INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Finally upgrading AVR after 15 Years!  (Read 3147 times)

Hilton

• Citizen of the Universe
Finally upgrading AVR after 15 Years!
« on: January 27, 2021, 01:10:04 am »

Hi All

Im finally taking the plunge on an AVR after waiting 15 years (what seems like an eternity) for HDMI, HDR and Sound standards to work themselves out. (Hasnt MC and MadVR been a godsend!)

Im replacing an old reliable and nice sounding Sony STRDA 5200ES that hasnt missed a beat.  I'm now wanting proper 24p passthrough support and 4K60/8K60 with Atmos, DTS:X and TrueHD.

I've been waiting for Denon to do an update to the 8500H for HDMI 2.1 and they've recently released the 110year anniversarry A110 based on 8500H with HDMI 2.1 and some component upgrades.
With the HDMI 2.1 4K120 hardware bug for Xbox X and NVidia RTX3000 on the current HDMI chipsets it looks like fully compliant HDMI 2.1 updates are another year away.

With that said, I probably wont need 4K120 as I mostly PC game these days and can always run another output direct to the display.  It seems even the 8500H HDMI 2.1 update has been delayed to middle of the year at the earliest and most likely middle of next year by the time it arrives in Australia.

With that said.

I was quoted $6600AU for a 8500H and $9500AU for the A110.   Do you think the A110 would be a good buy at that price (RRP is $11400AU)  ??  I dont mind paying a small premium above the 8500 but twice the price is certainly out of the question, even if you take out the $1500 to $2000AU for the HDMI 2.1 upgrade, is the anniversary edition worth $1500 to $2000???  I think so but just want to sanity check.

As you can tell I keep some equipment for a long time so this is a big decision, but I feel I've waited long enough!!

wer

Re: Finally upgrading AVR after 15 Years!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 01:42:36 am »

Hi Hilton,

You don't mention what speakers you have, but I'll take a guess that, considering what you're willing to spend on an AVR, you have something of good quality.

So, with that assumption, I wouldn't recommend you go this way.  You would be much better off going with separates: power amplifiers well-matched to your speakers, and then a processor or pre-amp to harness everything.

AVRs and processors eventually go out of date. By separating the amps out, you'll not only have better quality sound, but you'll be able to swap out the brains in the future without replacing the amps. Great amplification can last a lifetime.

Not only will the AVR go out of date, but the amplification in expensive AVRs is always a let-down compared to a good power amp.

But it depends what speakers you're driving, and if after all you just have little easy to drive bookshelfs or mini-sats, then maybe better quality amplifiers would be wasted.

Hilton

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 02:12:32 am »

Thanks Wer

Yes ive considered separates, but I read about alot of issues with them with the newest features and most of the manufacturers ive seen for separates are still promising features and fixes in firmware that are already available in the Denon.  (and they've been promising for a long time) Emotiva, Monoprice, Anthem... Who else is there?   Also I've seen plenty of people going from an Anthem to the Denon 8500h with no regrets, and some of them just replacing the two mains with a couple mono blocks. (which I will also consider once I get some real experience with whatever I buy - probably a pair of Hypex Purifi 1ET400A mono blocks)

My speakers are high end Sony ES speakers from 15 years ago. (like the B&W 800 series) Not very common or well known, but very clean and accurate, without being clinical. (double walled and curved speaker cabinets - ie dense, neutral, clean)  I love them and I have 3 matching pairs Front, side, rear and a matching centre speaker (that I've converted to a custom wall cavity mount) with 2 x 10" Velodyne subs with custom 450W RMS class A/B rack mount amps.

No intention of changing them.. and I have another 5 matching Sony ES bookshelf speakers I plan on mounting for Atmos surrounds.

Im certainly open to being talked around to separates but who is currently shipping HDMI 2.1 with full Atmos, Auro 3D and HDR bugs sorted? Im all ears??!?!?!

