INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cannot find audio devices after trying DLNA via LAN  (Read 1585 times)

shAf

• Citizen of the Universe
Cannot find audio devices after trying DLNA via LAN
« on: March 27, 2021, 09:36:33 am »

I thought I’d explore the ability to use my Denon AVR as a DAC over my LAN as per JRiver’s wiki... “Recommended Settings (DAC's connected via DLNA over ethernet)”
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DAC_Settings#Recommended_Settings_.28DAC.27s_connected_via_DLNA_over_ethernet.29

... I didn’t get very far as the options under the step “Associate your DAC with the "Audiophile 24-bit DAC" server configured above” didn’t agree with what MC26 was showing me under “player”. I don’t know if this is because the wiki pertains to MC27 or an earlier MC version(?)

In any case, after giving up and wanting to return to previous settings, my usual Windows 10 audio devices cannot be found under “playback options” (e.g., my computer’s HDMI audio out). The list now only shows the “DENON-AVR (Intel display) [WASAPI]” and the “default audio device (direct sound)” options (... without ‘more...’ showing anything pertinent).

Questions... (1) how do I get back to my usual audio output devices? ... and (2) any constructive comments/suggestions regarding any benefit from what I was exploring in the 1st place? (... as if enabling bitstreaming was all that was required to exclusively use my AVR’s DAC?)

TIA :)

cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

wer

Re: Cannot find audio devices after trying DLNA via LAN
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2021, 01:15:40 pm »

You could try rebooting, but it sounds like "Denon AVR (Intel Display) WASAPI]" is your Denon connected over HDMI plugged into your Intel motherboard graphics.  Select that.

Windows decides what to label the devices.

In my opinion, there was no benefit to what you were doing. You were trying to use DLNA instead of a direct HDMI connection.  That would just make things worse.

shAf

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2021, 02:13:35 pm »

You could try rebooting, but it sounds like "Denon AVR (Intel Display) WASAPI]" is your Denon connected over HDMI plugged into your Intel motherboard graphics.  Select that.

Windows decides what to label the devices. […]
Thanks Wer... but I’ve even tried reinstalling MC...

I might believe Windows could’ve renamed the HDMI out device, but it isn’t the only HDMI output. There’s one on the motherboard and one on the video card.

Enabling bitstreaming does work, and all enhancements and 5.1 conversions via the AVR still works

wer

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2021, 03:30:47 pm »

Have you looked in the sound portion of Windows Control Panel?  If devices are missing from there, you won't see them listed in MC either; MC can only show the devices Windows presents to it.

And if the devices are missing in the Windows control panel, that's not something MC can make happen. That would be a windows or driver issue.

What exactly are you expecting to see? You mention HDMI on the video card, but what is it connected to?  If the video card is connected to a monitor that does not have audio capability, I don't think Windows will list it as an audio device.  So if the Denon is connected to the Intel graphics on the motherboard, what else specific are you expecting to see? You mention other devices being missing, but didn't enumerate what they were.

Could it also be possible some Windows updates were installed, with or without your consent?  A lot of nonsense occurs with new Windows updates, especially lately. Can you still print? :)

shAf

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2021, 06:06:58 am »

Have you looked in the sound portion of Windows Control Panel? […]
That’s something I forgot to mention... sorry. The devices are missing from the Windows control panel as well. It’s good to know MC couldn’t have gone that far.

Maybe it’s true that Windows updated and is now showing only those devices being employed, essentially what they're connected to, although strange that it wouldn’t indicate the type of connection (HDMI) in case JRiver might offer different configurations depending on type of connection(?)
Pages: [1]   Go Up