INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with Filename Collisions  (Read 1301 times)

takoma

• nothing more to say...
Problem with Filename Collisions
« on: January 15, 2003, 06:47:23 am »

I am experiencing what appears to be a bug in Media Jukebox 8.383 and 8.394.

I import some files into the library, select all the files, and right click on properties.  I do some editing in properties, including "rename files from properties."
When I click on save, I get an error message "filename collision" because two of the files would have the same name.  Media Jukebox returns to the main screen.  All fine is so far, that was my mistake.

HOWEVER, at this point there seems to be no way to get back into the mode of editing properties.  For example, I select a subset of the files, omitting the one with the collision, and again right click on properties.  The computer is idle for a short time, then the hourglass appears for a few seconds, then nothing more happens.

If I clear the libary and  re-import all the files, I still cannot edit the properties.  The only solution I have found is to exit Media Jukebox & start over.  

If it happens that there are several filenames that collide, and I don't spot them in advance, this means that I have to go through the entire process of reloading media jukebox and re-importing the library once for each file collision.

I sure hope you can provide a patch or workaround.

Takoma ?

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re: Problem with Filename Collisions
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2003, 07:54:11 am »

Regarding the lack of recovery after a collision...?

What filename rule are you using? If you use "ARTIST - ALBUM - TRACK# - NAME" you should be safe providing all applicable tags are filled out.

10-27

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2003, 10:14:23 am »

>> What filename rule are you using?
It has nothing to do with that, that may help but is not the cure.

this has been a problem since renaming has but in MJ, yes it has gotten better but this is a major problem.

I have 7 versions Of 'Tighten Up' by 'Archie Bell'

And the file names can't be the same but the rename option does not allow for it to correct the problem. Ie tag a number at the end of the file (1), (2) etc....

the only way to overcome this is to screw up all your track numbers (not that i care about track numbers). and use the "ARTIST - ALBUM - TRACK# - NAME" rename mask.

only If you use the option "fill track numbers from list order", then use rename with the above mask this problem can be overcome.

like i said if you love your track numbers this work around will break your heart.

My track numbers go from 1 upto 25,320 (a very large CD will hold them all)

For some reason Matt refuses to see the light.

'Matt Is A Coal Miner's Daughter' Charted At 83 In 1970

Listening to: 'Matt Is A Coal Miner's Daughter' from 'Greatest Hits Volume II' by 'Loretta Lynn' on Media Center 9.0
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2003, 11:50:08 am »

King > It has nothing to do with that

After experimenting along the lines set by takoma it seems as though it has EVERYTHING to do with the filename rule. Didn't check to see what happened if renamed file matched an existing filename...but why go through this exercise in the first place if a properly named file exists already? And if it does, and you don't want it...delete it.

10-27

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2003, 12:06:57 pm »

>> Didn't check to see what happened if
>> renamed file matched
Well Try it.

Put 10 Files in the Same Dir With The Same:

Artist Name & Song Name

Rename Mask = "[ArtistName] - [name]"

because thats how I want them, and do not want to use the album or the track number in the file name.

Then Use Rename, It Does Not Work.

And I Want To keep All 10

--------------------------------

I don't like having Album And Track # in the file name. for one it normaly makes the file name too long. and burnt to dvd and in some portables it cuts the file name off.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

takoma

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2003, 06:32:23 am »

Sounds like I'm not alone with this issue.  

True, renaming the files with all 4 parameters may decrease the likelihood of collisions -  there is a good chance that there will be typos in some of the parameters so they new names won't match!

But that's precisely what I am trying to avoid.  I have downloaded a lot of files from different sources with varying filename conventions.  My disk is overflowing with duplicate copies of the same song recorded with different data rates, different filename conventions, etc.
Since some of the downloaded files only specify "Artist - Title", I have chosen that as my standard naming convention --- unfortunately I'm stuck with a "lowest common denominator" situation.  If the ID3 info contains more data --- that's wonderful.  I can always rename the files with a more complex scheme sometime in the future.

My goal is to rename all the files to this standard "Artist-Filename" format.  Once I've accomplished that, it becomes easier to search for, identify, and delete the duplicates and near duplicates.  

The renaming works fine if there are no collisions (once you realize that on the properties page, only the "selected" files will be updated by the SAVE operation!).  

But when there are collisions, the program is a nightmare.  A numbering scheme such as (1) (2) (3) would be an acceptable solution.  Equally acceptable, for me, would be if the program would simply allow you to continue working after the collision occurred.  But this current situation of needing to restart the program and reload the library for each collision is clearly a bug that ought >:( to be fixed.

takoma

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2003, 07:01:12 am »

I feel your pain....

>> A numbering scheme such as (1) (2) (3) would
>> be an acceptable solution.  
And agree
Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up