Internal Construction Sony SS-X70ED
SS-x70ED - structure by Hilton, on Flickr

20210127_192449 by Hilton, on Flickr

Sony SS-T70ES
20210127_192329 by Hilton, on Flickr

Modified Centre Speaker

In-wall speaker conversion by Hilton, on Flickr

In-wall speaker build by Hilton, on Flickr

In-wall speaker finished! by Hilton, on Flickr

In-wall speaker finished! by Hilton, on Flickr

In-wall speaker position check by Hilton, on Flickr

20210127_203725 by Hilton, on Flickr

wer

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 04:04:38 am »

Who else is there?

Well, you've left out the better ones: Onkyo, Rotel, NAD, McIntosh, Yamaha, and Marantz (which is Denon).

I'm not aware of anyone with a shipping HDMI 2.1 product that works.  The NAD processors are modular and upgradable, so a new module will eventually be available with 2.1.  McIntosh is a bit slower, so don't know when they'll have 2.1.

But does that matter? You sound like you're committed to HDMI 2.1, but you acknowledge yourself that for it to actually work might be a year away.  You seem to say you don't need 120Hz.  And unless you have a wall-sized projection screen, 8K is absurd.  On any emissive display you won't sit close enough to see it.  So if you don't need 8K or 120Hz, why wait for HDMI 2.1 to be sorted? And keep in mind, when worrying about sound formats, if you're not replacing your speakers, you're downmixing anyway since you don't have enough speakers.

And speaking of speakers, yours are rated 4 ohms. Which is not at all the sweet spot for the middling amps in AVRs. I can't find much detail on them, so I doubt they're as hard to drive as B&W 800s, but it's worth considering. I have B&Ws so I'm acquainted with hard to drive speakers. :)

So all I'm saying is: if you run a projector and want 8K, or want 120Hz for gaming, then I would say wait for HDMI 2.1 to be fixed before buying anything. And if you don't need that, don't worry about HDMI 2.1, and then you have lots of alternatives in separates right now from the brands I listed above.  Either way, I think you'd be better served than by buying that receiver now.  Just like the processing electronics are a moving target now, they still will be in 3 years, and 5, etc. That's why I'd recommend separates.

I'm not trying to talk you into to anything.  Just food for thought.

Hilton

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 05:22:54 am »

Thanks - I thought Onkyo are cheap garbage now days. They are a manufacturer looking to be bought and barely hanging in there.  I did like their separates from a few years ago though. As you say none of the others have anything to offer. (yet)

I do have a 120" screen that Im possibly upgrading to 130" and do want 8K capability even if I dont need it now. Marantz is just an expensive Denon with worse specs. (measurement wise - checkout the reviews on ASR forum and the 8500H is just about the top performing AVR in SINAD and power output)

Thanks I really do appreciate the alternative perspective!

Yeah the speakers are a little harder to drive than some. But that's the joy of good speakers with a well matched AMP.  Better AMP damping factor and high current AMP definitely required for these speakers. (>400 @ 4ohms)

If you're wondering why I would hang onto 15+ year old speakers... The reason I like them so much is they are very smooth, yet still articulate, fast and weighty without being boomy.

Here's my in room measured response with a few small corrections in MC for a couple room peaks. (with the Subs blended in)  Virtually flat from 30hz to 1K and then a gentle fall from 1Khz to about -10db @20khz

1-24th-smoothing by Hilton, on Flickr

And pretty good group delay. Really well matched and time aligned drivers that go well with my Subs.  BI Amped they sound even better.

group delay by Hilton, on Flickr

The Denon is a remarkable piece of kit for an AVR - outdoing some high-end separates.
With those specs and my speakers sensitivity of 89db sitting at 3M it's going to be way more power than I need.

