INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No sound after 2.0 min of play  (Read 406 times)

dfbishop

No sound after 2.0 min of play
« on: March 17, 2021, 12:16:13 pm »

After many weeks of excellent playback, JRiver MediaCenter 27 for Mac now stops feeding sound to output after exactly 2 min of play.  I tried updating to the latest version (27.0.66) but no joy.  I am using Mac OS 10.13.6, High Sierra.  Nothing unusual seems to be happening when running Activity Monitor - Media Center is the top activity and usually Windowserve after that.  It does not matter which media file I am playing.  Most unusual, and annoying.  I have to double click to stop and then it plays back OK from the beginning until 2 min - no sound, but MC is still active and the spectrum display bouncing and the progress bar progressing.  I was feeding audio output to core audio under tools options and tried feeding it directly to my USB Dragonfly DAC that drives my Hi Fi, but same problem.  I searched around on the forum, and saw one other 2 min stop under different conditions and setup, but no resolution.  Any ideas?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: No sound after 2.0 min of play
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 01:26:40 pm »

dfbishop

Re: No sound after 2.0 min of play
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 08:08:19 pm »

(Solved) I tried without the Dragonfly and had the same problem.  But... later today it happened again, two minutes into a Skype call!  Some more searching on Apple forums suggested that it could be core audio corruption that could be fixed by the terminal command sudo killall coreaudiod

I just did a shutdown, which does the same thing, as well as running fsck, the UNIX cleanup command.  All was well after that for a half our of audio play through MC and a subsequent 1 hr Zoom meeting.

Weird problem, who knows what triggered it, but the lesson here is always try a restart or preferably shutdown first!

Cheers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up