INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How important is the USB Cable to the DAC  (Read 2042 times)

Dennis in FL

• Galactic Citizen
How important is the USB Cable to the DAC
« on: April 14, 2021, 05:46:59 pm »

I just installed the Topping E30 DAC and my USB cable from the computer was too short.   After rumaging through the house I found a longer cable but have no idea if it is a high quality or an Amazon basic.  Probably an Amazon basic.   Good cables put their name on it.

Anyway, I plugged in the Topping and put some music on through MC and I was in awe.  It sounded like I had new speakers.   And expensive speakers at that.  I can't believe a better USB cable can do any better.

So....does the USB cable quality matter?

DJLegba

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: How important is the USB Cable to the DAC
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 07:13:47 pm »

No

Wheaten

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 01:38:10 am »

Just pick a side.
In theory:
You're in the digital domain. The bit stream is an analog signal with high and low voltages. As long as the stream is interpreted as a data package, there is some error handling. The only thing you will notice are drop-outs. (retransmission of signal) so the buffer runs empty. So if you placed your cable in a microwave, and turn it on, you'd notice. For the rest of the time, a decent cable will do fine. If your DAC is USB powered and the PSU generates spikes, it might be detectable.

In practice:
A lot of people claim they hear differences, using expensive USB cable between PC and DAC. They claim more dynamics, better soundstage.
The rest op the people don't hear it.

To my opinion.
Use a decent USB cable. (10-30 euro)
Avoid positioning the cable near EMC sources
Try to have your PC gear powered by a non switching PSU (If the PSU automatically detects the line voltage, it's switched)

zybex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 03:07:24 am »

No
+1

So if you place your cable in a microwave, turn it on, you'll notice.
Hmm, don't do that.

Dennis in FL

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 03:19:20 am »

On reflection, my Home Theater had dropouts when I playing Dolby Vision with my Apple TV and I found a slew of people online with the same problem.....turns out the Apple TV can't use just any ol' HDMI cable.   It needs a Belkin high speed HDMI or better.   I bought the cable Apple recommended and the dropouts went away.   

Makes sense....you need a certain bandwidth and wire thickness for the higher data rate of Dolby Vision with Atmos. 

So, I'll keep an eye out ear out for dropouts and get a better USB if so.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up