PreAmp performance - amazing processor and DAC performance for an AVR
8500h sinad by Hilton, on Flickr

AMP SINAD S/N @ 5 W  (Specs only get better at higher output levels which is why he measures at 5W and this was with one under performing channel otherwise would have been 88db)
Certainly I'd expect the anniversarry A110 to do better than this with the few upgraded components)
8500H SINAD 5W by Hilton, on Flickr

225W into 4ohms 2 channels (256W @ 1% distortion and 324W peak power)
8500H 4ohm Power by Hilton, on Flickr

131W @1% 5 channels driven
8500 1pct dist 5channel power by Hilton, on Flickr

So Im still definitely attracted to the unit if not for anything else but the processing, features and maturity of the product and I'm happy to add a couple mono-blocks if I feel I need to but I really cant see me needing them for anything other than epeen. :)

I believe I'd have to spend quite a bit more in the other high end separates brands to do better and would it be audible? Im doubtful. ;)  Sounds like I've convinced myself.. now its just a matter of if the A110 is worth a couple grand more for a few specially hand selected components.

rec head

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 06:23:21 am »

I have the Monoprice HTP-1 and it is great. The Monolith team seems the most responsive to new bugs and features. They are somewhat active on AVS. I am alpha testing FW due to a bug and have talked directly to a developer on nights and weekends. After the latest call they had a new alpha out that night and the bug seems fixed. There is also a custom user made UI is great.

The unit will possibly be user upgradeable to HDMI 2.1.

Hilton

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 09:37:02 am »

Is anyone here setup for Auro3D 7.2.6 and DTS:X Pro 7.2.6 + Atmos 7.2.6 ?  Any feedback on what sounds better?

Looks like the newer Denon Amps including the A110 support all sound formats with only 2 configurations. (a variation in the top speaker from centre top + center front height to Atmos with L/R Top.)

Interesting that DTS has adopted the Auro3D layout.

With my current 7.2 speakers and 5 bookshelf speakers (from my first 5.1 setup in 1998) I would only have to buy 3 top speakers for L/C/R height positions (top middle/centre height)
I think the DTS:X Pro / Auro 3D setup probably works better for narrower rooms for people outside of the sweetspot. (sitting on the side or at the back of the room)

speaker layouts by Hilton, on Flickr

wer

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2021, 03:05:11 pm »

Believe me, I understand about hanging on to old speakers. Back in the day I had a set of dbx monitors that I kept for 20 years.  Same kind of experience with them as you're describing with your Sonys.

Well, I wasn't going to give characterizations of particular brands, but since you brought it up... No, I wouldn't recommend Onkyo; I threw them in there in the interests of completeness (they only have one processor model).

So if you're interested in characterizations from someone who's extensively listened to some of those, I'll speak just of higher-end processors, not AVRs with amps: Marantz sounds pretty much the same as Denon. NAD sounds better. I don't have enough time with Rotel to say. Yamaha and McIntosh also sound better than Denon.  If you're strictly about movies, Denon is fine. For movies plus music, I would take the Yamaha or McIntosh any day.

I'm very familiar with the ASR site; I like it a lot.  But it has its limitations. One is that measurements, while important necessary and helpful, don't always tell the whole story. Sometimes things that measure worse can sound better. Amplifier designers and speaker designers will tell you that.  Another is that with the exception of DACs, headphone amps, and a few AVRs, the equipment he reviews can most charitably be described as mid-range, because he's mostly measuring what people send him. He doesn't really review high-end processors, and he doesn't review serious amps or speakers. About the only serious amp he has measured is the Benchmark AHB2.  So although the reviews there are very valuable, that site gives a very skewed perspective on certain product types.

Another important limitation is that he measured the DAC performance of the Denon with the amps turned off, because DAC performance was much worse with the amps on. You noticed that, right? How will you be using yours? 

Amp performance of the Denon you referred to is not really good, except by lower standards.  It's measured and spec'd with two channels driven, as are most AVRs, because their power and performance drop as you add channels. That's not good design.  You'll be driving more than two channels, won't you?

