INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help needed for DLNA conversions of DSD  (Read 1242 times)

Dennis in FL

• Galactic Citizen
Help needed for DLNA conversions of DSD
« on: April 02, 2021, 07:43:27 am »

My Marantz won't play over 2.8MHz DSD and I want to down convert higher res files when playing on DLNA.   

I cannot find how to do this in the Option / Network menus.   

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Looking Busy
Re: Help needed for DLNA conversions of DSD
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 08:01:09 pm »

With DLNA this is done through DSP settings of the applicable DLNA server.

Go to Tools -> Options -> Media Network -> Add or Configure DLNA Servers

Go to the DLNA server in question and ensure that Mode is set to "Specified Output Format".

Once this is set, under Audio, Advanced the DSP Studio will be available for you to set those file res options.

Cheers

Dennis in FL

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 07:35:56 am »

Many thanks

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 05:57:19 pm »

MC will convert 2.8 MHz DSD to 352 KHz PCM. To down convert further, you need to put the final sample rate in the 352 KHz line.

Dennis in FL

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2021, 05:15:53 am »

MC will convert 2.8 MHz DSD to 352 KHz PCM. To down convert further, you need to put the final sample rate in the 352 KHz line.

This has been an puzzle for me.   I originally changed output to every available PCM DSF choice (leaving sampling choices alone in DSP Studio) and my speakers were silent when I played an audiophile DSD Hi Res tune.   Then I tried MP3 and it worked.  I checked my receiver and it was receiving MP3.   

Strangely - I had to watch for MC switching the Audio Path on me.   If I was testing DLNA....MC would sometimes flip back to my USB DAC.

Lastly I changed the last sampling rate (>768,000 Hz) to 768,000 and type from MP3 to DSF and it worked - beautiful music was everywhere !!!   

My receiver was showing DSD at 2.8MHz (which is the maximum allowed by the receiver).

I hate when things work and I have no clue what I just did.  While I was typing this I had a two second really annoying dropout.   I'd rather have no sound than dropouts.   

----

My Marantz allowable DLNA inputs is attached from the manual.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2021, 09:08:01 am »

With your DAC and source material I think the best you are going to be able to do is to set the DLNA audio conversion to "Specified format when necessary" and convert only the unplayable formats to 24 bit wave with a maximum sample rate of 176k.
In your case since MC can't sort the DSD material by unplayable sample rate you will need to choose dsd material to be converted (in this case really just decoded to 176k PCM).

The conversion to DSF is very new and in general works well for me even on low powered devices however i have seen dropouts on converting DSD material to DSF to play on my IdPi, this is because the material has to go from DSD->PCM->DSF and that is very processor intensive. In addition the encoding can only use one core per stream so a stereo encoding will only use 2 cores.

Pages: [1]   Go Up