INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Id as Renderer For Remote JRiver Media Server?  (Read 1369 times)

spacevader

Id as Renderer For Remote JRiver Media Server?
« on: April 12, 2021, 04:02:47 pm »

Hello All!

I'm considering purchasing an Id but I'm not sure it can do what I want and I've searched the forum(s) but I can't seem to find an answer for my "problem"... ::)

I run MC24(Win) at Location "A" for serving up my music library to various devices on my local network there and I have set up an access key for the Media Server so I can play my music "from anywhere" on a mobile device, all works great! 

I am now wanting to access that same MC24 Media Server/Library at Location "A" from Location "B", in which "B" is a different geographical location and network from Location "A". I was hoping I could use an Id as a renderer of my Media Library at Location "A" coupled with a DAC and AMP set up at "B". I am unsure if I can just set the Id to Sync my Media Library(I only have one) from Location "A" to the Id at Location "B" using my access key or there is another way this can be done?  I don't want to "copy" my Media Library over to Location "B" if possible(>1TB). I was hoping to then use JRemote/Gizmo on a mobile device at Location "B" to control Media Center and send the audio to the Id Renderer. I could buy a readily available Network Streamer for Location "B" and then Bluetooth/Airplay to it from a mobile device while there using Gizmo/JRemote, but prefer to Render Direct on Id from the Media Library to the DAC/AMP set up.

I don't see another hardware "streamer" device that could do this natively(all seem to only work at the local network level) but thought maybe the Id could make it work because of the JRiver Access Key and Library Sync options? I guess another name brand Network Streamer could do this if I set up a site to site VPN between the two local networks, but I really don't want to have to go down that road. I'm looking to create a small footprint of hardware to do this(i.e. Pi, DAC, AMP for example) and a pair of speakers for two channel listening area. Maybe its just easier to copy my Library and keep it at Location "B" and plugged in via USB for example.

I don't mind a technical challenge, but sometimes I think I might be making it more complex then necessary and reliability will suffer.  ;D

Thanks for any help or guidance!
-Don

Wheaten

Re: Id as Renderer For Remote JRiver Media Server?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 05:02:40 pm »

If I am correct the only thing you need to do is forward port 52199 in your modem at point A, to point to the ip-adress of A.
And make sure that that you use your external IP to access it. (on location A use https://www.whatismyip.com/)
You can add the library of A to B, via the library manager at B.
Doing the same with my office PC, when visiting our company in the USA (not with MC27 yet, as travelling is difficult nowadays)  to access my music from my home PC located in the Netherlands.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 05:58:52 pm »

I do what Wheaton suggests.

The only thing I have to add is that for security purposes, I restrict my router on the server side to only allow forwarding from the IP address on the client side. In my case that address is static. If you need to handle a dynamic address you'll need to use a dyndns solution if your router supports that or a vpn.

If you don't or can't filter on the port forward, I suggest using the https option in MC's media network to connect on port 52200 and use a very good random username and password.

It's not like read-only access to your library is dangerous other than DOS or someone downloading your collection!

spacevader

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2021, 06:16:28 pm »

Thank you Wheaten and Bob! Sounds like I can stick with JRiver for this through the Id - another toy! Great!  ;D I wasn't sure exactly how the Id worked in regards to its library manager, so thank you for that clarification. Looks like JRiver just sold an IdPi! Now that I'm past that....what DAC and what AMP...oh the choices!!!   :)

Appreciate the quick feedback - a great set of products, and great people!   

Wheaten

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 01:13:27 am »

Which DAC and AMP? that's a to open question.
You should not rely on someone else preferences, preferred sound stage etc.
Go to a reseller take your speakers, some of your favorite tracks, with you and have them demo their DAC's and amps and buy what sounds the best to you within your budget.
Personally I am hooked to NAD, Focal and Pro-ject. But I also have a low cost class-d amplifier (Fosi Audio BT20A) that produces a good sound on my Focals and Pro-ject pre box S2 digital.
So if you ask this question to 100 people, you prob. get 150 answers........

Pages: [1]   Go Up