So just to consider other amplification factors for a moment... You said your speakers improved when bi-amped. That implies they need good amplification. You mentioned yourself said they required high current and high damping factor.  The amps in those AVRs are low-current amps. Also, a damping factor of 400 is good but not exceptional, but will you get even that in the AVR?  Damping is a complicated subject, and some say its importance as a spec is overrated. But current is definitely very important. I'm talking about current available for transient peaks, not an averaged measurement for continuous drive into a load. Those Sony speakers are copies of what B&W was doing at the time; they might even have a funny impedance curve too, even with the lesser bass response and only 1 LF transducer.  So if granted they need good high-current amplification with a high damping factor, you're not going to find that in an AVR.  Since you know the ASR site, compare what he says about the Denon to his measurements of the Benchmark AHB2.

If you want truly high-current amplification with a high damping factor, with great bang for the buck, look at Parasound or Benchmark. Benchmark only makes one amp, but Parasound has a full range, including 5 channel amps that are so far beyond what you'll get in AVR amps that they're not even comparable. And if you want monoblocks someday, they also make the Halo JC1/JC1+, although that might be overkill for you.

Since you want the 8K for your screen, maybe something to consider is to get better amplification now, to unshackle your speakers, and then get the new processor in a while when the HDMI situation as been resolved. It would be a shame to spend a lot of money on a processor to find out later there's no free fix because it requires the whole board to be replaced. And even if they did offer a free replacement, there's still the hassle of shipping the AVR back. They're big, heavy, and you'd have to keep the box.

But yeah, it does sound like you've convinced yourself.  Good luck.

Hilton

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2021, 04:18:33 am »

With the Denon you can turn individual channels off, all off individually , or use a preamp mode which also turns them all off in one go, but that is definitely not recommended as that preamp mode is bugged. That's when he measured the worst performance. If you read the whole thread and a couple others there you'll see if you disable individual AMP channels the Preamp measured specs stay very high at 103db. It's a bug or limitation in the firmware.

Agree regarding measurments vs hearing are two different things and agree some things definitely sound better than they measure.

There arent many reasonably priced multi-channel AMPs out there anymore that can deliver Class A/B rated power into 4 ohms all channels driven. The power supplies need to be unmanagably large and heavy for that.
The new Hypex Purifi 1ET400A Class D Amp can be found in mono block and up to 3 or 4 channel that would be nice. They are among the best benchmarks for modern AMP designs now. (even in comparing Class A/B to Class D)
The Benchmark AHB2 is certainly an impressive AMP but entirely in a different category.

So I have definitely considered this path a few times.  Just grabbing a bunch of 3 and 4 channel Amps would be heaven, but the space, heat and power for what, the 1 time a year I get to let loose for 20 mins without losing my hearing or pissing off the neighbours?  You get the point. It's great in theory but the diminishing returns stack up pretty quickly and one reason I've turned to headphone audio gear. I know it's not the same as a well tuned tight system cranked to 13. But it's a hell of a lot cheaper for amazing quality for modest investments.

That's one of the reason I keep delaying upgrading anything in my system.  It's already quite good..  Im even having a hard time justifying $10k on a AVR after 15 years when there was a time I upgraded some of my gear every 2 or 3 years.  I still drive an 11 year old car with just on 100K on the clock, I want a Jag F-Type and can afford one but just cant justify it...  Damn the rational side of me!!! LOL

I also want a new shiny $10k 4K JVC projector but I know the picture is still going to be 120" inches and look just as sharp, just as dull as my 8 year old DLP projector in HDR. (which having said that still looks amazing with MadVR tonemapping)

Damping factor is pretty important as it determines how much control your AMP has over the physics of the driver as you smash it out of the enclosure. (loose/muddy vs tight/punchy) Fortunately any high current AMP into 4 ohms usually has this sorted.  >250 @ 4ohms is pretty decent  >400 @4ohms is way better than average considering that's >800 at 8ohms.

