 24-bit FLAC". Some 96kHz show the transcoding message, whereas others play as FLAC files without transcoding.

Most of the 44.11khz FLAC files were encoded in Media Center. The 96khz files were purchased from HDTracks. The only 44.1khz files that play without transcoding appear to be those purchased from HDTracks (I do not have a physical CD). However I do have some HDTracks sourced 96khz FLAC files that play with the transcoding message.

Well I was going to ask for suggestions but I have found the cause. Most of the FLAC files in my library have a blank "File Type" tag. Only some of the FLAC files purchased from HDTracks have File Type set to "flac".

I created a Smart List to identify FLAC files not tagged as flac and I changed the File Type to flac.

JRemote2 now plays these files without transcoding.

Perhaps a future version of the FLAC encoder could default to setting the File Type tag. Or JRemote2 could use an alternate method of identifying the file codec.

Thanks for a great product.

DennisMF

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRemote2 for Android - Audio Transcoding Question (and my Answer)
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 08:44:06 am »

File Type is based on the file extension, what were they tagged as before? It being empty does not seem right.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up