INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW: Share  (Read 6743 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
NEW: Share
« on: February 11, 2021, 07:58:19 am »

Description
Media Center 27.0.66 adds the ability to share a file to a friend from your library, over your network or the Internet, by sending a link via text or email..

Files will be shared using a secret encryption key so there is no way to guess what a URL will be. 

Instructions
To share a file, right-click the file and pick Library Tools > Share.  You can also add a Share toolbar button to the top or bottom toolbar by right clicking on it.

You will be given an option of whether to place the local or internet URL on the clipboard. 

Media Network must be checked in MC's settings and your outside address at the port Media Center is running Media Network on will need to be reachable.  Set up port forwarding for port 52199 on your router.  Forward inbound access to your computer's IP address.

A field "Shared" will be checked for the shared files.  If you uncheck the field, it will no longer be accessible.

If you want to invalidate all your shares, you can choose Options > Media Network > Advanced > Reset sharing key (makes all shares invalid)...

Thanks to jmone for the idea:  https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,127986.0.html
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: NEW: Share
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 08:04:22 am »

I'm so tempted to call this feature "Cher".

Playback depends on the browser.   

At this time, the only video that works is MP4.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 02:36:44 pm »

This is a great feature!  It lets you know directly share an item in MC to others without have it "upload it somewhere".  Here is a couple of ways I'll be using it:
- Home Video:  I want to share a home video of a family get together.  Now I can just import it into MC as usual, but instead of making a copy and putting it on some other site as well (Youtube, Nextcloud, DropBox etc), you can now just hit "share" and send the link to those that you want to see the video.  When they click on the link it will be directly streamed from MC Server to their browder where they can watch it (or even download it).  Nice and easy + your content stays safe and under your control

- Log Files:  Ever had the JR crew ask for a MC log file to be uploaded somewhere?  Now you can just import it into MC and hit the "Share" button to get a URL that you can send them.  Once they have it you can simply delete the entry in MC.

From what I've seen in my testing so far
- General:  If your Browser or end end device can play the file being streamed you will get playback in the device.  If it can not be played, it will be automatically downloaded
- General:  You may want to keep in mind that for buffering free MP4 playback, it will be dependant on your Upload Bandwidth from MC to the Internet, and the end user's Download Speed.
- Audio:  All my various file types seemed to play just fine
- Pictures:  same as above (but I really on have JPG / PNG etc).
- Video:  MP4's seem to play well, but other file types that can not be played directly in a Browser and will be Automatically Downloaded at the client end.
JRiver CEO Elect

lightsout

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 03:36:41 pm »

Wow this is a fantastic feature. I have often wanted to do this very thing, like the poster above without the fuss of an extra service.

The only thing I don't love is my ip address is exposed. Would be nice if it was somehow obfuscated. But I will only be dealing with trusted people
so that shouldn't be a big deal.

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 05:15:49 pm »

would be great if it created a URL similar to what Panel uses when accessing particles referencing MPLS files

Those will play in a browser without downloading.

TV: LG OLED C1 83"
3D: LG OLED C6 65" (two) - madVR MVC->SBS
3D: Valve Index (using Media Center+MadVR) + Virtual Home Theater (Steam)
HTPC: Core i7, Win11, nVidia 3090RTX
Storage: 500TB Snapraid via SMB to Ubuntu 18 LTS server
Audio: exaSound e68 Multichannel USB DAC, Sonus Faber Speakers, REL Subx2
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp
Cables: Shotgun Interconnects, AudioQuest Cinnamon 48GB HDMI cables

Cinelder

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 06:51:25 pm »

A field "Shared" will be checked for the shared files.  If you uncheck the field, it will no longer be accessible.
If you want to invalidate all your shares, you can choose Options > Media Network > Advanced > Reset sharing key (makes all shares invalid)...

Love the new feature.  Sorry for the wide-eyed question, but after I select a file for sharing and select whether I want a local or internet key,  I can't find a new field by that name in the tags to check or uncheck.  There's no entry between "Series ID" and "Show Work Movement"  Where should I be looking?

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2021, 06:52:38 pm »

That field may not be in that version, but you can still share the file with the link that is copied to your clipboard.

