INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cropping black bars with MC  (Read 2800 times)

lello

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Cropping black bars with MC
« on: March 02, 2021, 01:47:41 am »

I have a 21: 9 screen and I use madvr for cropping black bars. To activate the cropping, however, I have to set the Video LAV to DXVA2 copy back, and this leads to a strong increase in rendering so with the UHD film my RX580 video card cannot.
So I tried to activate the cropping from MC but, for how many attempts I have made, it only cuts out the side bands and not those above and below: what are the correct settings?

Thanks you so much

lello

• MC Beta Team
Re: Cropping black bars with MC
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 06:03:06 am »

Resolved! ;D
It was necessary to remove the check mark on the relief of the black bars of madvr. Also in MC> tools> video> advanced> aspect ratio correction: select 1.78 output to2.35 display.

Now the black bars are gone, and the rendering has even improved.

Thanks JRiver! :)

lello

• MC Beta Team
Re: Ritaglio di barre nere con MC
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 01:51:07 am »

I am trying to create a tag in the manage library fields to automatically detect movies with black bars, such as madvr does, but I can't: does anyone know if there is a way?

It would be useful for me to view this type of film in another zone

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2021, 04:58:31 am »

Ok, obviously the question I asked above has no solution :)

So I propose another one, hoping that this time someone will answer: is it possible to set "Crop Black Bars 2:35" by default?

wer

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2021, 01:56:21 pm »

is it possible to set "Crop Black Bars 2:35" by default?

Your question is a little confusing to me, in the context of your previous posts. Maybe you can clarify what you mean, because you're asking about changing the default, but...

You already know how to change the "Automatically detect hard coded black bars" setting (and others) in MadVR. When you do that, you change the default.

You already know about Options> video> advanced> (where aspect ratio mode allows for crop).  When you change that, you change the default.

So do you have some situation where all those are unacceptable, and the only thing that works is using the "Crop Black Bars 2:35" in the On-Screen-Display?  And you want to make THAT the default?

Please explain.

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 07:34:25 am »

Certainly. Sorry if I was unclear, but most likely it's the age.  ;D

For black bar detection, I have always used madvr as long as it was a 2k movie. Unfortunately with 4k my RX580 video card, with active tone mapping and copy-back (essential for black bar detection), can't take it anymore.

While waiting for video card prices to drop, I was thinking of using MC cropping, which is very good.

Now I activate it manually the first time I put a BD UHD and I see that there are black bands, but I wanted to create a new area in which "aspect ratio correction> 1.78 output to 2.35 display" are automatically active (and this I succeeded ) that "crop black bars 2.35" which is what I'm missing.

If this is not possible, no problem being able to continue as I have done now.

Thanks anyway

wer

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2021, 01:07:49 pm »

Ok, so you're saying doing it in madvr is out.

The only other way I can think to activate it is to copy the playback info field from a file that uses it.  You could copy that to every 4k movie in your library in one step if you wanted.

But it's not zone specific, it's file specific. So it wouldn't just be applied to a file playing in your "new area" it would be active wherever the file plays.

And if you imported a new file, it wouldn't be there, unless you did it as a tag on import to all 4k movies.

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2021, 11:27:57 am »

To be zone specific, in video> advanced> aspect ratio mode there should be crop black bars 2.35 in addition to stretch, crop and automatic.

Maybe it's a feature to ask for with the upcoming v28, or nobody cares about it?
Pages: [1]   Go Up