INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 4.0 speakers with fantom center setup (channel management)  (Read 990 times)

AGAWA

• World Citizen
4.0 speakers with fantom center setup (channel management)
« on: February 17, 2021, 07:58:51 am »

I use 4.0 speaker setup.
Just wondering if I could use JRiver to do a channel management  of 5.1 to 4.0 setup.
Want to play MCH DSD and FLAC files over network to MAC or Windows PC with Apogee Duet or Quartet as a MCH DAC.
NAS (DLNA) - MAC (PC) - DAC - amps
Is Parametric Equalizer able to do this job?
Redirect Center to FL and FR (-3dB) and Sub to FL and FR at required level (posssibly +7db?)
New to JRiver, just this idea came to my mind .
Originally planned to use BR player fetching files over network (DLNA) - HDMI to Yamaha CX-A5200(or 5000, 5100) or Marantz 8805.
Yamaha or Marantz doing channel management.

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: 4.0 speakers with fantom center setup (channel management)
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 01:03:29 pm »

Is Parametric Equalizer able to do this job?

Yes.

Read this article and use the Mix Channels function.
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Parametric_Equalizer

Don't use DLNA. Let MC read the files directly from the NAS.

Or, you could let MC play directly to the Yamaha or Marantz via HDMI, without the Apogee.  I favor the Yamaha over the Marantz.

Hope this helps...

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 01:26:25 pm »

You can also have JRiver automatically create a phantom center channel.

AGAWA

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 01:54:53 am »

Or, you could let MC play directly to the Yamaha or Marantz via HDMI, without the Apogee.  I favor the Yamaha over the Marantz.

Hope this helps...
[/quote]

Do you know if CX-A5000 will play MCH DSD and FLAC from HDMI input? I've spotted nice price used one.
Another question - why do you favor Yamaha over Marantz? Is it Sound quality ?
Apogee is excellent DAC soundwise, close to my Sony XA9000ES SACD mch player and old Sony XA50ES CD player. I thought that modern DACs will easily beat them on sound quality, tested several , even rather expensive and they are hard to beat.
I wonder how Yamaha does against my stuff.
regards

AGAWA

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 02:48:34 am »

wer,
one more question:
what is your opinion on sound quality :
OPPO 105  analog vs OPPO - HDMI - Yamaha , Yamaha DACs?

wer

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 03:08:36 am »

FLAC is no problem.  You won't be able to get DSD from a PC into any device over HDMI; the video cards don't support it.

If you're addicted to DSD, for direct playback you either use the SACD player or get a standalone USB DAC. You could also get DSD into those devices via DLNA or a USB storage device, but 2 channel only. I don't recommend DLNA.

In my opinion, (when you're talking about those specific devices, the top of the line processors, and yes I've had them in my house) the Yamaha sounds better than the Marantz. More musical, more natural. It also runs a lot cooler, which matters if you're going to keep it in a cabinet or stack. The Yamaha also lets you select different filters for the ESS DAC, if that interests you.

There are DACs that can sound better, but you have to listen carefully and shop carefully, and the selection of high quality multichannel DACs is extremely limited.  But there is an issue of practicality. DACs just don't do the things that processors do.  A Ferrari drives better than a BMW, but it's pretty useless for taking your 3 kids to school. Or bringing anything home from the store. Etc.

If you want the absolute best audio quality and don't need any functionality other than listening to a single audio-only source, get a DAC.  If you need to do anything else at all, get a processor.  The Yamaha sounds great.

MC hooked directly to a processor with HDMI is a great solution for multichannel audio and video.

You have to decide for yourself what pleases you. Do your research and do some listening.

I hope this helps... Good luck.

AGAWA

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 05:46:11 am »

great advice and comments.
I'm using 4 channel setup - Macbook wit Audirvana to Apogee Duet set for 4 channel (headphone part serves as two rear channels) with excellent results. DSD DoP MCH.
Duet is now ready for Windows.
I wonder if you have ever compared Oppo 103,105 analog to the same players over HDMI, and Yamaha doing the processing.
Oppo 105 sounds strange to me, kind of noise I do not accept. 205 is even worse. This my view of course.
But it is always personal.

Pages: [1]   Go Up