INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keyboard accent marks in Media Center  (Read 1605 times)

billinrio

• Junior Woodchuck
Keyboard accent marks in Media Center
« on: April 01, 2021, 10:39:21 am »

I'm currently running MC26, but my question applies to it and all other MC versions for Mac that I've used. I've never been able to type any accent marks in order to correctly type non-English words.  Is there a keyboard setup control in MC of which I'm not aware?  Also, if I copy a word that contains accent marks, for example "Albéniz", when I paste it into the search box, the accent doesn't appear.  The "Mac way" (holding down an option key) doesn't produce the desired accented letters in MC.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Keyboard accent marks in Media Center
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 09:28:44 am »

Hold down a key to get the accent choice (the Mac way).
ä
for example by holding down the a key.

Search is fine for me, I just copied and pasted your example from the forum page.

couchjr

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 06:22:59 pm »

I have the same problem when typing in tag fields. If I copy a word from a web page that includes diacriticals and paste it into the tag field, it works. If I try typing it "the Mac way" (e.g., option-e + e = é) it does not work. I just get the plain letter. This would be wonderful to fix.

I've never needed to use diacriticals in the search box, so that part of the UI may indeed work fine.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 08:08:59 am »

I have the same problem when typing in tag fields. If I copy a word from a web page that includes diacriticals and paste it into the tag field, it works. If I try typing it "the Mac way" (e.g., option-e + e = é) it does not work. I just get the plain letter. This would be wonderful to fix.

I've never needed to use diacriticals in the search box, so that part of the UI may indeed work fine.
https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/enter-characters-with-accent-marks-on-mac-mh27474/mac

MC supports the first method, not the second.

aliciaviola

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 03:29:45 am »

I am glad that someone else took up this topic once, which I had previously addressed with every new version and which I have since given up to mention any more.
Copy and paste works with Google Chrome and Microsoft Word, but not with most other Mac programs such as Safari or with the normal import of files in MediaCenter (version 27, latest update). with these special characters always appear as a plain letter with a space after it.
It's nice that special characters can now be entered in MC using the normal Mac method. However, this is still more cumbersome than normal, as a drop-down menu then appears in which the capital letter must be clicked and not, as usual, a row of numbers appears above the typed character, from which the corresponding letter is then selected via the keyboard. This method is just faster.
This disadvantage is at least offset by the fact that significantly more characters from different languages ​​are listed in the drop-down menu.
Frank
Pages: [1]   Go Up