Cinelder

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2021, 06:56:58 pm »

That field may not be in that version, but you can still share the file with the link that is copied to your clipboard.

Many thanks for the very speedy response!  I'm using 27.0.66 (64-bit).  Looks like for now, the only way to unshare a shared file is to use the global reset function (Options > Media Network > Advanced > Reset sharing key).

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2021, 07:04:29 pm »

I think that's right.

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2021, 09:16:52 am »

Perhaps this deserves to be a separate feature request, but I would find it more useful to be able share library items from Panel/JRemote. (Ability to create shareable links to stream media files).

And/Or the ability inside MC to create "Panel links" in the share dialog that generates the same kind of link as requested above.

Noman

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2021, 01:24:22 am »

Great feature.
When I tried to use the shared internet link on my Phone it downloads the file naming it "Get" without file extention?
Renaming it manually makes it playable but no Tags.
Is it me or is this how it works?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2021, 06:42:48 am »

Great feature.
When I tried to use the shared internet link on my Phone it downloads the file naming it "Get" without file extention?
Renaming it manually makes it playable but no Tags.
Is it me or is this how it works?
The command currently only works in MC.

Noman

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2021, 08:00:13 am »

I share the file in MC on PC
I send the link.
I click on the link either on a PC (With MC installed) or a phone.
It plays in a browser
If I select download it downloads 1 file named get (or sometimes depending on browser "get.file extention".
If I share an album it only plays or downloads the first file

If I have MC installed in the receiving computer how do I play or download the file inside MC if that is what you mean?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2021, 09:06:14 am »

You need the latest build of MC27 from this board.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2021, 09:07:50 am »

Try File > Open URL.  But the latest build should work.

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
  • "I picked a helluva day to install MC!"
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2021, 02:13:05 pm »

Server (on IdNUC) set to Share in Media Network, but Client (on Win10 PC) is not. Hoping to use MC Client to share, but when I try returns "Please enable Media Network to allow sharing."

I assume I need to enable on the Client? I've read the "client-client model" thread (https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,121116.msg837227.html#msg837227), but I'm just not smart enough to get it. If I turn on sharing on my Win10 Client, do I add complexity to my setup now?

I'm an audio-only user. IdNUC server, NAS, Win10 Client (+ JRemote, Panel, etc., 'round the world).

daveman

• Galactic Citizen
  • I am still a baby user of JRiver :)
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2021, 07:06:33 pm »

When I try thjis i keep on getting time out errors

The connection has timed out
The server at xxxx is taking too long to respond.

All the settings are correct ...

not sure what is happening.

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2021, 02:42:06 pm »

"Please enable Media Network to allow sharing." is what I get when trying to share from my Win10 client.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2021, 02:49:45 pm »

Media Network must be turned on. 

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2021, 02:57:49 pm »

It is on the Server.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2021, 09:18:53 am »

Media sharing can only work on the server (ie, the server is the one serving the files).

This could however be a new feature: manage shared files using a client (it would still be the server doing the sharing, but you could share/unshare using a client). This however is not yet possible.

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2021, 10:35:14 am »

Thanks zybex. Yeah, launching the remote access to my Id to share a song is a lot different from using the Win10 client (where I do all my music cultivating, grooming, and weeding).

Can I add this functionality (share from a client) to the feature wishlist?

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2021, 12:29:30 pm »

Hey, wishing is still free  ;D

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2021, 09:55:40 am »

Not sure if feedback on the sharing feature should still go here as its an older thread. Im still on mc 27. I really like the idea.

Sharing a file defaults to port 52199 even though i enabled TLS and I am using port 52200. 51199 may still work (I havent actually tested that) but I only forward 52200 from the outside.

Maybe its an idea to default to 52200 if SSL is enabled in options?

Mistaj

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2021, 09:47:21 pm »

Can you share via JRemote or panel. If not will this be an enhancement for 28?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2021, 07:30:07 am »

Not yet and I'm not sure whether we'll do that.   Share generates a URL that you can send to someone.  Doing that on a remote would be awkward.

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2021, 12:07:34 pm »

Resurrecting this thread... can someone who has used the Share feature describe how they do it? I run MC on a JRiver Id, and would like to share from my Win10 desktop client. Can't get it to work.

Who's using the Share function?
Pages: [1]   Go Up