INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BD/UHD Menus with d3d9 in MC27?  (Read 1857 times)

Manni

• Galactic Citizen
BD/UHD Menus with d3d9 in MC27?
« on: March 04, 2021, 10:58:49 am »

I'm having lots of issues with madVR when tonemapping HDR to SDR using d3d11 (nVidia 3090, 20H2) so as a workaround until I find a solution I have to use d3d9.

Unfortunately, even when d3d11 is disabled in madVR to force d3d9, JRiver forces d3d11 if BD/UHD menus are enabled, so my issues are back.

Losing menus also means losing reliable forced subtitles with BD/UHD folders, so movie only playback isn't an option. Menus are the main reason why I'm using JRiver (I could just go back to MPC-BE if I can't use menus anymore).

Anyone knows if it's possible to get JRiver to play menus with d3d9?

I have LAV set to copyback (not native), so menus work fine otherwise.

Thanks!

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: BD/UHD Menus with d3d9 in MC27?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 11:10:02 am »

We don't force any mode in madVR. I just gave it a quick test here, with both a normal and UHD disc, and it plays menus in D3D9 mode just fine, the madVR OSD agrees that its in d3d9 mode as well.
In general, we don't really change any madVR settings outside of offering you profiles to load.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Manni

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 03:54:23 pm »

Hi Nev,

Thanks for the reply.

So how do you suggest I resolve this?

madVR has d3d11 disabled in its rendering/general settings options for my UHD profile (I only need d3d9 for HDR content so I've only tested this with UHD bluray). If I play my titles in JRiver without menus this is respected (madVR OSD reports d3d9 and my HDR to SDR tonemapping issues are gone).

As soon as I enable the menus in JRiver, either in options or while playing the title, JRiver/madVR forces d3d11, as per its OSD, and my issues with HDR to SDR tonemapping are back.

Did you test with an Ampere card with 20H2?

If you did, please could you let me know with which driver?

Was LAV set to native or copyback? In my experience, JRiver needs copyback to deliver menus, so I always use copyback.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 04:14:54 pm »

Sounds to me like madVR cannot switch that particular setting based on a profile, and the disc in menu mode may start with a SDR clip (or a Java section without video at all, in which case a blank SDR clip is inserted as "background"), triggering your SDR profile first, and that setting sticks (ie. once playback is initialized, it won't switch between d3d versions)
Would recommend setting all profiles to d3d9 if that helps fix a problem, or at least the SDR 1080p profile, which is likely the fallback for the menu if nothing else exists.

For the record, menus should also work with native decoding or d3d11 decoding, as we directly communicate with madVR to render them ontop of the video, irrespective of the video decoding, but thats tangential to your issue in any case.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Manni

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2021, 04:25:54 pm »

Great thinking, thanks, it's definitely solved by disabling d3d11 for the other resolutions :)

I then get d3d9 with menus, which is great, at least until I solve the underlying issue with d3d11.

While I have you here, menus have never worked for me with native (please let me know if you'd like me start a new thread as it's a different topic). Here is what I get with 3d311 native on the same Lucy menu (though it does this with most titles, and it did that before the recent problems I'm experiencing with d3d11 since I upgraded to Ampere):

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2021, 05:27:42 pm »

DXVA2 Native works fine, at least, and I just fixed D3D11 Native for the next LAV update.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Manni

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 06:05:17 pm »

Perfect, thanks, looking forward to testing it!

Thanks again for your help today, much appreciated.

Manni

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2021, 02:56:23 pm »

Issue with BD Menus and D3D11 confirmed fixed in LAV nightly 114, thanks :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up