INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Android App Seeing All Folders In MC 27  (Read 589 times)

jnperlm

Android App Seeing All Folders In MC 27
« on: April 27, 2021, 03:56:28 pm »

I have a Questyle CMA 12 DAC.  It is functioning properly and has been recognized by MC 27 via the network connection in MC 27.  The Questyle is attached to a Windows 7 Pro OS and virtually all of my audio files are resided on an external hard drive attached to the PC.  For some reason, when MC27 scanned the external hard drive it didn't properly/fully recognize all my artist or albums.  It does show everything correctly in the folder view, however, and over to the left of the MC Menu, under Audio, there is a green icon for files which shows everything properly and responds properly when manually selected in the MC Windows program.  Here's the problem.  When I launch an Android app., either Bubble or Gizmo, while such things as Albums, Artists, Genre, etc. show up, can be selected and playback properly, I don't have an option to open file/folder which appears in MC Windows program as a green audio option. The simple question is how can I make the files/folder appear in an Android connection app.?  I am trying to ascertain whether it makes sense to purchase a license for MC, so this needs to be worked out before I purchase the license or the JRiver Android app. which requires a payment.  Thanks.

jnperlm

Re: Android App Seeing All Folders In MC 27
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2021, 05:03:04 pm »

As there seems to be some interest in the forum on this topic, I wanted to update my initial post with some positive news.

I managed something of a work-around.  If I launch MC, then launch a properly set-up Minimserver 2/Minimwatch 2 to index my external hard drive for files, Bubble, once set up to work with both MC 27 and Minimserver on my Android phone, will recognize all my files and playback, at the correct resolution, is achieved.  In Bubble, the library should be set to Minimserver and the renderer should be set up to recognize MC.  And make sure you select gapless playback in Bubble.  So, I am operational.  What this means, for instance, is where I have a folder for my Beatles original English vinyl pressings that have been ripped to 192/24, Bubble will see that folder, once you select "Folder View" in Bubble, allow me to open that folder and then select a specific album to play back.

Still, I'd like some input from MC tech people if there is some way to configure things where I don't need Minimserver in the chain and can have Bubble, or some other Android App., work directly with MC and the Questyle DAC.

Also, please note, I am very much a novice at this, so I don't feel qualified to answer questions about this and how to make this work for you.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2021, 08:07:18 pm »

I would figure out why MC did not properly find your files. That is your base problem. Fix that and Gizmo or JRemote will play everything in your library.

jnperlm

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 01:09:05 pm »

I may have figured out why MC didn't "scan" certain things in my library, but that may not be the issue, so I need clarification on something.  When MC scans a library, and then you view things through an app. like Gizmo, it will put the music in the app. under "Albums" and/or "Artists".  There is no option, in an app., to view ones music in a old-school, folder/tree option, correct?  The reason this is important for me, for instance, is I may have three or four different versions of an album, say Abbey Rd., in different locations on the external drive.  One could be a British pressing the other the Japanese CD.  So, having Abbey Rd. show up multiple times in "Album" or "Artist" doesn't do what I want, and can achieve, with Minimserver.  Thanks.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2021, 09:38:41 pm »

You can define views as you wish. The Albums and Artist ones are there by default, but you can define pretty much any view you want.

Organization in MC is generally based on fields (aka tags). You can use existing ones or define your own.  It is really up to you to  use the fields the way you want to. But, simply organizing your MC library by your file structure is not the normal organization, although the main program does let you see a folder view, but the Android apps typically stick to field based views.

If you want to find a specific version of an album, you can always use Search, assuming you have a field that has a unique value.

So, the idea is to figure out a tagging scheme that allows the organization you want.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2021, 09:21:39 am »

Also, you can define these views the same or differently depending on how you access them.

For example, you can have a view for MC on your computer that shows things by folder adding a library view under audio in the left tree.
You could for example choose "Disk Location" and then modify that view to panes if you prefer or even change the name to Folder. The possibilities are endless.

For viewing files over the network, there are similar view configuration options in Media Network->Advanced->Customize views for JRemote, Gizmo and Panel.

The same options exists for creating your own views for DLNA under Media Network->Add or Configure DLNA Server->[choose a server]->... Customize views

jnperlm

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2021, 09:31:29 am »

Bob and dtc, Thanks for these two last replies, I will see what I can figure out later in the day given my limited skill set. Final question, I believe, am I losing anything in terms of performance by using Minimserver to create/access my MC 27 library via an Android app., presently Bubble?
Pages: [1]   Go Up