INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Roon refugee - set up a server/client solution in JRiver?  (Read 2586 times)

Ringo

Roon refugee - set up a server/client solution in JRiver?
« on: February 12, 2021, 11:23:42 am »

Hello all,

I've been a Roon user, and to be blunt, Roon done effed up with their 1.8 update! They've removed track tags, which means that the playlist(s) a particular track has been added to is not shown as it was previously. Anywhere. There are other issues too, and it's enough of a detriment to how I use Roon, in addition to their overall trajectory of seemingly dumbing down the interface and emphasizing streaming at the expense of self-curation - well, to make a long story short, I'm taking a hard look at alternatives.

I've been perusing JRiver's options, and there's a dizzying array - great! I like to be in full control of my media. Roon is fading that. I'm wondering if anyone would be kind enough to comment on what I'd like to do in JRiver to see if it's possible, please. It looks like it might be, based on the JRiver website and the Media network section in the Wiki, but can someone confirm?

1. I'd like to have all my music on a central Windows 10 media server.
2. I'd like to use the Raspberry Pi I'm currently using as Roon endpoints as JRiver client/endpoints - using Volumio or whatever Pi OS/software will work
3. I'd like to use a tablet or phone as a remote to control the music going from the server to the endpoints.

That's basically it. Is this possible? I'm experienced in this sort of thing so I'm not afraid of some DIY or advanced configuration. I also could possibly be convinced to get different devices or do a slightly different setup than the one proposed above if I can achieve the same end result.

Thanks!

mattlovell

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Roon refugee - set up a server/client solution in JRiver?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 12:30:14 pm »

Hello,

1. I'd like to have all my music on a central Windows 10 media server.
2. I'd like to use the Raspberry Pi I'm currently using as Roon endpoints as JRiver client/endpoints - using Volumio or whatever Pi OS/software will work
3. I'd like to use a tablet or phone as a remote to control the music going from the server to the endpoints.

My JRiver setup and use model are as follows:

• All music files are on my Win10 machine that resides in the study.
  • It is connected, via a nice long ethernet cable and some non-managed switches, to an Odroid C4 in the living room that is running Kodi.  A Raspberry Pi would work just as well.  (There are numerous choices for RPi regarding what software to run; nearly anything that will act as a DLNA Renderer will do fine.)
  • I routinely use an iPad running JRemote to control playback.  You could also use MC's own Panel web page.  (There are certainly other apps (for iOS or Android) that can act as a DLNA Controller, but I've found JRemote the best for my particular library.)

The music files are also available on the home network as a read-only Samba share, but I usually use the DLNA route.

Hope that helps!

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2021, 12:58:20 pm »

To add on, it's also worth noting that JRiver runs natively on a Raspberry Pi as well, so you could run JRiver on the Win10 server, and run a client instance of JRiver on the Pi, and control either or both via phone apps (JRemote, Gizmo) or web pages (Panel). 

Wheaten

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2021, 01:25:43 pm »

Using the same setup as you want, with JRiver, which works perfect.
I've tried Roon too but cancelled the trial after 4 days. I can't figure out why people are willing to pay 9,99 p/m for it. Which I believe is out of proportion for just some software. Yes it looks polished but with a crappy remote app.
The only advantage I found was the native integration for Tidal and Qobuz.

As mwillems mentioned.
  • Run the library server on you windows 10 machine.
  • Install JRiver on every pi client you have and use the win 10 library.
  • use JRemote (IOS/Android) or Gizmo (Android) as remote
  • If you want to use Tidal and/or Qobuz you can use JRiver's WDM driver. If you run the library server headless, use mconnect (IOS/Android)

Ringo

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 02:46:06 pm »

Thank you all! Very insightful! It does appear that JRiver would be able to work in the manner I want it to. This might turn into my weekend project. @ Wheaten regarding Roon, it really is quite nice but in a most basic sense it is just really Volumio or other DNLA server with allmusic.com's content glued on. It sounds like a JRiver setup, with a tablet with the jriver remote app and allmusic open in a web browser would be "close enough".

I just went through this with Plex and now Roon, where they think they know better than the users how their app should be used, and remove features and and alienate longtime users who helped them get a foothold, and force people to all use it the same vanilla type of way, rather than keeping a versatile, configurable platform that can be used in a variety of ways to suit every user. I don't understand it.

muslhead

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2023, 05:58:39 pm »

To add on, it's also worth noting that JRiver runs natively on a Raspberry Pi as well, so you could run JRiver on the Win10 server, and run a client instance of JRiver on the Pi, and control either or both via phone apps (JRemote, Gizmo) or web pages (Panel).
Assuming i do your recommendation above, will album art be displayed via the pi display?
Have been trying to find a way to make this happen so hoping your post is my answer
Thanks in advance

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2023, 09:16:44 pm »

Assuming i do your recommendation above, will album art be displayed via the pi display?
Have been trying to find a way to make this happen so hoping your post is my answer
Thanks in advance

You'll need to clarify what display you mean, the pi doesn't ship with a display.  But whatever display it is, if the display can show the JRiver window, it can show cover art (e.g. by switching to cover art or display view.  JRiver offers a 30 day free trial, I'd suggest trying it before you buy to see if it does what you want.

muslhead

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2023, 08:43:08 am »

You'll need to clarify what display you mean, the pi doesn't ship with a display.  But whatever display it is, if the display can show the JRiver window, it can show cover art (e.g. by switching to cover art or display view.  JRiver offers a 30 day free trial, I'd suggest trying it before you buy to see if it does what you want.
No, the pi does not ship with a display but i purchased one and have it hooked up to the pi. It works fine with roon but i am not able to see anything when using jriver. Was trying to isolate whether its because of the software i am using (ropieee) or if its just a configuration or if its jriver.
Not pointing fingers just trying to find a solution to displaying cover art on the pi display.
FYI - I am a paid owner of the software and have been since '15.
Thanks for your quick response

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2023, 08:46:15 am »

No, the pi does not ship with a display but i purchased one and have it hooked up to the pi. It works fine with roon but i am not able to see anything when using jriver. Was trying to isolate whether its because of the software i am using (ropieee) or if its just a configuration or if its jriver.
Not pointing fingers just trying to find a solution.
Thanks for your quick response

You should probably open a new thread explaining your issue in more detail, including how you installed JRiver, what your pi OS is, exactly what you mean by "not able to see anything?," etc.  this is a very old thread about a different issue entirely.

muslhead

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2023, 03:23:08 pm »

i could see how you might think my response was completely unrelated.
I will create a new post. sorry

It was just your post
"To add on, it's also worth noting that JRiver runs natively on a Raspberry Pi as well, so you could run JRiver on the Win10 server, and run a client instance of JRiver on the Pi, and control either or both via phone apps (JRemote, Gizmo) or web pages (Panel)"
got me to thinking if i did what you stated, it may fix the problem i have with album art not showing up in my pi display when using the pi and ropieeexl OS.
Probably best i try it and see
Pages: [1]   Go Up