INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Media Center Colour vs VLC Colour  (Read 2513 times)

estebandido250

JRiver Media Center Colour vs VLC Colour
« on: February 02, 2021, 01:56:55 pm »

VLC 3.0.12 manage better the colours than JRiver Media Center 26.0.107

how can i correct JRiver Configuration?

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRiver Media Center Colour vs VLC Colour
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 02:41:59 pm »

Welcome to the forums.

I don't see "better" colors in your pictures. I see different colors.  Evidently you prefer the more saturated colors that VLC is showing.

VLC uses its own internal filters to render. I don't know what it's doing, or how you may have configured it.

I tested on my system, and by default, VLC produces exactly the same colors as MC does (in both MC video modes) for SDR content (HDR content is a whole different thing).  So I suspect you have something tweaked differently. In VLC, check Tools->Effects & Filters->Video Effects.   

Another thing to consider is if you are outputting to a TV, and MC is changing the video mode to a different frame rate (like 23.976fps for movies) which MC is probably not, then your TV will detect that, and might apply different processing. In this scenario, if you played from both programs at the same resolution and framerate, your TV could not tell the difference and the color processing it applied would be the same.

With MC, you have two ways to adjust color more to your liking:

1. If you are using Red October Standard as your Video Mode in Options->Video, then you can right-click on a video during playback, and select "Color Controls" from the right-click menu to play with the settings.  Whether this works or not supposedly depends on the default video renderer on your system. These controls do not work for me.  If it doesn't work, see option 2:

2. If you are using Red October HQ as your video mode, this invokes the MadVR video renderer, and you can learn how to use the MadVR color controls:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1709584
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/MadVR_Expert_Guide

Have fun...

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 07:35:28 pm »

I have noticed that mp4 video that I play through VLC, Windows media player, and plex through the same equipment all are more saturated than Media Center using madVR.  In this case, VLC, Windows MP, and Plex are all consistent in how they look, with MC being different.  I am not sure which I would consider "correct" since there are so many factors that can affect this.

Hardly scientific, but something I have noticed as well.

Note that you can tweak madVR if you are using that to add saturation and largely match what the other players are displaying.

Will try RO standard and see if it produces similar to the other players
TV: LG OLED C1 83"
3D: LG OLED C6 65" (two) - madVR MVC->SBS
3D: Valve Index (using Media Center+MadVR) + Virtual Home Theater (Steam)
HTPC: Core i7, Win11, nVidia 3090RTX
Storage: 500TB Snapraid via SMB to Ubuntu 18 LTS server
Audio: exaSound e68 Multichannel USB DAC, Sonus Faber Speakers, REL Subx2
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp
Cables: Shotgun Interconnects, AudioQuest Cinnamon 48GB HDMI cables

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 09:59:38 pm »

lol ... proper way to do it is to decide what player to use ... then using that player to output test patterns and calibrate the screen ... other than that is just a guess work

and ppl do prefer overly saturated colors ... describing them as "vivid" ... one of the reasons TV in showroom run demo with over saturated colors to attract customers

EDIT:

here is HDR version of that movie with VLC and MadVR set at 480nits

EDIT2:

are you playing HDR movie on non HDR TV? ... that might explain you washed out colors in MC if you using RO HQ with improper HDR settings
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2021, 11:08:09 pm »

Here is HDR video with no tone mapping ... which looks like what you have

So you probably did not set up your HDR properly in MadVR

Again, is your TV HDR capable?
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2021, 09:48:02 am »

not sure what movie his images are from.

my comment was that non-HDR video without any special settings in madVR looks different than the other video players which all look consistent in terms of color saturation. not sure what is different.

now that @wer clued me in to the "trick" for the OLED and the "PC" input icon setting, i will have to spend some time calibrating things.  there goes the weekend :)

Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2021, 10:22:24 am »

Its Ad Atra movie with brad pitt

I dont have SD version on this film ... so posted screenshot from UHD, which as mention before in here heavily depends on tone mapping algorithm

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2021, 07:18:43 am »

@tij - do you find that when you watch HDR and then subsequently watch non-HDR content that when the video starts for the non-HDR content it seems to apply "HDR" to the video?  While the TV is no longer in "HDR" mode, the colors are completely off.  Only way for me to fix it is to shut down media center and restart.

If I do this in MCs default view, between videos the colors look fine while browsing my videos; HDR disengages.  If I then start a non-HDR video, while HDR does not re-engage, the colors are a mess.

If I do this in Theater View, between videos the colors are a mess; HDR disengages, and if I then start a non-HDR video, same issue.

Almost as if something is "stuck" when exiting an HDR video that can't unstick unless I restart MC.

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2021, 04:16:46 pm »

It looks like the HDR issue is related to nVidia drivers (per comment here: https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=176013; look for nVidia driver 442.92)

I seem to have found a work-around to it by doing a few things:

1: Set MC Display Mode Automatic Change Mode Setting to "None"
2: Configured madVR with all the allowable display modes for my display, e.g. 1080p60,2160p23,1080p23, etc....
3: Configured madVR - Enabled "switch to matching display mode. when media player goes fullscreen ; restore original display mode..when media player leaves fullscreen"

Seems playing mix of HDR/non-HDR content now enables/disengages HDR properly with latest nVidia drivers, and my desktop restores back to 2160p60 when stopping playback.

I haven't tried 3D yet.  I expect to be disappointed ;)

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2021, 02:52:17 am »

@tij - do you find that when you watch HDR and then subsequently watch non-HDR content that when the video starts for the non-HDR content it seems to apply "HDR" to the video?  While the TV is no longer in "HDR" mode, the colors are completely off.  Only way for me to fix it is to shut down media center and restart.

If I do this in MCs default view, between videos the colors look fine while browsing my videos; HDR disengages.  If I then start a non-HDR video, while HDR does not re-engage, the colors are a mess.

If I do this in Theater View, between videos the colors are a mess; HDR disengages, and if I then start a non-HDR video, same issue.

Almost as if something is "stuck" when exiting an HDR video that can't unstick unless I restart MC.

I dont trigger HDR on TV, just use MadVR tone mapping ... so did not notice this propblem

But tested it for curiosity ... and yes, Nvidia HDR switching is off ... can get stuck after HDR movie stop playing ... 3D top/bottom still works ... thats on 456.71 ... will see if 461.50 fix this later

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2021, 11:36:39 am »

posted the "fix" in this thread that is working for me.

3D seems to work fine (though I use top/bottom now) as well.

Pages: [1]   Go Up