Thanks for the chat and input I've enjoyed it!  And I still haven't really decided.... more naval gazing required. :)

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2021, 04:54:23 am »

Yeah.... I'm also pondering at what point to upgrade to an all HDMI 2.1 setup on my 7.2.4 HT.  I'm also doing the madVR HDR tone mapping thing to avoid issues with UHD 10Bit 4:4:4 exciding the 2.0 bandwidth limit.  I've gone semi-separate (AVR + Amp for L/F/C)

So far I'm pretty happy with:
- AVR: Yami 3090 driving all the surrounds, and feeding the L/R/C signal to a
- Axiom Amp - https://www.axiomaudio.com/amplifiers
- JVC x7500
- 320cm (125") screen

The thing I like about the Axiom, is you can order it in the # of Channels & power output you need to pair with an AVR.  The thing I HATE about separates is the pre-amp costs as much or more than the top line AVR from the same MFR.  Sure you can keep the 11ch amp and just swap the pre-amp pro but when it costs more than the AVR why bother..... just sell the old AVR.
JRiver CEO Elect

Hilton

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2021, 05:10:33 am »

Who's design is the Axiom Class D based on? I like their philosophy of a big Analog PSU.

Decent pricing too.

Parasound A52+ 5ch or A31 3ch is pretty tempting too.  Matched with a Denon 6700H that's a pretty good combo for around $11k.

BI Amp the L/R with A52+ and a single ch for C.

Nothing is really ready for HDMI 2.1 prime time yet but Im so sick of waiting!

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2021, 08:02:04 pm »

No Idea on what design the Axiom Amps is based on, but if you drop them a line or give them a call they will expand on it (their pre and post sales services is excellent).  I like dealing with them as a MFR as they will make whatever is required.  I'm using 3 x of their M80's for L/C/R but the Centre had to be recessed into a cavity with only so much depth.  So they made one to my specs.  These are the speakers I'm driving with their Amp.

...and as you are nearby, let me know if you want to come over and check it out.

JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2021, 08:22:59 pm »

...and a side note, I need to say "thanks"!

I just noticed in taking that photo my Axiom Amp and 2 x Subs were powered on even though my Yami AVR was off (and it triggers the power to the Amp and Subs).  Turns out (at some point) Zones 2 / 3 / 4 on the Yami was switched to ON (I don't use these zones) so was keeping the Amp and Subs live.  That would not have helped the power bill.... and I've no idea how long it has been like this :(
JRiver CEO Elect

Hilton

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2021, 04:49:39 am »

No Idea on what design the Axiom Amps is based on, but if you drop them a line or give them a call they will expand on it (their pre and post sales services is excellent).  I like dealing with them as a MFR as they will make whatever is required.  I'm using 3 x of their M80's for L/C/R but the Centre had to be recessed into a cavity with only so much depth.  So they made one to my specs.  These are the speakers I'm driving with their Amp.

...and as you are nearby, let me know if you want to come over and check it out.

Thanks I might just do that and come have a look!
Sorry to hear about your zone triggers.. I only use the main outputs on my AMP and a load sensing powerboard to power my Sub Amps.

You've given me an idea though to finally dump the logitech Z906 on my desktop.  Im going to see if the A/B speaker switch on my Sony AVR will still output subwoofer on speaker B and if so run some cables to my desktop speakers. 
When the new AMP arrives I probably just use the Sony for the desktop anyway.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2021, 05:30:59 am »

My AVR (Yami) lets you set a trigger on a bunch of conditions.  It was (is) set to any Zone.  Anyway - any easy fix, and is now fine.  Happy to have you over for a look/listen... oddly, I'm at home most days! :)  Send me a PM and we will sort out a date/time.
JRiver CEO Elect

Hilton

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2021, 05:37:04 am »

Hmmm it does indeed output sub signal with speaker B selected!

Wish I'd known this years ago! LOL

I can just use one of the 3 speaker calibration memories for the desktop to get the Subs to the right level for the desktop speakers and the main system.
Pages: [1]   Go Up