INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Finding an Existing Local Library On My Music Server  (Read 1524 times)

Keith Gray

Finding an Existing Local Library On My Music Server
« on: March 05, 2021, 07:13:40 pm »

I have a music server running Linux 4.15.0-112 low latency & MC26.

When I go to add an existing library on my music server, I go to Add library/local library & put in the path to the existing library/ok, I get the following error message:-
“cannot create a new library at the specified location. The directory must be empty.”

This is confusing as there is a message below the box where I put the path that says:-
“Enter a path to an existing library, or enter a path with no files in it to create a new library.”

Does the error message mean that I have to create a new empty library, select that in the “path” box & then copy the music across?

skidmata

• Recent member
Re: Finding an Existing Local Library On My Music Server
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2021, 09:26:34 am »

Perhaps its lying and its a permissions error.   Are you sure you have write access to the parent directory ?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Finding an Existing Local Library On My Music Server
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2021, 10:19:52 am »

One point worth clearing up just in case (it's a common point of confusion): what JRiver Mediacenter (MC) calls a "library" is a database of information about your music files created by MC.  For JRiver's purposes, the "library" is *not* your music files.  So if you're trying to point JRiver at your files using the "add library" dialog it won't work, as there's no "library" there, just your files.  You need to use the File-->Library-->Import option to bring your files into your empty library, not the "add library" option.  The import options won't move any files, they will just tell JRiver where to look for files so that they can be indexed into the "library" database.

If you know all that, and you actually mean that you have a JRiver database library at a certain file location but JRiver won't recognize it, the easiest way to migrate a library is to create a library backup in whatever version of JRiver MC you used to create the library, and then restore the library backup in the new version of JRiver. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up