INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting article about vinyl...  (Read 1902 times)

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
Interesting article about vinyl...
« on: May 05, 2021, 09:47:54 pm »

What’s so important about vinyl records? Just about everything
https://www.digitaljournal.com/tech-science/whats-so-important-about-vinyl-records-just-about-everything/article

Ironic that it is in a publication called Digital Journal.  :)

=========
Vinyl: Shure V15VxMR, Shure VN5MR stylus, VPI Scout turntable
Shellac: Shure M91, Shure N75-3 stylus,  Dual 1218 turntable

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones

BillT

• World Citizen
Re: Interesting article about vinyl...
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 01:25:54 am »

A remarkably stupid article which says nothing about the carrier, vinyl, and makes a few very vague claims about the method used to make the recordings.

When you look at the about page of Digital Journal, it's not surprising that they've produced typical journalistic content free fluff.

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 04:03:07 am »

I can not add to be debate on the "quality" of the mastering from then to now.... but on the topic of vinyl as a medium, what's not to "love" about the "warmth" unavoidable noise of pop, wow, flutter, and rumble from vinyl.  Looking forward to their follow-up article on how Betacam/VHS is the king of video mediums (or was it Super8!!!). 
I'm not a python at JRiver - just another Aussie

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 06:17:59 am »

I think the "vinyl sound" does have artistic appeal however.  In this Music Video it is used to good effect for the first 20sec then the sound track cleans up. 
I'm not a python at JRiver - just another Aussie

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 08:24:14 pm »

.... but on the topic of vinyl as a medium, what's not to "love" about the "warmth" unavoidable noise of pop, wow, flutter, and rumble from vinyl. ...

I agree completely that vinyl has, ummm, issues with the background noise as the music plays. 

Such background noise can be intrusive, or not, depending upon how the particular record company treats its production process.  Some are better than others.  Some record companies used recycled vinyl, resulting in bits of paper record labels intermixing with the music.  Yuck.  Other companies used only virgin vinyl resulting is a surprisingly quiet background.

Unfortunately, for the goal of people who appreciate the music over the media, it was not always possible to distinguish among the various vinyl qualities involved.  We were stuck with what the records companies gave us.

For rock on major labels, typically the "first pressing" was virgin vinyl.  Subsequent pressings were recycled vinyl.

But the article I cited was not really about clicks and pops and rumble.

It was about the mix.  The participation of the recording engineer in the process of making the record. 

Would the Beatles be The Beatles without Sir Martin?  (that's probably a whole different thread... :)  )

I have both vinyl and CD versions of many albums.

Why do the CD versions of many of those albums sound so differently?

It is not about the media. It is about the mix.

So yeah, I'll agree the article I cited was short on detail (way short).

But it did provide pointers for further exploration of music.

And that's a good thing.  Yes?

=========

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2023, 10:36:05 pm »

I think the "vinyl sound" does have artistic appeal however.  In this Music Video it is used to good effect for the first 20sec then the sound track cleans up.

Yeah, but why do you seem to need to post an artificial effect to show your view?

:)

=========

Pages: [1]   Go Up