INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice / feature request.  (Read 443 times)

666JTK666

• Junior Woodchuck
Advice / feature request.
« on: March 27, 2021, 01:21:49 pm »

howdy folks,
in the last few years I have really had some terrible luck with my computers.
failed systems crashed hdds you name it. One of the most painful data losses has been multiple mc library's lost with all the custom fields, views ect .
So as a feature request, would be difficult for mc to backup the library to a cloud storage service like google drive or mega or XXX I can imagine this being a pita for mc to do.
So for advice does anyone know of a utility to sync a few files say once a day to a cloud storage service ? currently I am using a cobbled up 8yo laptop while I try to win the graphic card lotto to complete my new computer win 7 pro if that matters.

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Advice / feature request.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2021, 01:26:41 pm »

MC already does make automatic library backups as you use it.  This feature has been present for years.

You can configure where those backups are saved in Options->File Location->Program Files->Library Backups

So you can save them wherever you want. If you map a drive to your cloud service, you can store them to your cloud service; just specify the location in the option.

You can learn more about this by googling "jriver library backup" or reading this wiki article:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Backup

A google search of "sync files to google drive" reveals this:

https://support.google.com/drive/answer/7638428?hl=en

666JTK666

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2021, 01:36:35 pm »

I knew that mc made backups to the local disk , I was not aware I could use that functionality to do the cloud thing, thank you for the links. the sync programs I found on the net just struck me as sketchy and I figured my google fu was just poor. I will check out your suggestions.

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2021, 01:44:36 pm »

I think a lot of the major cloud drive providers provide their own syncing functionality. Google and Dropbox both do. And Microsoft offers their own free utility called SyncToy that will let you sync files between any two generic locations, so you can use that with any cloud provider, if you want to avoid downloading something third party.

Good luck.
Pages: [1]   Go Up