INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playlist generated from Folder  (Read 417 times)

nuvira

• World Citizen
Playlist generated from Folder
« on: February 13, 2021, 06:35:52 pm »

Can MC27 make automatically generate Playlist Group and Playlist from Folder contains 55 CD titles folder inside of the main folder?

David Sydney

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Playlist generated from Folder
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2021, 07:46:00 pm »

That's what Smartlists are for.. after you work out what your criteria is on paper head to the wiki https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Smartlists to work out how to take your criteria and input in to a smartlist. I would imagine (although I have not tried this as yet), if you want these to populate into a group automatically, you would first create a playlist group called whatever, then in your smartlist criteria above you assign that group to it also.
Dave
------
Linux Manjaro 23 / Windows 10 Pro | i7 14700K Gigabyte Z790 UD AX | JRMark 10253 | Realtek Integrated HDAudio SPDIF | PC Sound - Yamaha TSS-15 5.1 DAC (will be sad when capacitors die!)| Real Sound - DLNA Network to Yamaha RX-V777 Receiver Living Room + Deck | DLNA to Paired Yamaha WiFi WX-010 MusicCast Speakers to Outside Areas

nuvira

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 03:08:56 pm »

That's what Smartlists are for.. after you work out what your criteria is on paper head to the wiki https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Smartlists to work out how to take your criteria and input in to a smartlist. I would imagine (although I have not tried this as yet), if you want these to populate into a group automatically, you would first create a playlist group called whatever, then in your smartlist criteria above you assign that group to it also.
Yup. I tried it but the Smartlist is limited to other purposes except dealing with Folders. I don't think it is too difficult to do it. MC team did all other complicated stuff every time.
I hope MC has the solution for it. thanks.

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2021, 04:06:08 pm »

MC is a metadata based database.  It shows you your media organized by metadata (tags) and not by where it is stored.  This frees you from being shackled by a particular directory structure, which can be deleterious when dealing with large collections that span many drives.

If you want to look at your media based on location, you have a couple of options:

1. Create a view based on location (Right Click in the Tree->Add Library View->Disk Location)

2. Use the "Explorer" feature, found under "Drives & Devices" in the tree.

...but the Smartlist is limited to other purposes except dealing with Folders.
Smartlists actually can deal with folders. You can create smartlists based on location, by using the rule "Filename (path) contains ..."  Create as many as you want.

MC does not automagically create multiple smartlists by recursively traversing a directory tree and splitting the lists by folder.

So I will ask, why exactly do you want to create smartlists in this manner, for what purpose? What are you trying to achieve or do? Why do you think you need smartlists that correspond to these folders?

If we can understand your goal, we might be able to point you at a better solution.

Because users often ask for very strange or convoluted things, because they did not know there was a better way to do it.  Sort of like asking how they can install an AC generator in their car to power an electric heating pad, because they don't realize the car has a heated seat feature.
Pages: [1]   Go Up